• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Gluing kevlar leader to MMT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have bought some kevlar pull tape (1000# from UMRS) and am planning on using it in my current build. I want to strap it to the motor tube and am wondering what the surest way to get it to stay is. I'm thinking that if I notch the upper centering ring on either side of the tube, then feed about 3" of the tape through and glue it in place with some epoxy I should be fine...or should I go longer?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
What size/weight rocket?

You're on the right track with the notching of the rings, so that the tape can fit underneath. What I do after I apply epoxy (I put it on the tube, and on the tape, smash the tape down, then put on more) is then wrap it in waxed paper, following by masking tape, to push pressure on it, and make sure it gets a good bond.

Depending on the weight of the rocket, 3" may not be enough.

-Kevin

I'm looking at 5.5 to 6 lbs loaded. The motor tube will have 3 centering rings and I'm thinking that if I go past the middle one and fold the leader then glue it to the backside of it that may be enough.

Wrapping it around the motor tube and tying a solid knot, then passing it through the centering ring works just as well. Saves some putzy work.

Wrapping it around the motor tube and tying a solid knot, then passing it through the centering ring works just as well. Saves some putzy work.

I've done this on low to mid power stuff but want two leads on this. One long piece with the ends bonded to the MMT and the mid point tied in a loop. Maybe I could tie the ends in two knots under the upper centering ring and then slather some epoxy on it.

I'm looking at 5.5 to 6 lbs loaded. The motor tube will have 3 centering rings and I'm thinking that if I go past the middle one and fold the leader then glue it to the backside of it that may be enough.

On a rocket that size, 3" is plenty. Folding it back up onto the centering ring isn't necessary, but definitely won't hurt anything, either.

-Kevin

Back