GOEX Closing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time to rush out and buy a lifetime's worth!
It was already relatively difficult to source.....won't be long until it's nearly impossible. Well, at least for normal folks with reasonable budgets.

I gotta believe that the vacuum in the market will be filled by someone, but when and at what cost is the big question.

Que the 'I'm experimenting with black powder substitutes for ejection' threads in 3....2....1......

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Hodgdon Triple Seven FFF for nearly 10 years. It works great, as long as you contain it tightly... plus it doesn't leave a stinky corrosive residue.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
According to The Internet, Graf is now made by Goex. I'm guessing we're OOL with them too... the Graf web site shows all BP as "out of stock".

Banzai88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
According to The Internet, Graf is now made by Goex. I'm guessing we're OOL with them too... the Graf web site shows all BP as "out of stock".
Swiss 4F is still in stock. Just pinged some of my rocket folks and ordered a 4 pack.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
It was already relatively difficult to source.....won't be long until it's nearly impossible. Well, at least for normal folks with reasonable budgets.

I gotta believe that the vacuum in the market will be filled by someone, but when and at what cost is the big question.

Que the 'I'm experimenting with black powder substitutes for ejection' threads in 3....2....1......
I've been getting mine from a gun shop in Halethorpe, MD. Long drive for you, perhaps. :)

Tech 68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Swiss 4F is still in stock. Just pinged some of my rocket folks and ordered a 4 pack.

I'm sure Swiss will pick up the "slack"... I've been away from BP shooting for a while now (both muzzleloading & cartridge), but from reading the current literature, it looks like Swiss was becoming the preferred brand, anyhow.
Don't Panic!

Banzai88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure Swiss will pick up the "slack"... I've been away from BP shooting for a while now (both muzzleloading & cartridge), but from reading the current literature, it looks like Swiss was becoming the preferred brand, anyhow.
Don't Panic!
Oh, no panic.....just used the last of my current stash of 4F the other day and it was time to get some headed my way anyway.

Sandy H.

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What is the stuff used for ejection that comes in a typical Aerotech RMS (i.e. 4F or other)? Where does Estes source the material that goes in typical A-E motors?

Just curious. . . I would have assumed domestic sources, but don't know.

Sandy.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Start hoarding now.

Anyone ever make meal BP for use (do not post how)? Any reason why it will not work or is it too fine?

NateB

Reaction score
Start hoarding now.

Anyone ever make meal BP for use (do not post how)? Any reason why it will not work or is it too fine?
Meal itself would be too fine. Commercial BP is taken from the mill pressed to a specific density and then broken up again and sorted into the various mesh sizes.

You can dampen the meal with water, run it through some screens to get the size you want and then dry it out. It's a simple process, but you need to test and verify the strength of each batch of powder unless your process and raw materials are remarkably consistent, especially when using a small amount for something like an ejection charge.

jsdemar

Reaction score
There are alternative gas-generated formulas to use for ejection charges. Pre-manufactured 4F BP is convenient and well tested, but requires containment at high altitude. Smokeless powder can be coerced to work with containment at all altitudes. Beyond that, you have to be comfortable mixing and processing the chemicals.

Banzai88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a black powder shortage might move us out of the stone age when it comes to recovery.
Assuming that a shortage actually materializes, do you have a suggestion on what a 'modern' rocket recovery solution would be?

Mike Haberer

DaHabes
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Hodgdon Triple Seven FFF for nearly 10 years. It works great, as long as you contain it tightly... plus it doesn't leave a stinky corrosive residue.
May have to go that route. Do you have a conversion table of Triple Seven FFFg to BP FFFFg? Hate to reinvent the wheel...

Mike Haberer

DaHabes
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Mrs. would NOT like the idea of me mixing black powder. She doesn't even know I have a stash of Graf in the garage in an ammo box...

Latest posts