GOEX Closing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to rush out and buy a lifetime's worth!

It was already relatively difficult to source.....won't be long until it's nearly impossible. Well, at least for normal folks with reasonable budgets.

I gotta believe that the vacuum in the market will be filled by someone, but when and at what cost is the big question.

Que the 'I'm experimenting with black powder substitutes for ejection' threads in 3....2....1......

I've been using Hodgdon Triple Seven FFF for nearly 10 years. It works great, as long as you contain it tightly... plus it doesn't leave a stinky corrosive residue.

It was already relatively difficult to source.....won't be long until it's nearly impossible. Well, at least for normal folks with reasonable budgets.

I gotta believe that the vacuum in the market will be filled by someone, but when and at what cost is the big question.

Que the 'I'm experimenting with black powder substitutes for ejection' threads in 3....2....1......
I've been getting mine from a gun shop in Halethorpe, MD. Long drive for you, perhaps. :)

I'm sure Swiss will pick up the "slack"... I've been away from BP shooting for a while now (both muzzleloading & cartridge), but from reading the current literature, it looks like Swiss was becoming the preferred brand, anyhow.
Don't Panic!

Oh, no panic.....just used the last of my current stash of 4F the other day and it was time to get some headed my way anyway.

What is the stuff used for ejection that comes in a typical Aerotech RMS (i.e. 4F or other)? Where does Estes source the material that goes in typical A-E motors?

Just curious. . . I would have assumed domestic sources, but don't know.

Sandy.

Start hoarding now.

Anyone ever make meal BP for use (do not post how)? Any reason why it will not work or is it too fine?

Start hoarding now.

Anyone ever make meal BP for use (do not post how)? Any reason why it will not work or is it too fine?

Meal itself would be too fine. Commercial BP is taken from the mill pressed to a specific density and then broken up again and sorted into the various mesh sizes.

You can dampen the meal with water, run it through some screens to get the size you want and then dry it out. It's a simple process, but you need to test and verify the strength of each batch of powder unless your process and raw materials are remarkably consistent, especially when using a small amount for something like an ejection charge.

There are alternative gas-generated formulas to use for ejection charges. Pre-manufactured 4F BP is convenient and well tested, but requires containment at high altitude. Smokeless powder can be coerced to work with containment at all altitudes. Beyond that, you have to be comfortable mixing and processing the chemicals.

I've been using Hodgdon Triple Seven FFF for nearly 10 years. It works great, as long as you contain it tightly... plus it doesn't leave a stinky corrosive residue.
May have to go that route. Do you have a conversion table of Triple Seven FFFg to BP FFFFg? Hate to reinvent the wheel...

Back