Goblin discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

old man, lovin' life
Reaction score
i'm building a basic ol' Estes Goblin and wanted to check the paint and decal scheme, so i went to the Estes website and... no Goblin?!? say it ain't so...

on a related note, are all four fins yellow? thinkin' i'd like to make one black with a big yellow three on it.

One fin is black...
yup, thx. surprised it's skill level 2. most basic, easy 4 fin rocket ever. double checked the Estes website and no listing or link to a Goblin. maybe they plan to discontinue all the rockets in the new poster; V2, Red Max, Big Bertha, and the Goblin? nah... that's just crazy talk

You can't bring back an epic classic model, if you don't discontinue it. It's Estes best rocket. But if it doesn't sell...........

I just ordered 4. Lol. Tesxtbook consumerism, fear of missing out.

I contacted Estes through their web site and they emailed me the instruction PDF. Attached here.

Ordered one from ACS last night with a bunch of motors and some other Estes odds and ends.

I think it's my favorite short/fat kit design. I like it better than Big Daddy or DRM. For some reason, I like the fins on the 7237 re-release better than I like the originals.

Attachments

• Estes 007237_GOBLIN.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 2
Anytime someone wants instructions/plans for an Estes kit, first try JimZ's site:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes.htm
Tends not to have new kit plans, but does have a lot of the old ones.

Including the original Goblin:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-55.pdf
tQICstV.jpg

Interesting that the instructions shows the "3" oriented 90 degrees to the body, like with a plane. If I built one, I'd have the "3" so it would be readable with the rocket vertical. Actually, I did have a Goblin, around 1971, flew it a lot. Probably had the "3" oriented to be vertical with the rocket on the pad.
SnNGXfm.jpg

Discontinued?? I may have to order one now. Not my favorite rocket (I like Big Daddy), but I'll buy one just to have.
Any 24mm and up is good for me. No problem there.

Even if Estes stops making it, there's the Semroc version, the Newway version, and LOC makes it in 3 different diameters, 4", 5.5", and 7.5" -- holy cow, it's about the most copied rocket in the catalog.

The Goblin has come and gone before so it’s most likely coming back again someday.

Much speculation that the hinted at future “super” sized kit that’s coming from Estes in the near future could be a big Goblin. IIRC from John Boren’s interview on The Model Rocket Show whatever the new upsized kit is, it’s going to have a properly upscaled nose cone - if it’s the Goblin that means opportunities to upsize a number of nifty kits that use the 55AO cone: Blue Bird Zero, BOMARC, Photon Probe/Disruptor, Bandit…

The Goblin has come and gone before so it’s most likely coming back again someday.

Much speculation that the hinted at future “super” sized kit that’s coming from Estes in the near future could be a big Goblin. IIRC from John Boren’s interview on The Model Rocket Show whatever the new upsized kit is, it’s going to have a properly upscaled nose cone - if it’s the Goblin that means opportunities to upsize a number of nifty kits that use the 55AO cone: Blue Bird Zero, BOMARC, Photon Probe/Disruptor, Bandit…

Thought I heard rumblings of an upscale as well. 🤞

I ordered 3 BTH70-AO upscale nosecones when Semroc was going out of business. Goblin is built and painted but not flown yet. (BBZ and Bandit both 75% built). Since it is discontinued I may have to buy an original size to go with my upscale (even though I am downsizing my collection of kits/parts)

I've never been interested in the style of the Goblin but I like to kit bash things so I could certainly kit bash one. And it seems to be the only BT55 kit with that nose cone style, if you try to buy nose cones by themselves they are a different style.

Well the Estes 7237 Goblin model rocket kit is not listed on the Estes website anymore, so it might be discontinued.

And here I am, gathering parts to build a 4.7:1 upscale version. Got the body tube (6.25" o.d. Kraft mailing tube) stickers by Mark at Sticker Shock, and waiting for the albizia log (7" o.d. x 29" long) to dry before I can shape it on my lathe. The tree was cut down two weeks ago, so I have some time to figure out what I'll make the fins out of. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Back