Good large BP model for demos?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_B

Reaction score
Our small club does quite a few demo flights over the year for various kid's groups. I've been using my Executioner on Aerotech reloads 'cause the E9 is just too low initial thrust if there are any winds-- however, it's quite nice in low winds with its slow takeoffs.

I'm getting a little tired of the 'bonus' delays on the Aerotech reloads and want to find a new demo rocket that I can use good old reliable BP motors. Any ideas of a larger kit that would still be somewhat dramatic on D's or E's?

I can custom build something but would due to a lack of time would prefer a kit.

Here is a thread I started, about a "Stubby" rocket I made for demo flying.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=3896&highlight=stubby

I could perhaps make it into a one-shot custom "kit" if you'd rather not make something like it from scratch.

Another good one would be to "clone" the old Maxi-Alpha 3, using some BT-80 and Phoenix/V-2 nose cone.

- George Gassaway

Hey George- wow, your archived post sounds similar to what my ideas are too- something that's durable and flies cheaply. I'd rather spend more time doing the finishing work than putting a lot of money into the kit.

The main problem is the nose cone but I just may pull one out of one of my kits. I wouldn't expect you to have to make one for me.

By the way, your heli kit that you loaned me is just about ready to be shipped. Been way too busy since the flyoffs and now getting ready for the Capitol Cup.

Pat

Can't beat the Big Bertha for small fields. Cheap, reliable and slow enough for folks to follow.

For years, one of the most popular models we flew at the NIRA Labor Day Demonstration Launch was the Mean Machine.

Check out Larry Brand's Flat Black over on EMRR.

With an adaptor it flys great on C6's. Slow liftoff. Great in the wind. Stays low enough to see the ejection/recovery.

Other than the NC and Chute it's all tubing that you probably already have.

If you want it bigger it would probably upscale to a 60 size tubing but would most likely need C11's or D12's.

His 2BZ could easily be built for 24mm motors and is fairly substantial sized rocket for demos.

Neither cost much to make, go together fast and are great fliers.

The Fliskits DeCaffinator is fun. For a D powered rocket its really BIG and it won't go out of site. You can even add the optional glider for extra thrills. Please not that this is NOT a good choice if its windy. My son bought one at NARAM and now I'm afraid I'll be buying a whole lot more 24mm motors.

(I'm not looking forward to them pursuing MPR/HPR. Eeek!)

Yep, the Decaffeinator kit is a great choice.

Large, slow, great on C11, D12 and E9 motor, depending on field size. Can be constructed to separate in the middle, a real kid-magnet and all :)

jim

The Mercury Invador is a nice kit w/decent size. Easy to modify for dual or triple engines purchased through Mercury as well.

Our Screemin' Green Meenie would be a good option. She will fly on a C11, D12, D15, E9, E15, E18, and on up the AP scale, if you have to intestinal fortitude to try.

SGM_NEW_DSC_5314_460x792BGCR.jpg

CHeck it out under our Low Power kits section.

Any of Art Applewhite's Saucers.

I've done a bunch of demo launches this year for various groups (4H, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts...). My standard routine is to launch a variety of rockets (depending on the field) and then let the kids pick which one they want to prep & fly. Without Fail, the only thing that gets flown after the initial launch is whatever saucers I have. Low, Slow, Tons of Noise & Smoke!

The only drawback is that it doesn't look or fly like a "real" rocket, but I've yet to meet a kid that cared.

My :2:

The DeCaffinator is a good choice as well, although it can be destroyed pretty easily by the "recovery herd" if you're not careful

Estes' Big Daddy is also fun on an E9. First time I tried it on an E reload, it shredded the poor estes chute! :rolleyes:

Saucers are good for something completely different. And you can't get much different than the Fliskitts UFFO

All good ideas. I hadn't thought of the Mercury Eng. kits until I saw them on the Apogee site. I like the larger diameter rockets for the sake of visibility, rather than going taller. And Jim's creations would certainly fit the wow factor. And then the Green Meenie- another good option. Too many choices.

Try the Estes Amazon from The Tandem X Launch Set with a c 6-3

All good ideas. I hadn't thought of the Mercury Eng. kits until I saw them on the Apogee site. I like the larger diameter rockets for the sake of visibility, rather than going taller. And Jim's creations would certainly fit the wow factor. And then the Green Meenie- another good option. Too many choices.

Here's my Daughter Kathryn's Mercury Invader aptly named "Kat's Meow"

KatsMeowa.jpg

Attachments

• KatsMeow2.jpg
    KatsMeow2.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 11
LOC Viper 3

Big and sturdy yet simple
to build, lotsa fire and smoke
on 3 D12's....

Check out Larry Brand's Flat Black over on EMRR.

With an adaptor it flys great on C6's. Slow liftoff. Great in the wind. Stays low enough to see the ejection/recovery.

Other than the NC and Chute it's all tubing that you probably already have.

If you want it bigger it would probably upscale to a 60 size tubing but would most likely need C11's or D12's.

His 2BZ could easily be built for 24mm motors and is fairly substantial sized rocket for demos.

Neither cost much to make, go together fast and are great fliers.

I just looked for this there and couldn't find it. Searched by both names and came up empty

Found lots of references for paint, but nothing regarding a rocket of that name.

I did find the 2BZ and it looks nice; I think I'll be building one this winter. I've got a soft spot for tube fins.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

I just looked for this there and couldn't find it. Searched by both names and came up empty

Found lots of references for paint, but nothing regarding a rocket of that name.

I did find the 2BZ and it looks nice; I think I'll be building one this winter. I've got a soft spot for tube fins.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Try "Scratch Flatblack" in the search. I really like this one and have plans for building an upscale as soon as I finish the few I have started. If you search for "Larry Brand" it comes up as well. He has quite a few entries it came up at Number 18 this morning.

Can't really beat the Super Big Bertha, as a good size, small field demo rocket or an old Optima or Broadsword on either D12's or E9's, only goes about 100feet with a nice slow liftoff and flight everyone can follow. Course clustering either model makes em very goooood flyers. I really enjoy the Optima on 4 D12s

060-b2e_Optima Better Flight 4 pic pg_05-26-90.jpg

Last edited:
Try "Scratch Flatblack" in the search. I really like this one and have plans for building an upscale as soon as I finish the few I have started. If you search for "Larry Brand" it comes up as well. He has quite a few entries it came up at Number 18 this morning.

I was looking for it as two words-went back through the search results and found it fairly far down. Looks nice. I'll be building this one as well.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

Back