Good prices on Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga1ba2

Reaction score
Has anyone done business with LEARNING THINGS . com. They have some good prices on ESTES rocket kits and supplies.

I have zero experience with that company, but would suggest those Estes prices aren't that great. Try Tower Hobbies (towerhobbies.com) for better online pricing, especially on the motors.

They have some Estes that are 50 to 70% off. I am thinking about a Rubicon for around $16 and free shipping over $25.:cyclops:

Hobbylinc.com has been my regular source Aerotech E, F, & G motors for the past few years.......G64 @ 8.99!! E18 @ 15.29 (3-pak of reloads)
https://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/tc_3.htm Beats Tower by 1.50. Estes is slightly cheaper than Tower.

I get my best prices on Estes (though somewhat limited selection) at Michael's (arts & crafts) using a 40% or 50% off coupon from Michael's, AC Moore, or even JoAnne's Fabrics. Those of you in Hobby Lobby country prolly do the same.

Also, Hobbylinc.com gives free shipping over 250.00. Not planning to drop that much? Tell a couple rocket buddies you're ordering & tell 'em some prices. Pitch in & everybody gets a deal & free shipping. A couple of us ordered discounted Dremel accessories & LOC body tubes last week to make the free shipping minimum.

And generally everything's instock........no out of stock or backordering routine usually.

DISCLAIMER...I'm not affiliated with hobbylinc, other than being a satisfied customer.......just a fellow rocketeer trying to hip you to a good thing.

--Richard Hickok, NAR 74359 L1
MDRA, NOVAAR, & some years METRA

I tested the waters with this company this weekend. I placed an order sunday and got an order confirmation soon after. This morning i got an e-mail that my order was shipping and also received tracking info. I'll let you know when i get it.

Chris

For AP (composite reloads) I'd highly recommend buying straight from the source; Aerotech at valuerockets.com. Why pay marked up distributor prices? Eliminate the middle-man and go straight to Gary Rosenfield, who produces the stuff.

AK, even though valuerockets.com IS Aerotech, they offer a only very limited selection D, E, & F motors. That being said though, I must confess that I did order some E15s (was happy with the price & that they had 'em) & got a new 24mm reload hardware & dropped just over $100, to get free shipping. A couple weeks later, I rounded up my rocket "shopping buddies" & we got plenty more motors from Hobbylinc (& got over $250 worth for free shipping).

I thought valuerockets purpose was to offer an affordable introduction to composite motors & then once they're hooked, they'll go on to buy plenty more other AT motors.

Richard Hickok

Hobbylinc.com has been my regular source Aerotech E, F, & G motors for the past few years.......G64 @ 8.99!! E18 @ 15.29 (3-pak of reloads)
https://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/tc_3.htm Beats Tower by 1.50. Estes is slightly cheaper than Tower.

I get my best prices on Estes (though somewhat limited selection) at Michael's (arts & crafts) using a 40% or 50% off coupon from Michael's, AC Moore, or even JoAnne's Fabrics. Those of you in Hobby Lobby country prolly do the same.

Also, Hobbylinc.com gives free shipping over 250.00. Not planning to drop that much? Tell a couple rocket buddies you're ordering & tell 'em some prices. Pitch in & everybody gets a deal & free shipping. A couple of us ordered discounted Dremel accessories & LOC body tubes last week to make the free shipping minimum.

And generally everything's instock........no out of stock or backordering routine usually.

DISCLAIMER...I'm not affiliated with hobbylinc, other than being a satisfied customer.......just a fellow rocketeer trying to hip you to a good thing.

--Richard Hickok, NAR 74359 L1
MDRA, NOVAAR, & some years METRA

DITTO,
I have been shopping there too the last couple of years. Usually I buy AT hobbyline motors and some estes now & then.
they had G80 on sale last year for about $16 each, I bought A lot of them.
I don't think my HPR vendor can get them cheap!

For AP (composite reloads) I'd highly recommend buying straight from the source; Aerotech at valuerockets.com. Why pay marked up distributor prices? Eliminate the middle-man and go straight to Gary Rosenfield, who produces the stuff.

Hobbylinc has some stuff cheaper than valuerockets.
But you can't beat the free shipping over $100 though.

I order from Hobbylinc often and make sure my orders are over $500 for the free shipping AND the extra 5% off.

My last order wiped them out of the Revell Germany 1:144 scale C-17 plastic models. I got 27 of them and have another 28 on backorder. Once those arrive I may be ordering another $#!+load. The folks at work here where we design and build the C-17 can't get enough of them and some of my coworkers at various bases have me getting them for them so they can pick them up next time they travel to Long Beach.

AK, even though valuerockets.com IS Aerotech, they offer a only very limited selection D, E, & F motors. That being said though, I must confess that I did order some E15s (was happy with the price & that they had 'em) & got a new 24mm reload hardware & dropped just over $100, to get free shipping. A couple weeks later, I rounded up my rocket "shopping buddies" & we got plenty more motors from Hobbylinc (& got over $250 worth for free shipping).

I thought valuerockets purpose was to offer an affordable introduction to composite motors & then once they're hooked, they'll go on to buy plenty more other AT motors.

Richard Hickok

I'd suggest you contact AT and/or Gary Rosenfield and see what they can do. I'm pretty confident (although I can't speak for him) if there's a market, Gary will fill it.

Not at his prices. Only the entry-level stuff is cheap from Value Rockets, everything else is full-retail. :shock:

They have some Estes that are 50 to 70% off. I am thinking about a Rubicon for around $16 and free shipping over $25.:cyclops:

I give them four thumbs up! We placed an order, got confirmation that day and it was shipped the next day. Kits came in and were as advertised.
Yeah, the Rubicons are a good deal.

I looked further at https://www.learningthings.com/items.asp?Bc=ESTES&BrandDesc=Estes+Model+Rockets & saw they had a good price on plugged D11s (& I've got a use for them), so I figured I'd get a little over 25 bucks & get free shipping, as was mentioned by ga1ba2. But when I clicked on the free shipping button, it said:

Requirements for this Free Shipping offer:
Order total must exceed $300.00.

So how do you get free shipping after $25 from them?

Richard Hickok

When I first went to the site a pop up opened and you needed to enter your email address and they sent an email with a code for free shipping on one order over 25 dollars. The free shipping was only valid for 24 hours. I took advantage of the offer. I got the Rubicon for $16 and two other Estes at 50%off an X prize Eagle for about $8 and an X prize Thunderstar for about $10. The order was shipped the next day. I did see something on the site for free shipping over $300. I think you need to sign up for their email list to get a better offer

Last edited:
ga1ba2, your earlier post gave the impression over $25 & free shipping were a standard thing rather than a one-time-thing, if you can even find what hoops to jump through, at learningthings.com...........somewhat misleading.

Sorry:eek: I should have been more specific about their free shipping. Anyway, I received my order today everything in good order. Placed order on Saturday and received it Thursday . Not bad at all. They also enclosed a free catalog of their products. Add Learningthings.com to the list of good vendors.

Got my shipment in today. Everything was there and in good shape. Plus if you check the coupon code on the back of the catalog it is for free shipping on orders over $100 so i will probably hit them up again.

Thanks for the tip ga1ba2!

Chris

Back