good and bad news

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
Well shortly before Christmas my brother was shipped back to Iraq faster than we had expected. No contact since he left. Then other day we get a phone call that his convoy was struck by an IED. No further information was given to us. MY father and myself where going nuts as was most of my family. Then about ten minutes ago he calls from Iraq telling us that yes the convoy was hit but their where no major injuries and that he is ok going for some further tests to make sure he is ok, and then back to the field. What I don’t like is that he told my father that he was upset that we had even been contacted. I said he signed a waver that unless he was mortally wounded, m.i.a, p.o.w, or dead that the family was not to be called. And now as soon as he is cleared for duty he is going to be off the grid for a while. I love him to death but he is driving me nuts (not that it’s a long drive) I just don’t know what to do. I guess I just needed to vent. Sorry to drive you all nuts.

I've seen a similar thing happen to other families on the news. I thought it was stupid then. Somebody is making the call before they even know who was injured or what the extent of the injuries are. In one of the news stories, a soldier was en route to Ramstein Airbase (Germany) but STILL they couldn't/wouldn't say how serious it was. That kind of a call can only freak families out and is not at all comforting. I don't think the military is helping themselves here. THE WWII style of getting a letter three weeks later that says "Hi mom and dad, I got shot last month but now I'm okay," might be better.

My only possible guess at why they are doing this is in anticipation of the family hearing from someone else via cellphone or internet and they want to be sure that the family hears the facts from the source first. Not sure. It still stinks.

Thank God he's okay and I am glad you are getting better. The stupity of bureacracy never ceases to amaze me.
Cheers
fred

Glad to hear he is ok. I am not so sure that I'd want to find out weeks after the fact that something happened to a loved one. My parents were in a car accident a couple thousand miles from home. The hospital called me and mentioned that my mom had broken her neck at C3 and T6, which is very very bad. Later we found out that it was actually C6 and T3, which is not as bad. In this case I'm glad they told me immediately so I could fly out there to see them. Sure they should have had their facts straight before contacting the loved ones. Then in Iraq you don't have the option of flying out there, but still could call and talk to the person.

My mom's spinal cord is fine and she is recovering very well. Still, it was a scare.

My 2 cents,
Mike

he is in germay untill he is cleared for duty. some burns and a bad ringing in his ear. i suspect he had a concussion as well but resuses to say. god has really been on our side lately

Back