Good "E" powered Starter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mkmilion

Reaction score
I think I ready for MPR, so I just looking for suggestions. I personnally think that the Estes Eliminator doesn't look too bad. That and I'm partial to Estes.
Just post some ideas if you will.

Stymye

Reaction score
The Eliminator (aka Maniac) is a great rocket for the E-9...one of my favorite fliers...I reciently finished a Rastrocam using the maniac.

bmhiii

Reaction score
mkmilion,

Just a note, I've shot an Eliminator twice on E9-6 motors and it gets lots of altitude. This is not a bad thing, just make sure you have a pretty good sized field. The Eliminator is a very cool bird. With it's plastic fins, I think I'll go streamer next time.

You'll love it!!!

bmhiii

mkmilion

Reaction score
I got twenty acres to lanch on, and they is a neighboring 40. Which they don't care if I retrieve it.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I too love the Eliminator (Maniac). I have several in my time. I like to use them to carry Astrocam payloads. Great flights Aerotech motors to... like the D9 ;)

Jase

Reaction score
The Eliminator is nice, but I prefer the Executioner. It has always been a great flier.

If you use a little epoxy, it can fly on more than just the E's. I used to fly mine on AT E-28s and F-12s.

A

Austin

The Blue Ninja is also a good Estes flier...works great on E9's and low push RMS...it's a quick builder too!

Another choice that few will rebut is the Aerotech Mustang...I have seen it fly on E9's all the way to G64's...a great sturdy bird...and inexpensive compared to the rest of the Aerotech line.

Carl

sandman

Reaction score
Carl,

You've seen the Mustang fly on an E9?

How does it do?

I never concidered using an E9 in mine.

sandman

A

Austin

It flew very well Sandman, the only thing was they used a 4 foot long steel rod for rigidity and stability. Got a similar height as the E18.

Carl

Weekends

Reaction score
I am a big fan of any 29 mm LOC kit. You also might want to look into Aerotech kits. For an intro. kit, I would suggest an Aerotech kit. They are solid kits and easy to build. I really love my HV ARCAS from Aerotech.

Whatever you decide, let us know.

Weekends

mkmilion

Reaction score
I'll definately let you all know. I'm just getting some options right now. Of course.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
You might want to consider a LOC Aura. I believe it only weighs about 8 ounces & would probably fly well on an E9. You might want to put a 12-15" chute on it. I believe it still comes with a streamer.

astronboy

Reaction score
If you want to try F motors, the ESTES 4" V2 flies wonderfully on Aerotech F21's. The only mod I made is to use w thickwalled 24mm engine mount/stuffer tube,and i use double engine hooks.
Here is a pic of my V at lift-off with an F21

mkmilion

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go with the Eliminator.............................for now at least.

Hehehehahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by CTulanko
The Blue Ninja is also a good Estes flier...works great on E9's and low push RMS...it's a quick builder too!

Another choice that few will rebut is the Aerotech Mustang...I have seen it fly on E9's all the way to G64's...a great sturdy bird...and inexpensive compared to the rest of the Aerotech line.

Carl
The Mustang even flies great on D12-3 motors. The E9 is plain just cool :). The biggest Aerotech rocket I have put an E9 in is my Arreaux.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Originally posted by CTulanko

Carl
The Mustang even flies great on D12-3 motors. The E9 is plain just cool :). The biggest Aerotech rocket I have put an E9 in is my Arreaux.

NUBlackshirts

Reaction score
I'm kind of partial to the Executioner. It was the first "larger than D" rocket that I built and flew.

rbeckey

Reaction score
This is a scratch built that I entered in the Fliskits DOM contest.
I recently found this launch picture. It flies extremely well on an E9.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
I think the Executioner os a good E starter, and also the Eliminator.

rbeckey>nice paint job on the scratch built

eugenefl

Reaction score
If you plan on slowly venturing into mid-power with the E9, I place a vote for the Executioner. I think this is one of Estes better attempts at mid-power. My only suggestion would be to scrap the plastic chutes and go with some nylon.

FYI, some others are posting plenty good ideas regarding some nice kits to start with. Personally, my thought is that you invest in a kit that comes with some sturdy components out of the package - ie, plywood fins, plywood rings, kevlar or tubular nylon for shockcord, 1/4" sturdy cardboard or brass lugs, and a nylon chute. Mid-power is a great way to venture into the smaller composites such as the E15W and E30T and should leave you room to grow into F-RMS or F21 single use. If you do decide to stick with Estes, I'm afraid you might get some undesirable results if you later decide to stick an F21 in one of their "stock" built birds. Besides, if this is truly your first mid power kit I don't think you want to be burdened with having to *upgrade* a "low-power" build kit that's supposedly rated for midpower. Estes E-power rockets make for great midpower "skeletons" or frames to beef up the components. But why mess with that? I say go with an Aerotech Mustang. Otherwise, get yourself an Executioner and "beef" it up a bit.

BTW, no worries if you are still speculating on whether you are going to invest in bigger rockets. We're all here chiming in chorus and egging you on to go ahead and take that next step. ;) No pressure now. :D

Stymye

Reaction score
,I'm glad you chose the Eliminator,,
This, being your first E motor ,I think you will get the best thrill for the money. the E-9 has a great long burn
there is no need to start using aftermarket chutes and reload motors.or to start out with an Aerotech rocket,,,,atleast not yet!!

just have fun, burn some E-9's,and report back here
BTW ...got a camera?

bsexton

Reaction score
Even though the rocket was originally designed for "D" engines, I think the Estes Super Big Bertha is a great "E" engine rocket. With a slight modification you can fly it on "E's" when you have a big enough field, and with a simple spacer switch back to "D's" when you are flying on a small field. All you need is an "E" engine hook and you are in business.