GO BOX Launch System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a launch controller.

I sent an email to Pratt Hobbies, but thought I'd ask you folks and perhaps get answers from folks who actually have a GO BOX Launch System.
  • What is the country of origin?
  • I've got a (4) D motor cluster rocket in my fleet. If I make my own whips, would this controller be able to light these 4 motors simultaneously?
  • In the past I've always just hooked my 1970's era Estes controller to my car battery. Could I use the battery pack from a 12V cordless drill to power this controller? I've done this once before, but just wanted your opinion on the long term feasibility of this. I tend to like to use stuff I already have on hand, and I have (2) of these battery packs.
Thanks in advance :computer:
1644439386825.png

Last edited:
Made in the USA by Doug and his Son I believe. I think it would ignite your four motors if you used your car battery or the optional pad relay module. I just use a small 12v SLA battery on mine, which worked fine on a two motor cluster. My go box has bigger battery clips than what’s showing in the picture.

I got an email back from Doug Pratt.....
  • ...the GO Box is entirely US made. The enclosures are made in Ohio. I suppose the transistors and RCA jacks might be foreign but I buy them from an outfit in California. I build them myself.
  • The GO Box will certainly light clusters, assuming an adequate battery and a pad cable with as few connectors as possible.
  • The Li-Po (I assume) cordless drill batteries should be more than adequate, although I am not sure how you would connect them. All the cordless drills I own have slide-in contacts that would be impossible to use with the clamps that come with the GO Box. You can easily install your own power connector to the GO Box by cutting off the clamps; just keep the polarity straight, red positive and black negative. (If you get the polarity backward it will still fire an igniter but the continuity circuit won't work.)
The DeWalt 12V cordless drill battery has positive and negative slotted connections that work well with slide on blade connectors.

I just love it when my hard earned American dollars go to a hard working American.

This should work great.

001.JPG 003.JPG

I got an email back from Doug Pratt.....
  • ...the GO Box is entirely US made. The enclosures are made in Ohio. I suppose the transistors and RCA jacks might be foreign but I buy them from an outfit in California. I build them myself.
  • The GO Box will certainly light clusters, assuming an adequate battery and a pad cable with as few connectors as possible.
  • The Li-Po (I assume) cordless drill batteries should be more than adequate, although I am not sure how you would connect them. All the cordless drills I own have slide-in contacts that would be impossible to use with the clamps that come with the GO Box. You can easily install your own power connector to the GO Box by cutting off the clamps; just keep the polarity straight, red positive and black negative. (If you get the polarity backward it will still fire an igniter but the continuity circuit won't work.)
The DeWalt 12V cordless drill battery has positive and negative slotted connections that work well with slide on blade connectors.

I just love it when my hard earned American dollars go to a hard working American.

This should work great.

View attachment 503882 View attachment 503883

You are very resourceful, good job. I have a Pratt Hobbies Surefire II system; everything, including rechargeable battery sealed inside a case the size of a very small tackle box. It uses telephone extension cord, I have a reel about 200’ length of cord. The system is nearly twenty years old and the battery is still going strong. You should ask Doug to make you one of these. I should probably replace the silicone around the edges, it’s become a little aged/dirty over the years.

1B47BDA2-F8D4-4E02-9DF9-B60A0B540B38.jpeg

Last edited:
You are very resourceful, good job. I have a Pratt Hobbies Surefire II system; everything, including rechargeable battery sealed inside a case the size of a very small tackle box. It uses telephone extension cord, I have a reel about 200’ length of cord. The system is nearly twenty years old and the battery is still going strong. You should ask Doug to make you one of these. I should probably replace the silicone around the edges, it’s become a little aged/dirty over the years.

View attachment 503942
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the story and the photo.

I received my GO-BOX Launch System in the mail today.

I tested it out using a DeWALT 12V Cordless Drill battery and an Estes Ignitor. Worked like a charm.

001.JPG003.jpg002.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
IIRC I had to open my Go Box to troubleshoot what I thought was a loose or broken connection.
Found everything inside was encased in a big gob of silicone caulk.
Couldn't troubleshoot, wound up tossing it.

IIRC I had to open my Go Box to troubleshoot what I thought was a loose or broken connection.

Too bad, I have fixed 3.

Doug told me if I ever had any trouble with it to send it back and they would repair or replace it.

The Pratt Go Box has served me well for the last 7 years or so. But have they always had a buzzer that sounds as soon as the key is plugged in? Mine has never buzzed upon arming.

The Pratt Go Box has served me well for the last 7 years or so. But have they always had a buzzer that sounds as soon as the key is plugged in? Mine has never buzzed upon arming.
The go box I have doesn’t have a buzzer. When the clips are hooked up to the igniter(s), the battery clips are connected and the key is inserted then a small red LED bulb will illuminate if there’s continuity.

The go box I have doesn’t have a buzzer. When the clips are hooked up to the igniter(s), the battery clips are connected and the key is inserted then a small red LED bulb will illuminate if there’s continuity.
Yeah, that's the way my own 7-year old model operates too--no buzzer. But Go Box dealer ASP describes this feature in their description:

"When you plug in the safety key, a buzzer sounds to alert you and everyone in the area that launch is imminent."

Since neither of us have this feature on our Go Box, maybe this is a more recent feature that's meant to emulate the pad area beepers found on many club launchers that warn of imminent launch.

(Personally, I think a buzzer inside the hand-held Go Box that's loud enough to be heard by bystanders would be a great annoyance and distractor to the operator.)

Back