Gobliner.....R/C Goblin Rocket glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I felt that since I had done an homage to the Der Red Max as an R/C rocket glider, I owed it to the Goblin fans to do something similar, so here is the Gobliner....27" long, 2.6" diameter, 24" wingspan, body tube and 6mm carbon reinforced depron wings/tail surfaces completely covered in 3m 220 automotive vinyl except for the nose cone which is painted. I left the bottom of the stab/wing white for contrast in flying and save about 3/8 ounce, and put a black stripe on the bottom of the tube also to help with orientation. Waiting on goblin decals from Stickershock. 7.12 oz dry airframe or 11.25 oz rtf with radio and E-6 motor...I chose vinyl as an experiment, it added about .6 ounces over paint, but it is cold in my garage and I couldn't find a foam safe paint in that color near by in stock...Gobliner name courtesy of Walter Portnell who coined it for me....

270125601_1000962100540433_4840850821670472872_n.jpg

Last edited:
I felt that since I had done an homage to the Der Red Max as an R/C rocket glider, I owed it to the Goblin fans to do something similar, so here is the Gobliner....27" long, 2.6" diameter, 24" wingspan, body tube and 6mm carbon reinforced depron wings/tail surfaces completely covered in 3m 220 automotive vinyl except for the nose cone which is painted. I left the bottom of the stab/wing white for contrast in flying and save about 3/8 ounce, and put a black stripe on the bottom of the tube also to help with orientation. Waiting on goblin decals from Stickershock. 7.12 oz empty as shown, probably closer to 11.5 rtf with radio and E-6 motor...I chose vinyl as an experiment, it added about .6 ounces over paint, but it is cold in my garage and I couldn't find a foam safe paint in that color near by in stock...Gobliner name courtesy of Walter Portnell who coined it for me....

View attachment 497620
You know that the 50th anniversary of the Estes Goblin is coming up in 2022 I believe.

I did not know that, I used to be purely team DRM but I always liked the Goblin even though I never built one....I do know I've seen several upscale DRM's shred on fast motors but have never seen a Goblin shred....

You know that the 50th anniversary of the Estes Goblin is coming up in 2022 I believe.

I did not know that, I used to be purely team DRM but I always liked the Goblin even though I never built one....I do know I've seen several upscale DRM's shred on fast motors but have never seen a Goblin shred....
Also 2021 is the 50th anniversary of the Estes Der Red Max.

I felt that since I had done an homage to the Der Red Max as an R/C rocket glider, I owed it to the Goblin fans to do something similar, so here is the Gobliner....27" long, 2.6" diameter, 24" wingspan, body tube and 6mm carbon reinforced depron wings/tail surfaces completely covered in 3m 220 automotive vinyl except for the nose cone which is painted. I left the bottom of the stab/wing white for contrast in flying and save about 3/8 ounce, and put a black stripe on the bottom of the tube also to help with orientation. Waiting on goblin decals from Stickershock. 7.12 oz dry airframe or 11.25 oz rtf with radio and E-6 motor...I chose vinyl as an experiment, it added about .6 ounces over paint, but it is cold in my garage and I couldn't find a foam safe paint in that color near by in stock...Gobliner name courtesy of Walter Portnell who coined it for me....

View attachment 497620
Me want one.

And a Der Red Max version, as well.

/sigh
So many rockets, so little time.

Hmmm, yes, so many rockets so little time. That's pretty cool Frank! My wife got a 4-inch LOC Goblin for Christmas (she started talking about getting level one at the NSL.) I just showed her the photo of the glider above and she told me she ordered a regular Goblin earlier this week. So I'm thinking I'd like to build one of these as well to match. Do you feel comfortable sharing some drawings and/or tech data (length, span, CG, dimensions of the fins/wings, etc.), Frank? Or maybe we can talk you into a kit run?

What are you all using for foam these days? Depron is getting pretty scarce - rcdepron has only 3mm in two sizes (for the US) listed and it's pretty pricey. A question that probably warrants its own thread.

I will only use depron, plans won't help if you don't have the 6mm depron foam, this one took a bit more finesse to put together so probably won't kit it. Get enough people together that are interested I may change my mind:)
I got kind of burned out investing time in making templates/instructions/prototypes of things people said they just had to have and then not ordering any...this may be my last year making kits.

Hmmm, yes, so many rockets so little time. That's pretty cool Frank! My wife got a 4-inch LOC Goblin for Christmas (she started talking about getting level one at the NSL.) I just showed her the photo of the glider above and she told me she ordered a regular Goblin earlier this week. So I'm thinking I'd like to build one of these as well to match. Do you feel comfortable sharing some drawings and/or tech data (length, span, CG, dimensions of the fins/wings, etc.), Frank? Or maybe we can talk you into a kit run?

What are you all using for foam these days? Depron is getting pretty scarce - rcdepron has only 3mm in two sizes (for the US) listed and it's pretty pricey. A question that probably warrants its own thread.

Maiden flights today were perfect, lasti flights of 2021, my cg was spot on as were the trims, no adjustments, got about 1:15 glides after burnout which is pretty good for the 1 sq foot wing area and weight. No video yet, just selfies, kids were working... will get video after I get the stickershock goblin markings and apply them.

269978318_1001545953815381_2779930774066468900_n.jpg270230342_1001546043815372_8796082280035829005_n.jpg

I will only use depron, plans won't help if you don't have the 6mm depron foam, this one took a bit more finesse to put together so probably won't kit it. Get enough people together that are interested I may change my mind:)
I got kind of burned out investing time in making templates/instructions/prototypes of things people said they just had to have and then not ordering any...this may be my last year making kits.

Sorry to hear that you're burned out, Frank. It's true that I'm high and dry for foam at the moment. I'm also pretty new at foam aircraft so I'm willing to commit to get some practice.

I wish you would make smaller size rocket kits of the big missile rockets you have.

Those are too complicated to kit and don't scale down well using the same materials/construction, Boyce does do offer parts to do a titan/dynasoar or titan II dynasoar and atlas in smaller sizes. Other wise you are going to scratch build.

Like the dyna-soar titan in your picture and your large mercury atlas, etc.. I wish you made/sold kits like that, but in a smaller size.

I know about the Boyce builder kits and have several in my build pile. Hopefully Estes comes out with the gemini Titan and Mercury Atlas again.

Last edited:
R/C Goblin themed Rocket glider, styled after the Estes Goblin rocket, but with upsized added wings, elevon tail surfaces for control, 24" wingspan, 36" length, 2.6" diameter, 6mm depron wings/tail covered in 3m automotive 200 series vinyl covering. 11.25 oz rtf using 24mm Aerotech composite E-6 rocket motor. Maiden and flights 2 and 3 on the model. No trims or CG changes needed.

I'll sometimes do axial or four-point rolls barrel rolls are a little more draggy loops not so much because I don't want to over stress the wings when the model is going really fast but mostly in my videos I'm trying to show the possible flight performance so I don't do much that's going to minimize altitude our glide time
do you ever do a loop or a barrel roll, just to spice up the beauty of these long smooth flights?

You would think so:) my mind doesn't seem to want to let me rest for very long, I'm sure I'm done with ideas and then something sneaks in, sort of like my leaky roof:) I'm working on a canard-ish Blue Bird Zero styled one right now.

you‘ve done so many I am thinking the hardest thing is coming up with new ideas!

The starjet at the bottom might be cool, but looks like many you have already done.

Attachments

• BF3C064C-F603-443E-91A8-E3D742313BF2.jpeg
    BF3C064C-F603-443E-91A8-E3D742313BF2.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 5
Back