Good news

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specifically in response to bobby_hamill's request for good news for today: Michigan Team-1 held its last launch of the year at Alkay Airport on Saturday 11/20/21. What made it special was the attendance by over a dozen local college students looking to get certified in high power rocketry. I'm a 65 year old grizzled curmudgeon, but I still get a big kick out of being around young people. So full of enthusiasm, optimism, and hope!
Bob Schultz

I still get a big kick out of being around young people. So full of enthusiasm, optimism, and hope!

Likewise! I am fortunate enough to be part of a team at work with a growing population of folks much younger than I. I'm officially an old timer now (42 years old and been there >18 years) but the younger people I get to work with now are just plain awesome. So smart, curious and definitely bring some energy that we need. I am fortunate enough to get to learn from them and I get to share with them things that only experience brings. It's a ton of fun. So, there, more good news :)

Took me a minute to understand this post. Around here "BP" is black powder.
or Base Pair? British Petroleum? Before Present? Birthplace? Bills Payable?

I'm home (the Texas one) and my son-in-law and youngest daughter surprised me by shredding my pasture (10 acres) and mowing my yard (almost 3 acres). Pecans shed limbs so they picked those up and burned the pile. Pecan limbs, btw, make very hot (good) charcoal for making BP. Small (1" diameter or less) green limbs work better than dry. The back porch was looking a little sketchy and they cleaned that up. I got in too late to see the work that was done but the next morning, sitting on the back patio drinking coffee I started to notice. Actually,,, just being able to sit on the back patio was the biggest clue. :D

Just FYI living in two different states is overrated. I work in NW NM (rent there) and my home is in TX. I drive 1,000 miles one way 5-6 times a year. On the upside I'd have probably never gotten into HP rocketry if not for the 4CRA...

Because they did all of that work I've had time to make a new well house door, visit them and my grandkids, visit my oldest daughter (her boys were at their dads). Thanksgiving day I'll be at my oldest son's place with my oldest daughter. I'm planning to grill (drum roll) chicken :D. I've grilled a turkey (hint - look up spatchcock) and it's good but none of us are feeling the turkey this year...

I'm hoping to go on a night hog hunt tonight with my son-in-law. He's hoping to get something in the 250+ range for a contest. I'm just looking forward to shooting with a nice thermal scope and suppressed AR. With any luck I'll go deer hunting on Saturday. I don't think there will be time to go fishing at the coast :confused: but.. I'd rather have the time than have to make the time. Rushing steals the joy out it. Like the song says - "I'm in a hurry to get things done, oh I I rush and rush until life's no fun. All you really gotta do is live an die and I'm in a hurry and don't know why...

Happy TG all

How did folks go through that whole postal pun routine without noting this new (and quite clever) rocket from Apogee... https://www.apogeerockets.com/Model-Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-3-Model-Rocket-Kits/Air-Mail

My good news: well, nothing much on the sports front, being a Mets and Jets fan. Right now I'll just go with having a few days off work, which has been pretty stressful these days due to the chip shortage situation. We'll be at my in-laws' for Thanksgiving, so I won't need to do much other than sit around and stuff my face. Well, that and fix an assortment of household IT issues, but that's usually not too bad. :)

How did folks go through that whole postal pun routine without noting this new (and quite clever) rocket from Apogee... https://www.apogeerockets.com/Model-Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-3-Model-Rocket-Kits/Air-Mail

My good news: well, nothing much on the sports front, being a Mets and Jets fan. Right now I'll just go with having a few days off work, which has been pretty stressful these days due to the chip shortage situation. We'll be at my in-laws' for Thanksgiving, so I won't need to do much other than sit around and stuff my face. Well, that and fix an assortment of household IT issues, but that's usually not too bad. :)
It's a Goblin with a different paint scheme.

Not trying to sound like a downer, but my wife passed early this year after years of "increasing diminished mental capacity". I was her caretaker at home and traveling for the last five years of her life. She wasn't nearly the same person toward the end that she was my wonderful wife for near 45 years. The point of this on the good news front, although many may think it to soon, I have met and thoroughly enjoy the company of a, slightly, younger than me lady. As I am far closer to the end of the road than the start I intend to enjoy life to its' fullest. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I plan to.

Blessed beyond anything I deserve, having lunch with mom and siblings this afternoon. This evening spending time with my wife, kids and soon to be, son in law.

Back