Good mid-power to high-power transition..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blike

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, solid kit to make the mid-power to high power transition. I'd like to be able to fly it on both 29mm and 38mm motors, so I can work my way up.

I like the Caliber ISP, but it seems the rocket comes with a 54mm motor mount. However, the website says it can fly (safely) on a G80, does that mean I can get a 29mm adapter for it? I really like this rocket, but will I be able to use my 29mm G80 motors in it and work up to 38mm?

Also, how difficult is it to build?

Thanks!

I have a Caliber ISP. I love it, I've flown it on H180s to J210s, so far 8 flights total. I built mine quite a bit heavy,mine is a bit heavy to comfortable with on G80s, but it would work fine on a calm day. If it is built stock, a G80-4 should be fine, heck, if it under 3 pounds, a G64-4 would work too. You would need an adaptor that you can get. It is pretty simple to build, the instructions are good, but you'll want to add some sort of motor retention and a nylon or kevlar leader on the shock cord. You may not want to use the LOC shock cord mount though, or the elastic shock cord. If you build it stock though it would be great.

As for other kits, a LOC Vulcanite was my dad's L1 cert rocket, it goes about 3k on a H153

An Aerotech Sumo would be good too probably.

what manufacture were you looking at?

Everything listed below will fly on Gs & Hs. Most of the smaller kits can fly on Fs & some/most/all can handle Is as well (if you have a BIG field). In no particular order...

1) Any of the Public Missiles, Ltd. Very High Altitude kits.

2) Any of the LOC kits with a 29mm MMT & most of the 38mm MMT kits (too many to list).

3) BSD Diablo (both 3" & 4" versions) & BSD 3" Horizon.

4) Any of the Binder Design kits that have a "Jr." in the name.

5) Any US Rockets kit with a 29 or 38mm MMT.

There are more but I can't think of 'em right now. This ought to be enough to get you started anyway!

HTH,

the aerotech sumo is awesome, i want to get one. im grabbing a 29/180 casing and probably that rocket. because i've seen it on G75's, and i KNOW that its itching for an H. i would've put dougs sumo on an H (as charity) but i ran out of time at the launch. next year though...next year. also, there are plenty of high power options for 29mm. so any heavy 29mm kit should do fine. my suggestion though, go out and get a 38/240-480 set, great wide range of motors, plus, you can get some honkin rockets up on em. and there are more rockets built for HPR with those mounts in them.

Originally posted by blike
I'm looking for a good, solid kit to make the mid-power to high power transition. I'd like to be able to fly it on both 29mm and 38mm motors, so I can work my way up.

I like the Caliber ISP, but it seems the rocket comes with a 54mm motor mount. However, the website says it can fly (safely) on a G80, does that mean I can get a 29mm adapter for it? I really like this rocket, but will I be able to use my 29mm G80 motors in it and work up to 38mm?

Also, how difficult is it to build?

Thanks!

I've been looking at the Caliber for 54mm. Haven't considered it for smaller.

Look at the LOC Vulcanite. 38mm, handles up through I power stock. Costs about $50 mail order these days. Straight forward build, heavy duty result. Comes with a 29mm adapter. I've flown it on an F20 (6' long rod needed; 900'+ flight). Be aware that LOC kits don't come with motor retention. If I were building it again I'd spring for a Slimline bell nozzle retainer and 29mm adapter because it'd look cool. However, that'd cost almost as much as the kit. The one I have does fine with two bolts epoxied head first in the space between body and Jefferies tube, a washer and knurled nut on each, with larger washers for when I use the 29mm adapter; cost maybe $2. I retrofitted mine by drilling the existing epoxy and gluing these in. It'd be real easy building them in.

Since its fins don't come down to the end of the body and the motor tube doesn't protrude, it can land fairly fast without damage. That means a smaller chute and less chance of losing it. It comes with a 28" chute, but could land safely on a 24", or 30" X-chute.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't use mine for my L1 attempt rather than blowing it with a scratch built.
D'oh!

The PML Small Endeavour is a 38MM bird that flies well on 29mm G's. I've launched mine on a G64, and it was a great flight! Awesome looking rocket, too...

Originally posted by DynaSoar
...Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't use mine for my L1 attempt rather than blowing it with a scratch built.
D'oh!

That V-2 was a scratch build? Yikes. I'm even more sorry for your loss, then.

Back