Good Idea Fairy: Hybrid sensor to notify LCO that venting has occurred

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, this is a military term: "Goof Idea Fairy". I have an idea for a sensor at the away cell that detects the temperature drop from venting and notifies the LCO that a launch is possible. Has anyone done it before?

Yes, the late Bill Spadafora had built a remote system for the hybrid rockets he and other CMASS members flew. His profession was plumbing and he held a bachelors degree from Tufts in Mechanical Engineering. A rocket could be set up at the HPR pad with the system and then be triggered remotely to fill the rocket's tank when that pad's turn came up. There was a flashing white light to indicate the system was operating. A thermocouple would be positioned next to the vent as past of the set up. When the TC sensed the temperature drop, a yellow flashing light was triggered. This signaled the LCO to wrap up the patter and start the count down.

Yes, in the wireless hybrid controller I am currently building I use a temperature sensor adjacent the Nitrous vent to detect when the venting occurs. This event is transmitted to the launch controller at the LCO table and a beeper sounds at the pad.

Yes I did one about 10 years ago and sold a few. Bill Spadafora used it.

Edit: If there is interest I will make another run. But I will need at least 20 committed orders to make it worthwhile. Which likely means it will never happen.

Last edited:
Yes, in the wireless hybrid controller I am currently building I use a temperature sensor adjacent the Nitrous vent to detect when the venting occurs. This event is transmitted to the launch controller at the LCO table and a beeper sounds at the pad.
Cool stuff

Yes I did one about 10 years ago and sold a few. Bill Spadafora used it.

Edit: If there is interest I will make another run. But I will need at least 20 committed orders to make it worthwhile. Which likely means it will never happen.
Hi John. Thanks for this information. I knew Bill got some of the system from a vendor but I didn't know who.
You're right, with the win at the Supreme Court level, the popularity of hybrids has fallen off. Getting 20 clubs/individuals who want one now would be tough.
One of our club members has expressed interest in taking control of the equipment but nothing has happened in that vein yet.

Back