Goon Fever

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I have enjoyed looking at other people's goons but have never built one myself, even back in the day of the originals. I thought they were stupid then.

THey probably still are but they have grown on me so I took the plunge.

I had a box waiting for me when I got home from the church today.

It was from the Sandman. I ordered a nose cone from him and also his complete set of goonie plans and decals.

Now what am I going to tell Gracie?

That might work...but I'm still gald I run faster than her.

I'll probably start with the 57 Goony but who knows.

Has anyone built a Goony-Dent? I'm interested in that one. I like the Iron Wombat, too. (Oh, heck - I like all of them.) So far, I have built the Apogoon and Der Fat Max. (Still haven't done my Goony Bird Zero yet.) I'd like to see that '57 Goony, John. Up until about a year ago, Phred had a picture of it to go with the description on Excelsior's website. Looked pretty cool.

MarkII

Has anyone built a Goony-Dent? I'm interested in that one. I like the Iron Wombat, too. (Oh, heck - I like all of them.) So far, I have built the Apogoon and Der Fat Max. (Still haven't done my Goony Bird Zero yet.) I'd like to see that '57 Goony, John. Up until about a year ago, Phred had a picture of it to go with the description on Excelsior's website. Looked pretty cool.

MarkII

That will probably be the first one I tackle. I need to order some parts first, though.

As for the originals, They were intended for 13mm motors. has anyone tried them with 18s?

Hi Guiys,

The Excelsior Goonies (except the Goonydent) are all intended to fly on 18mm motors. The Goonydent flies on 24mm motors. I still have all of the proitoitypes, and they all fly well. The original 1973 Goonies "flew" 13mm motors. I bet I could throw them higher than a 13mm can push them....

I personally would not build any Goony with a 13mm mount these days.

Phred

Hi Guiys,

The Excelsior Goonies (except the Goonydent) are all intended to fly on 18mm motors. The Goonydent flies on 24mm motors. I still have all of the proitoitypes, and they all fly well. The original 1973 Goonies "flew" 13mm motors. I bet I could throw them higher than a 13mm can push them....

I personally would not build any Goony with a 13mm mount these days.

Phred

That's good to know.

I'm going to make a real effort, before this decade is out, to build and launch all the goons in inventory now and return them safely to earth.

I'm going to make a real effort, before this decade is out, to build and launch all the goons in inventory now and return them safely to earth.
Will you be contracting with thousands of companies, employing hundreds of thousands of workers, and committing the lion's share of your discretionary budget for the next several years in order to achieve it? :confused:

Need I even ask? :roll::roll::roll:

You had better hurry up, though; you have five months left in the current decade. (And no secret, underfunded, rushed and half-baked boondoggles like the N1, either, whose existence you will deny for the next 20 years... :rolleyes: )

MarkII

Will you be contracting with thousands of companies, employing hundreds of thousands of workers, and committing the lion's share of your discretionary budget for the next several years in order to achieve it? :confused:

Need I even ask? :roll::roll::roll:

You had better hurry up, though; you have five months left in the current decade. (And no secret, underfunded, rushed and half-baked boondoggles like the N1, either, whose existence you will deny for the next 20 years... :rolleyes: )

MarkII

You raise a lot of sore points here.

I don't know about thousands of companies but check out post number 27 here: https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=2196&page=2

Lion's part of discretionary budget? You gotta be kidding me. I'm also using the buzzard's share.

As to the N1, that is a very sore point. The one I've worked on is clustered correctly and 19 feet tall. So far it has NOT blown up. I haven't gotten anywhere near that far. I'll probably not wait 20 years to divulge the details but then again I might.

BTW, I'm NOT kidding.

You raise a lot of sore points here....
John,

Since you made a Kennedy-like statement ("before this decade is out..."), I was making a Project Apollo analogy, asking if you were going to be like NASA in the 1960's (and the US Congress that made its budget appropriations). (My prediction: maybe, after a fashion. Or at least it will seem like that.) Or else if you would be like the Soviet missile and space establishment's approach to the "moon race" and the N1 rocket in the '60's... (Prediction: highly unlikely. In fact, the chances of that are practically nil. So did I really even need to ask?)

Nothing more than that. It wasn't meant as a put-down.

MarkII

John,

Since you made a Kennedy-like statement ("before this decade is out..."), I was making a Project Apollo analogy, asking if you were going to be like NASA in the 1960's (and the US Congress that made its budget appropriations). (My prediction: maybe, after a fashion. Or at least it will seem like that.) Or else if you would be like the Soviet missile and space establishment's approach to the "moon race" and the N1 rocket in the '60's... (Prediction: highly unlikely. In fact, the chances of that are practically nil. So did I really even need to ask?)

Nothing more than that. It wasn't meant as a put-down.

MarkII

I didn't take it as a put down and answered it in all seriousness.

I figure I have provided "gainful employment" in the rocket biz to plenty of people on the list I mentioned plus a few others in the retail business. The goal being of course, to build lots of rockets.:D

I had to laugh at the N1 refference because it reminded me of something I was actually involved in with a manufacturer due to some eqpipment I have. I produced the "wraps" for an N1 that stands about 19 feet tall. We had big dreams for it but technical problems have kept it from getting anywhere. :jaw:

Sound familiar?

It made me laugh.

One of the problems with a medium like this is that slights can be perceived when none are intended. Let me assure you that I did NOT perceive any. Really.

If I "sounded a bit snippy" it is I who should apologize. Its been a rough few days around here and some of that may unintentionally have come through. I did not intend for it to do so but, then again, I am a notorious screwup.

Just ask SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!:bangpan:

Now I understand. OK, we're all good now. :)

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

MarkII

I really enjoyed building the Goonydent. The instructions have you use an Estes tri-fold shock cord attachment, but I found a better way. When you cut off the shoulder of the aft NC for the crew cabin, leave the chock cord attachment intact and use that. Just make sure to line it up between ducts. The rocket is a great performer and a hit at demo launches. There is lots of debris stuck in the engine compartment that rattles around.

Latest posts

Back