Going to start a rocket club in my uni soon. So made some promotional posters for it to recruit new members. Would love your feedback.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketEnthusiast101

Reaction score
Hi, so I will be starting a rocket club in my uni soon. This is my first time making promotional posters, so you will see some cringeworthy things (who knows, but be ready). Also, you can leave comments for me too improve. Below is the link.

Would love any kind of feedback. Negative or positive. Im in cause its my first time.
And oh yeah, let me know which poster was your favorite (better if you include screenshot of it in imgur link, so I can know which poster are you talking about) and any areas to improve on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ever thought a toilet paper roll could do MACH? join us & find out!"

all are good, IMO. some are better than others.. What are your favorites?! narrow it down to 5 or so, then ask for decisions & opinions..

You might consider going for the 'wow' factor, something that will catch the eye and make the passer-by want to stop and look longer. A few (not too many) photos of rockets lifting off, and at least one photo of a high-power rocket being loaded onto the pad. Gives the viewer some perspective on the size of some rockets. After all, in rocketry, size DOES matter! (at least to some)

FWIW I found out about high-power nearly 30 years ago when I saw an ad that PML (I think) had in Popular Science (I think). Showed two guys working on a "huge" rocket, must have been 4" diameter and close to six feet tall! 😉 As someone who was used to Estes Alpha-size rockets, this blew my mind!

Some random suggestions for text: "Elon Musk did it. Now you can too!" "Up to 150,000 feet and 1500 mph!" "Your own space program...with real rockets!"

Best -- Terry

"We design our own spy planes. And unleash the fear among our enemies"

Fear? Really? Who's the enemy? Who you racing against? The Universities I know welcome people from all countries so "spying" and "enemies" seem out of place. Basically, I'd lose the political stuff, hints of Saturn V dissing, Uncle Sam, the gay joke, and also I don't get this one: "CAUSE FLEXING WITH A ROARING ENGINE IS BETTER THAN SUPREME."

Some of the visuals are interesting but none of the taglines really get to me.

"We design our own spy planes. And unleash the fear among our enemies"

Fear? Really? Who's the enemy? Who you racing against? The Universities I know welcome people from all countries so "spying" and "enemies" seem out of place. Basically, I'd lose the political stuff, hints of Saturn V dissing, Uncle Sam, the gay joke, and also I don't get this one: "CAUSE FLEXING WITH A ROARING ENGINE IS BETTER THAN SUPREME."

Some of the visuals are interesting but none of the taglines really get to me.
yeah, I completely get you, I just wanted to test waters with this kind of wording. Btw, which poster you like the most?

You might consider going for the 'wow' factor, something that will catch the eye and make the passer-by want to stop and look longer. A few (not too many) photos of rockets lifting off, and at least one photo of a high-power rocket being loaded onto the pad. Gives the viewer some perspective on the size of some rockets. After all, in rocketry, size DOES matter! (at least to some)

FWIW I found out about high-power nearly 30 years ago when I saw an ad that PML (I think) had in Popular Science (I think). Showed two guys working on a "huge" rocket, must have been 4" diameter and close to six feet tall! 😉 As someone who was used to Estes Alpha-size rockets, this blew my mind!

Some random suggestions for text: "Elon Musk did it. Now you can too!" "Up to 150,000 feet and 1500 mph!" "Your own space program...with real rockets!"

Best -- Terry
appereciate your suggestions. But just one last thing, which poster was your fav?

"Ever thought a toilet paper roll could do MACH? join us & find out!"

all are good, IMO. some are better than others.. What are your favorites?! narrow it down to 5 or so, then ask for decisions & opinions..
lol, my fav is 3. What about you?

"Rockets can make you gay too"?????? I'm going to say that's not true and I don't understand why you would make a poster with that.

The punctuation on a lot of these is wrong or missing, and many have grammatical issues.
yeah I know, was short on time so uploaded them. Eitherways, which poster was your fav?

Hey Rockets, I feel this is a bit of a learning lesson for you.

When I approach my design team for a design review, I don't show up with 25 different solutions to the problem. I'll narrow it down to a handful, having weeded out the ones i know won't work, won't fly, won't be well received (and are too expensive, too complicated, requires too many different parts, etc..) I'll present 5 or 6; ones I know & feel confident about that'll solve the issue at hand. And, if they don't really like any of the ones I have presented, I can always say "Well, i did have some others that I didn't like, such as this one and this one.." And we might start to develop a new idea based on the few that i did present..

Showing up with 25 will just overwhelm them, and show I don't really have any confidence in my abilities. It also comes across as me being lazy & hoping (expecting?!) them to make the decision / choice for me.. I felt overwhelmed by the choices you offer.. hence why I challenge you: which 5 or 6 do you like? Why?

Have you discussed the possible posters with the others you hope to form the club with? Which ones do they like? Again, I will be a part of a 'brainstorming team' to develop a solution (or at least a path to the solution) to solve a problem. We'll all toss out out ideas; some very practical, most kinda practical, and some really outlandish ideas. Some ideas spawn new ideas in others around the table. (It is really a fun process!) Then, a smaller, more senior team will weed out the few we want to pursue; bring to the prototype stage.. Again, we've narrowed down the list to just a few, from possibly hundreds. On then does the greater company population know our intended direction.

With the posters you've presented, you have 5 or 6 themes / looks / feel to the them. That should be one element you want judged. You then want to talk about the text, the blurb, the slogan / catchphrase. Seems to me, you have a few elements you want opinions on, narrow that down a bit too, as to no overwhelm them.

You want to start a club, but does the intended club have any goals? (NASA student initiative? LPR in the football field? Attend FAR 101 launches? be a Tim / Wildman groupie?) Do you need to be a 2nd year Eng. student? Some of these points / intentions you might want to put on the poster as well, to ensure you don't scare off any potential club mates (I like where you're going with the 'gay' part, but that should be irrelevant)

My comments:

1) None of these give even the slightest hint of what one does in a rocket club. Most of the folks reading these posters will neither have ever have flown a rocket, nor have any idea what high-powered rocketry is about. I understand that in an eye-catching poster you don't want to overdo it with text, but just a *little* indication of what it involves would seem to be helpful. One of them says "We are going to the moon. Want to join?" Heh?

2) The images on most of the posters are fine; any of them could be polished into a decent finished product. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of an actual rocket that is representative of what you might be building (see #1 above).

3) The text is mostly slapdash at best, with poor grammar, punctuation, and layout. The slogans are strange and often don't make much sense, e.g.: "Let's start busting some horsepower", or "Cause flexing with a roaring engine is better than supreme". As mentioned by others above, some are weirdly aggressive, like the inexplicable "makes you gay" or "unleash the fear among our enemies." None of it would make a very good impression on me if I saw it on a bulletin board. Oh, and these all seem extremely male-oriented to me; I don't see many of these drawing a diverse crowd.

Try to focus more on conveying useful information than on aggressive slogans. Polish the presentation and get a proofreader if you have to.

Don't ask me to pick a favorite because right now I can't see past all the bizarre text.

Well, you are definitely all over the place. Here’s what I would do. The very first one shows the rocket traveling up towards the dashed semi circle. To me it looks like a speedometer. So in the upper right I’d say:
The race for space is on.
Then in the lower left:
Join the race.
XYZ
ROCKET
CLUB

Design
Build
Launch
Rockets

For more information
Hit the like button

Then you would have represented a rocket, speed and simple to the point text.

Hope this helps.

We don't have a club on our campus, but I do include rocketry in my early classroom lectures & projects. It helps explain a lot of basic concept of aviation technology. They get hooked on it! Rockets are going up all over campus during the semesters!

Granted I haven't been in college for 20 years, so maybe I don't know what appeals to current students. That said, I found these posters confusing and don't get what the purpose of this club is. Is it to build and launch rockets? Or watch sci-fi shows about rockets? Or investigate UFO sightings? Or use spy planes? Or teach people about CFD software? Or "make you gay"? These posters are all over the place. None of them really appealed to me or would make me want to "hit that like button."

Pretty sure that page 17 is an F-104 Star-Fighter which is way cool! But its hard to tell with such a dark picture.

Now I have to ask....

What are your goals?
Will you have a faculty advisor? On 99% of the campuses that I know of, this will smooth out a lot of trouble with Admin.
Funding for equipment? Pads, Launch System, rocket kits, motors, reloads, parts for scratch building?
Curriculum Plans/fit/pace/schedule for progression of individuals over a multi-year discipline? I've talked with a lot of univ profs and they are looking for how this fits in with the curriculum LONG term nor merely short term.....

Team projects are great, but individuals in the team need to be up to speed at least as far as they've gotten, with the whole program. What a freshman does in a four year program will be very different than what a senior does. Do you have plans for moving individual students along a continuum of accomplishment IRL to match their growing knowledge? Bringing students Knowledge and Experience: the hallmarks of a great program.

And how about a multi-discipline approach?

Engineering: mechanical? electrical? chemical (propellants)
Physics?
Physics Engineering?
Aerospace?
Mathematics?
Electronics?
Computer programming?

And I only spent about 30 seconds coming up with this very short list.

I guess that I'm asking what's your club for? Unless you know what its for then it will be hard to determine who your target audience will be. And knowing your target audience will help immensely in knowing how to reach them......

Brad

So you're going to promote a "club" but never answer who you are, where you're from or what university? Not just in this post but many. Also you said at one point propellant based rockets were banned in "Malaysia" and you were sticking to water rockets. What changed? We would love to help you promote it.

Last edited:
I think all his hopes and dreams of having a rocket club were just thrown out the window. Lol. A simple “all your posters sucked, go back to the drawing board. And leave out the gay part”, would have been more than enough, a little forward maybe but straight the point.

I flipped through the pictures here; I'm not bothering with Imgur. (If they can't spell "imager" then why should I take them seriously? 🤨)

What I see is a lot of overpromising. You don't want prospective members asking "What about those space shuttle models?" or "How come we're not shooting rockets into space?"

If you're making posters for a club that's about a hobby (this one or any other hobby) then you've gor to show what that hobby is. Try using scans of Sport Rocketry covers; be sure to get permission first.

Also, in addition to fixing up the language for slogans, you need contact information and a place and time for a first meeting.

Last edited:
Back