Good medium/low altitude rocket with A-engine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash6

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good kit to build that would stay between 200-400 feet on an A8-3 (or similar engine). Any thoughts?

Our local Wal-Mart sells engines CHEAP---$4.97 per 3-pack---but the selection is limited to A8-3's and C6-3's (no difference in price BTW). No B's on the shelf for the last month or 2.

My flying field is a little small so I'd like to keep the rocket a bit lower. Seems that most of the smaller rockets really take off with the A8-3's but the larger ones only get to about 100 feet with them. Any middle ground?

Thanks for any help!

The FlisKits Stingray may get 150-200 feet out of an A if built light. The Deuce's Wild! with a pair of A motors may do the same (2 engine cluster)

Also, those C6-3 would work great in a Pheord X150 flying saucer even in the smallest of fields :)

jim

The Squirrel Works JX-1 and Red Baron give very nice low altitude flights on A8-3 engines. The X-RV is great for a small field using the C6-3.

Baby Bertha.

Or any of the "modified" versions available from Astronboy.

sandman

Try the Estes Alpha, in just about any of its incarnations.
Or the Chrome Domes are pretty good.
Also; the Sky Writer, Bandit, Banshee, Wizard, Yankee, or Viking.
(No, I don't own any stock in Estes.)

If you have a small field and are worried about recovering your rockets, try substituting a small streamer on the rockets equipped with a parachute. You can order streamer material from Fliskits or Totally Tubular (and others), or you can go to your local sporting goods store and get a 'space blanket' for a couple bucks. Those things are about six by eight feet, and are made of decent mylar, already silvered. Cut off a strip as wide as you need; one space blanket is pretty much a lifetime supply of streamers. It's not the kind of material you would want for competition but it works great for sport fliers.

Another recovery system you might want to try is 'nose blow' (this has nothing to do with Kleenex tissues). The nose cone separates at ejection and the rocket tumbles down quickly. You may not want to try this unless you have lots of nice grass to cushion the landing?

(Big thumbs-up on the Baby Bertha idea, BTW)

i love the baby bertha on a-motors and a streamer...
always comes down real close!

What? Everyone is forgetting about one of our favorite free rockets here! Go to Fliskits website and download the Midnight Express - That is a great rocket to fly on an A8-3. In fact, I'd only fly it on an A8-3 unless you don't want it back! It's a great-performing little rocket, and you can't beat the price! ;)

Greg

May I suggest a cloned K27 Honest John? I believe that Thrustaero sells them.

https://www.thrustaero.com/pages/kits.htm

I cloned one a couple years ago and it is a great A8-3 eater. For added challenge you could also build the optional nose cone mounted spin engines.

My vote is for the Edmonds CiCi. IMHO, this is the absolute best way to burn an A motor. The boost is short and quick but the glide makes the flight very enjoyable! You can pick one of those up at JonRocket.com or see their Edmonds catalog <a href="https://www.jonrocket.com/EDMONDS.html">HERE</a>. Not bad for only $7.55!

Don't forget any of Art Applewhite's products too! In particular, there's his free 13mm Qubit, which will burn up the Estes A10-PT motors ALL DAY LONG :D

The FlisKits Midnight Express is another fun rocket although you're looking at 300-400ft on an A8-3. That rocket screams with such a small motor!

HTH,

Art Applewhite's cone rockets are worth a look - my 18mm one lands almost next to the pad ... even on Cs. Semroc's Squire keeps low on an A8-3, but still puts in a respectable flight; also, because of its design, the fins are not the first bit to hit the ground, so makes it a good candidate for streamer-ization. The Custom Razor is another rocket worth putting a streamer in. Its tube fins can be easily re-shaped with a D engine if it touches down too fast - she still gets a few hundred feet on an A, but the streamer keeps her from drifting.

Quest Viper.

Super sturdy.

Long enough for a proper amount of wadding (Alphas are too short IMO).

Kevlar shock cord attachment line.

Did I say "Super Sturdy"?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5912739836

Originally posted by Flash6
I'm looking for a good kit to build that would stay between 200-400 feet on an A8-3 (or similar engine). Any thoughts?

Our local Wal-Mart sells engines CHEAP---$4.97 per 3-pack---but the selection is limited to A8-3's and C6-3's (no difference in price BTW). No B's on the shelf for the last month or 2.

My flying field is a little small so I'd like to keep the rocket a bit lower. Seems that most of the smaller rockets really take off with the A8-3's but the larger ones only get to about 100 feet with them. Any middle ground?

Thanks for any help!

Another vote for the Custom Razor. I put a yellow "police line do not cross" streamer in it and usually use it as a first launch wind tester. It's tough too. I'll bet I've got over 50 flights on it.

I also love to fly the Semroc Astro-1 on A's. I gave it one of my better paint jobs (I hate painting), so I don't want to lose it. It really does a good job on an A.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Two of my favorite rockets in my fleet are my Quest Totally Tubular, and my Semroc Micron. They're both great straight fliers, come down on streamers so you don't need to chase 'em all over God's green earth, and are durable little guys.

I'm also all over the Razor... Very Reliable, fun build, build it at night fly it in the morning. I'm on my third one cause I was using larger than A engines with a Chute. Change out chute for streamer as others have suggested. #3 has flown and recovered at least 6 times now. Only tricky part is how the lines at the front of the BT line up when you decal it. Oh Yeah...Launch lug between the tube spaces also.

Andy

A Big Bertha or a Fliskit Rhino on a B6-4 is more fun than any or those and easier for "old' eyes to follow.

Besides...bigger is always better.

Our local club had a "Bertha" competition day a few yers back.

"A" Bertha Parachute duration ("A" motors only)
"C" Bertha Streamer Duration
Bertha "Spot Landing'

Very fun day!! and not one rocket lost!

sandman

I know you asked about A-powered stuff, but if you open up to B, C, or even D, there are some really good kits for demo flying.

The Bertha (and the Quest 'Big Betty' version) and Rhino would both be good. A Big Daddy on C11 or D power would be great. They are very easy to see, and the bigger motors seem to impress the crowds more

Originally posted by powderburner

The Bertha (and the Quest 'Big Betty' version) and Rhino would both be good. A Big Daddy on C11 or D power would be great. They are very easy to see, and the bigger motors seem to impress the crowds more

Another good one is the Fliskits Praetor on a B4-2 or B6-2. Those big fins keep it slow and low.

Not to go further off topic, but the FlisKits Pheord X150 saucer is great on A, B and C and can be flown in your front yard :)

Also, for A motors, our Triple Threat (three 13mm flying saucers that go great on A10-3T motors)

Flash6,

So basically what we are saying...there are LOTS of rockets that meet your needs.

sandman

WHOA Nellie!

I guess there are a few choices. Thanks to everyone for chipping in. I'll keep researching based on all the recommendations. Kinda excited about exploring outside the world of Estes/Quest also.

Thanks again!

Clusters are fun. Try the Astron Ranger. Burn them 3 at-a-time!

For motors, skip WallyWorld. Go to Micheals with 40% off coupon and buy a bulk pack. For aboout $29 you get 6 each A8-3, B6-4, C6-3, and C6-5.

...Fred

https://nar.org/NARmrsc.html

I stand by the Quest Viper. Your field may be so small that you must restrict power based upon the NAR MRSC. Even though a flying saucer on a C will not go as high as a Viper on an A.

Originally posted by Flash6

Thanks for any help!

Back