Going for L2, what am I forgetting?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
Paint is drying.
Eggfinder battery is charging and I have a spare one coming from Amazon.
Eggfinder RX batteries will be refreshed.

Using a Jolly Logic Chute Release and motor eject (so no altimeter/charge/drogue stuff to worry about).

Chute and other recovery gear will be packed onsite.

Once the paint is dry, I'll punch the final weight and CG numbers into OpenRocket to get some accurate sims.

Onsite vendor is aware of what I'm planning and will have a motor for me.

Club president has been notified and is aware that I'm going to attempt this.

I've been through the practice questions on the NAR site and got a perfect score.

What am I forgetting?

I'd say your well prepared! Prep your rocket and turn on you CR and flyit!
Maybe a quick checklist day of, including video prep, cause you know we want to see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

You forgot add relax, this is a hobby and I'm having fun!

This! If you want to be really high speed you can print a couple applications and fill them out before the launch. Also don't forget your NAR card. Good luck, you got this!

This! If you want to be really high speed you can print a couple applications and fill them out before the launch. Also don't forget your NAR card. Good luck, you got this!

Thanks!!
That's the one hiccup that SHOULD be OK - I have a NAR membership that's verifiable online, but they never sent me a new card (I renewed in April) and I know a new one won't get here in time.
Worst case (and I really hope it doesn't come to this) I take the test and then fly next month.
But since we have cell signal at the launch and I can literally show them my phone with the info, I think I'm OK (and I have a card that says valid through April....)

You've done sims and know what motors are appropriate for your launch site?

Yep. Presuming we're going to launch where I think we're going to launch, if wind is under 10 mph, I should come down well within 1000'. If winds are over 10 mph, I'll adjust the rod as necessary (the "level" function on my iPhone is helpful for that)

Ah, I know.... Have you gone back and re-read your first post to see how far you've come?

Hello!

I feel like I should pull up a chair and a styrofoam cup of coffee... "Hi...I'm a grownup who builds rockets...."

I remembered enjoying this as a kid (I'm in my 40s, so I got to do some of the great Estes classics - the R2-D2, Blue Bird Zero, and the Scud-B) ... and now my kids are 4 and I'm trying to get them into it. It's a fine line - there's stuff that they CANNOT help with (no, you just have to sit and watch as Daddy curses internally as he gets epoxy on that beautifully-prepped fin) ... but there are some things they can and love to (mostly launching. But even some build stuff - they helped with the waterslide decals tonight and really enjoyed it).

Mostly lurking now, but I'm finding some wonderful advice here already and wanted to say thanks for that. With a few builds under my belt, I'm setting my sights on the Solar Warrior next... my first Skill 2 rocket! Ahem. Ours. I'm doing this with the kids and this is totally not me gleefully putting together rockets.

(that said, watching the boys point up and shriek and yell WOWWWWWW is a really, really, really good feeling)

Sounds like you’re prepared. If you’re the kind of person that gets distracted easily, make yourself a little checklist and put things on it like
– Turn on JLCR and
– Turn on Eggfinder.
Certifying can attract a crowd and it makes it easier to miss a step.

Good luck!

Sounds like you’re prepared. If you’re the kind of person that gets distracted easily, make yourself a little checklist and put things on it like
– Turn on JLCR and
– Turn on Eggfinder.

Good luck!

Thanks!! And this time, I SWEAR I won't screw up turning on the camera ;)
Last time I took pictures with the 808 instead of turning on the video. I have a great shot of my boots next to the pad.

You didn't mention the certification form. It's your responsibility to bring. Ideally fill out all the parts that are yours before you get there. Also, I would suggest bringing a copy of your receipt for when you renewed. Your current card must have been lost in the mail. Notify HQ.

Steve Shannon

Thanks!!
That's the one hiccup that SHOULD be OK - I have a NAR membership that's verifiable online, but they never sent me a new card (I renewed in April) and I know a new one won't get here in time.
Worst case (and I really hope it doesn't come to this) I take the test and then fly next month.
But since we have cell signal at the launch and I can literally show them my phone with the info, I think I'm OK (and I have a card that says valid through April....)

Finding the membership list on a mobile device can be a real pain, bookmark it on your phone before you go to the launch. It took me almost 20 mins to find a working link at LDRS this spring.

What everyone else said! Also, after paint is dry, mark CP on the rocket. This speeds the trip through RSO. Definitely make a checklist and bring the form. If you haven't flown with the JLCR, bring a rocket to fly that on the first time so you don't blow the cert flight on a user error.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, don't forget to mark on your rocket where the CP is and the measured CG once you insert the motor. Don't rely on calculated CG. Bringing a print of the sims also helps.

– Turn on JLCR and
– Turn on Eggfinder.

Good luck!

- Check AGAIN that you REALLY turned on the electronics...

Not that I've ever done that.... maybe..... so far as you know.... :)

Also, don't forget to mark on your rocket where the CP is and the measured CG once you insert the motor. Don't rely on calculated CG. Bringing a print of the sims also helps.

I don't like to mark CG on the rocket since it changes with every motor. It's also easy to find by balancing on your hand (at least until your big L3 project!). CP stays the same unless you've gone and monkeyed with fins or an extra length of body tube.

Good luck with the flight. Try to stay relaxed :)

A checklist will help you stay calm and in control. If you do run one make sure there is an item "Check all items previously on list are checked".

Don't forget any safety equipment you might need.

I would pass a camera to a designated photographer. One less thing for you to remember.

Make sure you have changed the Eggfinder to something other than the default frequency/ID number it is supplied with, to minimise the chance of a clash on the range. Do this, and test it, before leaving home!

Good luck! Wish I could be there this weekend.

- Check AGAIN that you REALLY turned on the electronics...

Not that I've ever done that.... maybe..... so far as you know.... :)

And DEFINITELY make sure you check your tracker before launch to ensure that you're still getting coordinates.... not that I've ever done anything like that.....

I'm going to add another +1 on the checklist. A checklist is your best friend when you're stressed about a launch. :)

Ground test deployment charges[emoji3]

I don't like to mark CG on the rocket since it changes with every motor. It's also easy to find by balancing on your hand (at least until your big L3 project!). CP stays the same unless you've gone and monkeyed with fins or an extra length of body tube.

I marked the minimum CG location. For smallish rockets it is simple enough to demonstrate that the actual CG is at or ahead of the marked minimum CG.

What everyone else said! Also, after paint is dry, mark CP on the rocket. This speeds the trip through RSO. Definitely make a checklist and bring the form. If you haven't flown with the JLCR, bring a rocket to fly that on the first time so you don't blow the cert flight on a user error.

Good luck!

Good call, thanks I will! (note to self, pick up some stickers for that).

This shouldn't be an issue. Stability is 4 to 5 cal loaded.

Back