Gluing down Mylar???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Can you use white glue to glue Mylar onto the outside of a rocket?? I want to put some mylar decorations on a project I'm working on...

If not what WOULD you use??

Thanks for any info! OL JR :)

White or yellow water-based glues might work. I'll be interested to hear your results, after the rocket spends a day or two in the sun.

I would have started with 3M-type spray-on contact cement. That stuff seems to stick anything to anything.

Some guys on the US Spacemodeling team use Mylar on the outside of their rockets. They use finishing epoxy. However, it is very difficult to get a perfectly smooth finish, and temperature changes will put wrinkles in it.

White or yellow water-based glues might work. I'll be interested to hear your results, after the rocket spends a day or two in the sun.

I would have started with 3M-type spray-on contact cement. That stuff seems to stick anything to anything.

That sounds like a good idea... I've been meaning to give that stuff a try anyway... :)

Thanks guys! OL JR :)

When you spray make sure you have a nice covered area for the overspray. You want a nice light coating of the adhesive all over the surface.

kj

Like all the other replys if it's a new applications 3m 77 is what I use.

if it's a corner lift or something on an existing application I wick in a tiny amount of thin CA under the lift and roll the mylar back to the corner with a tiny piece of paper towel spayed with accelerator as the squeegee.

When you spray make sure you have a nice covered area for the overspray. You want a nice light coating of the adhesive all over the surface.

Also invert the can and clean out the nozzle when done. It is very easy to turn a $17 can of spray adhesive to a paperweight.

Also invert the can and clean out the nozzle when done. It is very easy to turn a $17 can of spray adhesive to a paperweight.

Thanks for the tips, guys... I appreciate it!

I decided to go for the $2.97 cent piece of gold trim monokote instead of messing around with the spray adhesive...

I might try it some other time for a different project... like wraps or something. I'll have to remember to invert the can and clean the nozzle as suggested. Man, $17 a can, they ARE proud of that stuff aren't they?? I thought 3M "Super 77" was like $7 a can at W/M... thought that was high enough... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

I used white glue to glue these pieces of mylar balloon to my Estes Oulander - but then I was intentionally going for the crinkled foil insulation look. If I wanted it to be flat I probably would have used the 3M Spray - but I also like your Monokote solution.

DSCF0584 - Copy.JPG

Hehehe... great minds think alike...

That's EXACTLY what I was saving this stuff for... Looks EXACTLY like the crinkly foil insulation on the LEM! This window pattern was just sort of a happy accident... :)

That looks VERY cool by the way! I've been thinking of 'cloning' this kit using cardstock, ping-pong ball fuel tanks (more realistic than the cylindrical ones) and the foil mylar insulation... maybe overcome a few shortcomings of the kit... :) OL JR :)

Back