Goblin discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't worry about discontinued models. Unless it has complex parts that are hard to deal with (Little Joe II), I just scratch build from the plans.
As of late, I get more pleasure out of building from scratch, too. However, I do buy the cheaper kits just to have a reference. Some exceptions to that - Deisgned a Crossfire and then realized it was close to a WAC Corporal then up-scaled the WAC to 24mm then to the next size. Rabbit holes are everywhere. But fun.

Nose cones can be a PITA. Balsa doesn't always cut it if you want to stuff the nose full of electronics or use it as a chute bay.
Print the nose cone. We had a night flight and I needed to put lights on a small 24mm rocket. Printed the nose cone and stuffed in five LEDs and a battery.

Attachments

• lighted Pringle smaller.png
    lighted Pringle smaller.png
    383.1 KB · Views: 0
As of late, I get more pleasure out of building from scratch, too. However, I do buy the cheaper kits just to have a reference. Some exceptions to that - Deisgned a Crossfire and then realized it was close to a WAC Corporal then up-scaled the WAC to 24mm then to the next size. Rabbit holes are everywhere. But fun.
For some of us, if I find a kit at a good price it is convenient to get all the little parts like engine blocks, centering rings, engine hook, parachute, etc. For other people they have boxes of those things so they can probably pull out the parts that they need, cut some fins, and get with the assembly.
I was going to buy a Goblin kit but build it with different fins, so if I could find the nose cone I could just build from other parts I already have. As far as I can tell the plastic nose cone used in the Goblin is not available for sale separately.

For some of us, if I find a kit at a good price it is convenient to get all the little parts like engine blocks, centering rings, engine hook, parachute, etc. For other people they have boxes of those things so they can probably pull out the parts that they need, cut some fins, and get with the assembly.
I was going to buy a Goblin kit but build it with different fins, so if I could find the nose cone I could just build from other parts I already have. As far as I can tell the plastic nose cone used in the Goblin is not available for sale separately.
Not everyone has a 3D printer but if you have it, there are tons of possibilities of building your own nose cones. Lots of 'nose cone factories' on Thingiverse. I just built a 24mm WAC Corporal nose cone which is fairly long and not available commercially as far as I can deduce. Easy enough. I agree about buying the kit to have insight in the design. I know we can use a sim file on most of these but I like having the kit if it is available. At the very least you get the decals - which I copy and make into my own waterslides.

I've got to find somebody local to me that can make some decals, Like water slides
Water slides aren’t too difficult, you can get the paper for it at craft stores. It’s a niche product but I’ll bet you’d be able to find some if you called first or checked online.

After that all you need is an inkjet printer and clear coat spray.

The goblin is one of the favorites at our launches. I hope they upscale this one.

Not everyone has a 3D printer but if you have it, there are tons of possibilities of building your own nose cones. Lots of 'nose cone factories' on Thingiverse. I just built a 24mm WAC Corporal nose cone which is fairly long and not available commercially as far as I can deduce. Easy enough. I agree about buying the kit to have insight in the design. I know we can use a sim file on most of these but I like having the kit if it is available. At the very least you get the decals - which I copy and make into my own waterslides.
I buy the kits sometimes just to get all of the misc. little parts. Sometimes I buy a kit and then make my own fins for it. I don't mind scratchbuilding and I've built some by finding a good photo and then putting dimensions on it and scaling it up or down as needed in autocad. For common kits I'll first hunt for an open rocket file and get the fin and tube dimensions from that, then scale up or down in autocad.
I'm wanting to build a few more BT55 kits for my fleet and the nose cone designs available from Estes are pretty limited. I don't really want to do balsa nose cones, I've had my quota of those in the past.

I contacted Estes through Facebook Messenger:

Me: Good morning Estes! There is some "speculation" going around that the Goblin has been discontinued. Is it true?

Estes: Hi Jonathan! No need to worry about the speculations, the Goblin has not been discontinued!

There you have it. The Gobby is not discontinued.

Or, you can take any commercial Der Red Max, any size, and trim the fins. You now have a Goblin - or darn close. The nose is slightly longer but you can fix that several ways. The body sizes are slightly different in the low power versions but if you made a DRM into a Goblin, it would be hard to tell what you did.

LOC makes a 3” Goblin?
Yeah, looked that up later..... 4", 5.5, and the monsterous 7.5" (which is what, 10 feet tall?).... I think Estes has me at the 3" one though. No MSRP yet, but once that hits production, I am getting one. Without doubt or hesitation.

Or, you can take any commercial Der Red Max, any size, and trim the fins. You now have a Goblin - or darn close. The nose is slightly longer but you can fix that several ways. The body sizes are slightly different in the low power versions but if you made a DRM into a Goblin, it would be hard to tell what you did.
DRM is 3 fins, Goblin 4 fins. There are now Goblin kits in all sizes from original size to 7.5".
I built a 7.5" in 2010 before the kits and main in nose cone kits. Build thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/almost-a-goblin.8709/ includes maiden flights.

OMG...
The Goblin is discontinued.

The Great Goblin is not the Goblin, it's an upscale (and not to scale with Der Big Red Max)
LOC 4" Goblin is not the Goblin, it's a clone upscale

Not sure why so many are trying to spin this to mean something different.

Gobby is BT-55 based with a 24mm mmt. DRM is BT-60 based with an 18mm mmt. "Trim the fins" hardly cuts it now, does it?

Back