Glug!, Glug!,,from rainy Wa State!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halvey

Reaction score
Howdy Rocketeers, and thanks for letting me in the door.

Been a modeler for 45+ years now. Had my hands on just about everything miniature and have a awesome working museum of hobby in my shop. Raced off-road 4x4 nitro RC for about 25 years,,mostly 1/8 scale.

Built model rockets from 77 to 85, about the time Loc Precision became a thing. First rocket back then was a Estes Citation Patriot and C6-7 engines, , when the rest of the Rocketry class was building balsa finned Alphas and using "B" motors. My 15 min of fame,,the class kept getting in trouble hovering around my table as I built my BIG rocket,,lol. Mine was the last launch of the day and the whole school chased it down.

Picked it back up briefly in 2011 when I built a Tazer Twin and Big Daddy for my nephew. Back into it again now. Have built a small fleet since the beginning of this year. Been stealthing around here picking up tips and tricks for quite some time now. Figured it was time to put some coin on the table for the plethora of info on here.

Thanks again.

Best flying field in WA state IMO is TriCities Rocketeers field outside Pasco WA, its a sod farm. Our flying season will start up again in late winter/early spring again. We fly LPR to L3.

Washington Aerospace is another great group to fly with, they should have some LPR/MPR launches at 60 Acres park.

There is also the Gorge Rocketry Club, good guys but I have never flown with them at their field in Goldendale.

https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

Hello as well!

I was just browsing about for HPR stuff and came across this post from Wa. State (If you're writing "Glug, Glug" I assume you're from the westside! (I'm over in Chelan Co myself.... COULD YOU PLEASE KEEP YOUR WEATHER ON YOUR SIDE!!!! (After all, that's what the Cascades are for!!!) :)🙃

Anyway, I have also have been in/out of rocketry my whole life and while you were busy building your Estes Citation, I was one of those kids doing an Alpha! But not at School, my parents signed me up for a class at The Pacific Science Center! I still remember building our rockets at a tables next to the space capsule. It was cool! If I think we launched in the Stadium at the Seattle Center. Pretty sure A's only though!

Anyway, welcome and thanks for giving me the nudge to join this group... you're right! Lots of good info here!

Jeff

TRA #1196

look at the time. I must be a hobbyist. I blame it on this site,,already.

Thanks Cape Byron. No kids of my own,,but several trained chocolate labs over the years. Might as well be kids. Nephew has grown into a good young man,,with morals. He's going Army Medical. Very proud.

Thanks Rich. I know that cutoff road from Spokane to the Tri's. lotsa sod farms out there, corn fields, carrot fields, Peas, White Onions, Potatoes, all across the state. The breadbasket of the Pac Northwest. A easy find on that field. Liking that Mansfield/Snell Ranch site on Wa Aerospace.. My kind of AGL and elbow room. Pops was a private pilot for 40 years. zoomed all over the state at altitude as we transited from Wa to Northern Idaho during visits. Tons of room out there for flying models,,just most of it is hidden among the rolling hills and that is a major air-lane overhead in that area,,or it was. Tri City's is about 5 hrs,,if I keep my foot in it up the Gorge. Goldendale,,about the same, Mansfield Snell Ranch is about 4 hrs. I see Goldendale is trying for a launch on the 19th, might take a drive, but first,,the weather.

Thanks Neil W. I also built a "Senior" Patriot with the 3" Big Red Max kit and ebay fins and rings. Stickershock made it look better than my paint effort. a 30ft rocket,,because it STILL looks like crap from 30 ft away(to me). It needs Klasscoat 2 part clear still,, but my HVLP gun just laughs at me shaking it's head when I look at it right now. I built the orig Citation first,,using the Estes kit and Apogee's slotted tube and rings. I think someone had stepped on the Estes kit,,the body tube was deflated, hence the slotted tube. Came out better, farther, faster, tougher anyways.

Thanks Jeff,, and Welcome in FNG!!. Lol! Ha!. Someone is going to do that to me,,might as well get my licks in early. We, wait,,,for the Newbie Dogpile,, On us. I'm kidding of course. All good folk on here it seems. You keep sending me bitter apples..more rain headed your way. Gotta juice them up. the Chelan Area is really nice. You get Canadian Moose coming down in a few select spots. The Pacific Science Center. Wow!. Flooding back. Thanks.

Thanks Folks. Sorry for the jump-back editing. I'm weird,,but weird makes the world go 'round.

I never made it to the sod farm. When I was a member of whip we launched at Scott's farm. Always had a great weekend, good group of people. There were usually folks from Oregon too. They'll probably try to lure you into going down to Brothers. Long drive but well worth it

.... COULD YOU PLEASE KEEP YOUR WEATHER ON YOUR SIDE!!!! (After all, that's what the Cascades are for!!!) :)🙃

I thought all those huge fans along I-90 were to get the clouds over the mountains?

I never made it to the sod farm. When I was a member of whip we launched at Scott's farm. Always had a great weekend, good group of people. There were usually folks from Oregon too. They'll probably try to lure you into going down to Brothers. Long drive but well worth it

I thought all those huge fans along I-90 were to get the clouds over the mountains?
Scott Binder is pretty heavily involved with WHiP Washington High Power rocketry and they have a launch site somewhere near Touchet WA iirc, I just havent had a chance to get down there. As for WAC they no longer have the Mansfield site, due to politics between them and the sportsmans club but they are looking for a new site.

Hahaha! Yeah, I guess I am the FNG!

Well it looks like my request to keep your weather over there worked! It was quite nice here today!

So how does one get in touch with the group out of Goldendale? Not to interested in going west of here (Well maybe to sabotage those pesky Fans! :) ) but N, E, or S absolutely! I heard there may have been some flying up on the plateau in the Waterville area?

By the way, born and raised in Wa.... but where the heck is "Touchet"?

Touchet is west of Walla Walla. Just past Lowden

Whatever you do don't call it Touché. It's pronounced Too-chee

Blasted thru Toouushay headed to Wally Wally about a year ago running for hyd lift ramps for my buddy's Ford 3 window coupe. I wonder why the single grain elevator and dusty out-buildings would be offended with my slack jaw pronunciation.

I live in Castle Rock. About 50 mi north of Portland, Or. Out-of-towners WILL transpose the first letter in each word,,and say it LOUD. We just laugh it off.

Absolutely POURED rain here yesterday. Hammered my Spring well in-ground cistern, Cleaning 1st stage filters today. Yuck. I don't like the filters, but I do like the free.

Sad about the Mansfield site, I was getting excited. Thanks for all the posts.

Can a person just show up for a launch, to chat, make notes, and watch?. Or do you have to have NAR numbers for those club meets??. I think I know the answer,,but better to ask.

Squish... Squish... An Expat Oregonian here, currently in China!

Welcome! Post Pictures! ;)

圣诞节快乐! 节日快乐!Shèngdàn jié kuàilè! Jiérì kuàilè! (Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!)

Hahaha! Yeah, I guess I am the FNG!

Well it looks like my request to keep your weather over there worked! It was quite nice here today!

So how does one get in touch with the group out of Goldendale? Not to interested in going west of here (Well maybe to sabotage those pesky Fans! :) ) but N, E, or S absolutely! I heard there may have been some flying up on the plateau in the Waterville area?

By the way, born and raised in Wa.... but where the heck is "Touchet"?
I've had good luck using the email address on the Membership Form page on their website (http://www.gorgerocketclub.com/grc790_interested-in-model-rocketry-2/). By the way, if you go down that way through Yakima, there's a Greek monastery half a mile past the entrance to Brooks Memorial State Park. They have a bakery attached, and you won't find a better spanakopita or baklava in Washington. It's great rocket recovery food!

Hey!. A Beijing accent from Sheridan??. Other way around??.

Baklava by the Monastery. Dangit. Now,,you make my choice of travel a bit tougher.

We need pictures of your modeling museum

Everyone's always after me Lucky Charms.

$5 at the door!.

Planes., Trains, Helis, Model Steam, Nitro Rc, Rimfire, Centerfire, Black Powder, lotsa cool junk. Your typical "lifer/packrat" pile.

Where at in NC are you?. Have family in Kentucky and SC. Thanks God the twisty missed them. Thanks God again that not too many got hurt.

Now a candle shortage in that area that needs candles. Candle prices have jumped 10 fold(wait for it). A Aunt in Kentucky watched the local store jack the prices on bottled water and Emerg taper style candles. One person's demise, is Another's gain. Sad, Sad, State.

Never rode the Willy Wonka bubble,,but heard alot about it. Wonder if it is still a greenhouse.

Back