Google Directions: Technically correct, but....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
1. Go to https://maps.google.com
2. Click on "Get Directions"
3. From: New York, NY
4. To: Dublin, Ireland
5. Check out step #23.
6. Scroll back up and check your travel time.

Priceless!

:D

Roflmao.:p Sounds like you have to be able to swim really fast for a really long time.:p You have too much time on your hands.;)

Originally posted by KermieD
1. Go to https://maps.google.com
2. Click on "Get Directions"
3. From: New York, NY
4. To: Dublin, Ireland
5. Check out step #23.
6. Scroll back up and check your travel time.

Priceless!

:D

Slow day at the office? :D

And they sure to take you on a trip? Not the most direct route!!!!!! You have to go to France, then England before going to Ireland?????

haha nice. I wonder how many miles to the calorie i get :p

Ben

Just put my son on a plane to [eventually] Italy for spring break. His first major trip and only 3rd time on a plane. I ran Google maps fro Cincinnati to Rome, printed off, and handed to him in case he got lost/separated from the group. He cracked up, and it quickly made the rounds with his whole school group.

Expedia's too darned smart--bounced me right away when trying to connect North America and Europe.

Just put my sone on a plane to [eventually] Italy for spring break. His first major trip and only 3rd time on a plane. I ran Google maps fro Cincinnati to Rome, printed off, and handed to him in case he got lost/separated from the group. He cracked up, and it quickly made the rounds with his whole school group.

Expedia's too darned smart--bounced me right away when trying to connect North America and Europe.

Haha! That's halarious. Type in Miami, Florida to Dublin, Ireland. It has you drive up to New York, then swim across the Atlantic.

Originally posted by rocketkyle
Haha! That's halarious. Type in Miami, Florida to Dublin, Ireland. It has you drive up to New York, then swim across the Atlantic.
I guess google maps hasn't reached Pythagareom (I kno it's probably spelled wrong) theory in their text books yet!!

Originally posted by Bigander
I guess google maps hasn't reached Pythagareom (I kno it's probably spelled wrong) theory in their text books yet!!

What does the pythagorean theorem have to do with directions?:confused:

The distance traveled along the hypotenuse is shorter than the distance traveled along the other two sides. (a + b > c )

In other words, a direct line is always your shortest route.

-Aaron

Which doesn't really apply to the surface of a sphere, where the shortest route without burrowing is actually a great circle route...

Originally posted by cjl
Which doesn't really apply to the surface of a sphere, where the shortest route without burrowing is actually a great circle route...

Which is actually both the direct line and the shortest route.
Without burrowing.

:p

Google still has a sense of humour most of the time.

But one needs to be careful with these online maps.

The map I used from Mapquest to get to Narcon was wrong in one area.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Which is actually both the direct line and the shortest route.
Without burrowing.

:p

It is the shortest route...

It is not a straight line on most maps though...

That's because maps are wrong.
It is a straight line on a globe.

Back