Good "Bad" Movies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's so bad about The Andromeda Strain?
Hey now, them is fightin' words! Andromeda Strain is a classic.

Man, I never thought talking about the movie "The Andromeda Strain" would be in the same category as politics, religion or vaccines .:oops: Please let me explain myself before being tarred and feathered. I like the movie, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it a dozen times over the years. But like most movies, after watching it you later say "why did they do THAT"? My issue with this movie is (1) A satellite is sent space to gather whatever. It is secretly funded by the DOD so it should be cutting edge technology and security, however it was opened by someone in a small desert town, apparently using a #2 phillips screwdriver and a Stanley crescent wrench. Hell ,even the door hinges in a public bathroom have tamper proof bolt heads!! (2) In the WildFire station, the nuclear bomb in the base of the station is armed and ready to go. The lasers that protect the central core are armed and ready to go. The key operated emergency bomb shutdown override terminals are arm**--hold everything!! The electrician installing the terminals apparently ran out of wire nuts and had to run into town to Grainger's to get some more. But seriously, I do like the movie and I hope you can forgive my nitpicking.

Nit picking is easy to forgive. If that number and type of nits available to pick were sufficient to make a movie bad, I don't think there'd be a good movie in the world.

Man, I never thought talking about the movie "The Andromeda Strain" would be in the same category as politics, religion or vaccines .:oops: Please let me explain myself before being tarred and feathered. I like the movie, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it a dozen times over the years. But like most movies, after watching it you later say "why did they do THAT"? My issue with this movie is (1) A satellite is sent space to gather whatever. It is secretly funded by the DOD so it should be cutting edge technology and security, however it was opened by someone in a small desert town, apparently using a #2 phillips screwdriver and a Stanley crescent wrench. Hell ,even the door hinges in a public bathroom have tamper proof bolt heads!! (2) In the WildFire station, the nuclear bomb in the base of the station is armed and ready to go. The lasers that protect the central core are armed and ready to go. The key operated emergency bomb shutdown override terminals are arm**--hold everything!! The electrician installing the terminals apparently ran out of wire nuts and had to run into town to Grainger's to get some more. But seriously, I do like the movie and I hope you can forgive my nitpicking.

Okay, okay...
You have good points. (Too bad they are on your ears. 😁 )
Yes it had it's "doh" moments, worst of all a nuclear device in the hands of civilians? Scientists no less!? We all know how dangerous..... Wait a second, I'm a scientist. Uhhh, forget that last bit.

And that was a Snap-On crescent wrench, by the way.
Then there is disinfecting the human body? Cripes... Like you could do that to a human and they survive. The samples and captives are in a sealed environment, why would disinfecting be necessary? Just a plot point, I guess, to allow the grumpy scientist to complain. I'll give it to you, you nailed it on the head, the incomplete terminal was a stretch, but necessary for the plot.
We'll put away the tar and doghair for now.

Don't forget "It, the terror from outer space!"
It is soooo terrible but I love it. Even rented the movie on Prime then bought the DVD.
Lost the old pirated copy when I had to trash my entire VHS collection. It filled our city trash container to overflowing.
Broke my wittle heart....
*sniff*

Idle curiosity, what would you say to a doc Savage TV series? I would hope be set in the 1930s.

Given the number of times they have pushed back the new Top Gun (probably to re-edit), it’s going to likely be a laughable Tom Cruise self love fest. Yeah the zillion dollars the spent on aerial footage will be stunning, though I expect the movie as a whole will be sub par at best.

Given the number of times they have pushed back the new Top Gun (probably to re-edit), it’s going to likely be a laughable Tom Cruise self love fest. Yeah the zillion dollars the spent on aerial footage will be stunning, though I expect the movie as a whole will be sub par at best.
I'm still looking forward to the powered wheelchair chase scene.

The Fifth Element

Ruby Rod is the only character in any movie where if I met that character in real life I would involuntarily punch them in the face.

While I agree, this is one of my favorite movies. I thought it was Rue B Rodd, tho.
Almost forgot to mention a few John Waters movies.. but this is a family show.. :D

Pink Flamingoes
Desperate Living

:D

I guess I shouldn't mention Kentucky fried Movie, then. :)

While I agree, this is one of my favorite movies. I thought it was Rue B Rodd, tho.
I can just imagine myself being introduced to super famous, super popular Ruby Rhod and saying "What, like in lasers?"
I guess I shouldn't mention Kentucky fried Movie, then. :)
I just saw that last night. For the first time. Liked it. It made me want to watch Amazon Women on the Moon again.

I didn't see "Toxic Avenger" previously mentioned.
I remember seeing it almost 40 years ago and it bad, stupid, and a little funny.

I see a lot of deliberately campy, deliberately silly, even deliberately stupid movies being mentioned. To me, those aren't bad movies, since the accomplish their goals. I see this as being about movies that did not mean to be campy but gain campy humor value unintentionally by being so very bad at what they were intended to be. Edward Wood did not mean to make comedies, but damn, are some of his movies funny.

Back