Quantcast

Good Launch Session This Morning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

milehigh

Reaction score
Got three model rocket flights in this morning.

First off was my flagship Hornet on a 1/2A . Excellent flight. The model was now equipped with a 24” shock cord, so there were no more fin-mashing snap backs of the payload section. I think I’ll start flying this one on A engines soon. The field is certainly spacious enough and the model always lands close to the launch pad with streamer recovery.

Next up was the Mosquito on a ¼A. Set the launch rod angle at about 5 degrees from vertical. Good boost – was able to track the model to ejection, then it disappeared! Drat!! After a 15+ minute search I finally found the bird. Even in with super bright paint and a nice manicured turf, this bugger was still a challenge to find! The landing spot was 52 paces (Approx 150’) from the launch pad.

Note: you might notice that the engine is halfway out of the tube in the pre-flight picture. It was a loose fit, so before launch, I supported the model on the engine casing with a clothespin. Worked fine.

Had so much fun with the Mosquito, I decided to torture myself and fly it again. After all, my goal is to get at least 10 returned flights out of this beastie.

2[SUP]nd[/SUP] launch was good, but some bright cloud cover prevented me from seeing the delay smoke trail. I had to rely solely on which direction I heard the ejection ‘pop’ to get some idea about where the bird would likely land. This time the search was only 5 minutes with the model being found around 90 paces from the pad.

Anyway, I’ve reconfirmed the fact that model rocketry is fun!!

Man, I’ve got to get some Boost/Gliders built and out on this field!

Hornet Aug 11.jpgMosquito 1st flight aug 11.jpgBig field, little bird.jpgMosquito 2nd flight Aug 11.jpg

goose_in_co

Reaction score
Congrats on finding the Mosquito, Twice! Looks like a nice field to launch from.

ROCKETMANIA

Reaction score
Nice work!

I would definitely get a couple of larger A/B/C rockets for that field - easier to spot on the decent as well! Our little Alpha IIIs zoom up there on C5s, but with A and Bs they are easy to track in smaller locations.