GOEX Closing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I finally heard back and they stated they should be restocked with Swiss 4F in a couple of weeks.

I would ball-mill and make my own but the only place I have to do that in is the basement of my house and that's a bit of a non-starter for me. So I will pay the redonkulous $$ for shipping.

Ok I finally heard back and they stated they should be restocked with Swiss 4F in a couple of weeks.

I would ball-mill and make my own but the only place I have to do that in is the basement of my house and that's a bit of a non-starter for me. So I will pay the redonkulous $$ for shipping.
Go in together with your friends and split the hazmat and shipping over several pounds. Even if you buy five for yourself and then sell them at a launch.

I think that they were optimized for tightly-contained use, in a firearm. If they were optimized to burn most efficiently under low compression, they would be more suitable for Rocketry usage. From what I remember, the Oxidizer / Fuel ratio controls the rate of combustion, right ?

Dave F.
Yes, that is correct. With a given set of fuels and oxidizers the ratio controls the rate of combustion. Remember that Pyrodex and Triple 7 were designed to fire a projectile either from a cartridge case or from a confined breech. In the world of rockets we are looking for pressure and gas generation.

Is anyone seeing it in stock anywhere? I have a few pounds. I am asking for a friend.
At this point, between hunters buying and rocketeers hoarding, the usual cycle is that it often comes back in stock in quantity around Thanksgiving.

Powderinc has SCHUETZEN FA series powders. Note that prices include shipping. 5FA is close to 4Fg.

At this point, between hunters buying and rocketeers hoarding, the usual cycle is that it often comes back in stock in quantity around Thanksgiving.
That being when the plant was open. Where are they going to stock it from now?

Good point. Hopefully you are right. I think 2 cans will hold me to Thanksgiving.

That being when the plant was open. Where are they going to stock it from now?

Not everyone uses Goex. In fact, none of the hunters that I know really even cares what brand of BP they use, as long as it's real BP and of the proper sze.

BP subs, though, those are all so different that everyone has a particular favorite.

Not everyone uses Goex. In fact, none of the hunters that I know really even cares what brand of BP they use, as long as it's real BP and of the proper sze.

BP subs, though, those are all so different that everyone has a particular favorite.
So everyone is going to buy the Swiss stuff now? I still think there is going to be a huge shortage based on the only manufacturer in the USA shutting down.

So everyone is going to buy the Swiss stuff now? I still think there is going to be a huge shortage based on the only manufacturer in the USA shutting down.
Everyone always has, mostly, just bought whatever was available without regard to brand.

Likely, long term and supposing that the other offshore manufacturers do not increase their production to meet demand, then YES, there will be a shortage.

But pointing to current stocking levels, in the midst of the SINGLE season where domestic demand for BP peaks AND a global logistics melt down as an indicator of future availability, I think, is a false conclusion.

Everyone always has, mostly, just bought whatever was available without regard to brand.

Likely, long term and supposing that the other offshore manufacturers do not increase their production to meet demand, then YES, there will be a shortage.

But pointing to current stocking levels, in the midst of the SINGLE season where domestic demand for BP peaks AND a global logistics melt down as an indicator of future availability, I think, is a false conclusion.
Fair enough. I can't predict the future.

An afternoon of flint lock pistol shooting uses more BP than 5 years of rocket ejection charges, including quite a few 5.5" and 7.5" rockets. Rockets are a very small part of BP usage. Danny Dempsey's cannon uses 1/4 lb. per shot.

Smokeless powder has been near impossible to find in the last 18 months and if you find it, the price is at a minimum doubled. I am guessing BP, although will be available, it can be had if you're willing to pay.

An afternoon of flint lock pistol shooting uses more BP than 5 years of rocket ejection charges, including quite a few 5.5" and 7.5" rockets. Rockets are a very small part of BP usage. Danny Dempsey's cannon uses 1/4 lb. per shot.

Yup. That is a big bang!

Thanks for the heads-up, Banzai88. There seems to be a 2-pound limit, but the price ($29.99), HAZMAT charge ($12.99), and shipping ($12.90) seem reasonably reasonable, considering the current alternatives.

Leave it to Midway to not take advantage of the shortage with price gouging. When 5.56mm ammo was critically scarce over the past year, and some supposedly "dirt cheap" outlets were charging ridiculous, $1.00+-per-round prices for what stock they had, Midway did not. They're a good bunch to do business with, IMHO.

Back