Glues you should have

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the gules I think everyone should have. I for one like the one in the middle the best. Its a little hard to use but once it dry nothing will take it apart.

Dan

Spam.JPG

Originally posted by Dbarrm
I for one like the one in the middle the best. Its a little hard to use but once it dry nothing will take it apart.

Spam? :p

Not the meat itself but the clear jelly stuff thats around it in the can.

Dan :D

I'd like to add thin and thick CyA, and 15 minute and finishing epoxy.

Jason

Mine are Titebond II wood glue, thick and thin CA, 12hr epoxy, and a bit of plastic cement.

Although one of my son's rockets is 100% hot glue for adhesive!

Titebond II, Elmers white, thin CA, black rubberized CA, Perfect Glue Type I and II, Gorilla Glue, Liquid Nails, 5 min epoxy, 20 min epoxy, West epoxy, plastic cement, and yes, hot glue also

Not the meat itself but the clear jelly stuff thats around it in the can.

Dan :D

"Sticks to your ribs". And plate and lips and shirt....

CA, good wood glue, 5min and 24hr epoxy (west system)

For model rockets JZ Super RC Z 56 is the best glue I have ever used. It dries fast, clear, stong, and doesn't shrink. On my high power rockets I use 3M Accutech DP-420 epoxy. It has an overlap shear strength of over 3000psi.

rcz56.jpg

While we're on the topic of the Handbook of MR on another thread, G. Harry Stine always recommended Allene's Tacky Glue, available at most craft and hardware store.

The regular formula comes in a gold bottle, the quick-drying version in a silver bottle. I use 'em both, they seem to set up and grip faster than Elmer's. They both dry pretty strong and haven't gotten brittle as far as I can tell.

glueslash.JPG

I don't know about the Floral Glue stuff in the middle... :D

I've got 3-4 of those double-plunger epoxy things on hand too.

You want Testors Plastic Model Cement on hand, for gluing plastic model parts together.

That reminds me. I need to get some Spam. Spam is so good for breakfast with toast and eggs. Mmmmm. :p

cool,a glue pic thread
my main glues are
titebond II or III
Weldbond(glues anything)
med and thin cya
Ambroid welder(for hard plastic)
West System 30 min-once you have it ,no other epoxy is needed (if you use microballoons ,thickners...ect)

I kinda wanted a Poted meat thread with the glue as a cover up but oh well.

Dan

Heres my favorite selection........

Humbrol Poly Cement ( Plastic Cement )
NHP 5/12/30/3hr 2-Part Epoxy
NHP/Flash Thin/Medium/Thick CA
Evostik Weather-proof Wood Glue
Evostik PVA/Wood Glue
El Cheapo PVA....

My list is almost identical to GL-P's - 24 hour epoxy, 5 minute epoxy, yellow wood glue, thin and medium CA. Thin CA is for soaking into paper or cardboard to reinforce it. Medium CA is the ultimate quick adhesive; I have one bottle for building rockets and another in the range bag for instant repairs.

LPR:
I recently started using Aleene's Tacky Glue and am a HUGE FAN! Dries much quicker than Elmer's but seems just as strong and dries clear.

MPR-HPR:
I've been using Hobby Store (Bob Smith's) 15 minute Epoxy. I work too slowly for the 5 minute stuff. This isn't as good a West Systems but comes in more reasonable quantities for my smallish projects.

Other glues of note:
Apogee Rocketry's Epoxy Clay -- It makes very solid fillets quickly though they generally come out a bit heavy. It's perfect to add permanent nose weight to the inside of a plastic nose come.

Medium CA -- Essential for on-field repairs.

Thin CA - Great for strengthing BTs around joints.

-- Jim

I just started using US Composites epoxy and I love it. They just need minipumps though! those pumps put out an ounce of epoxy, which is a frickin' lot if you ask me. Plus, at the lowest measurement (2:1 at one ounce per pump) that's 3oz.

I just got some CA Gel about a month ago and love it. And, it's pretty easy to sand...go figure:)

paapt26.jpg

I've noticed that a lot of people like using CA on their rockets. Why? I try to get CA the heck away from my rockets except for quick field repairs and tacking fins on minimum diameter rockets before the epoxy. What do you guys use it for?

I use CA for everything from soaking balsa fins in it to add strength and fill the grain, quick repairs, making fast fillets when I am to impatient to wait for white glue to dry, (a spray or two of accelerator here makes things go even faster) tacking fins on larger rockets before epoxying them, building motor mounts, running some on the end of the tube to strengthen or stiffen it up after a hard landing. Oh yes, and glueing my fingers together. That's where de-bonder comes in real handy!!

The above is mostly on Estes kits. For larger kits I always use epoxy.

...Fudd

Here is a pic of the gules I think everyone should have. I for one like the one in the middle the best. Its a little hard to use but once it dry nothing will take it apart.

Dan

Spam.JPG

How do you like the Gorilla Glue? I have thought about buying it, but wanted to talk to someone who has used it first. What is the drying time like? Can you make fillets with it?

Thanks.

...Fudd

I like:
Yellow wood glue (Tightbond II Aliphatic)
West Systems Epoxy (with various fillers depending upon application)
CA (Loctite usually)
Polystyrene Cement (Humbrol)
I usually have some 5 minute epoxy around too, for quick repairs.

CYA glue is good for quick field repairs and repairing cracks in balsa.

Cracked balsa, like fins and the hollow tail cones I make (they can be delicate before the motor tube is glued in.) is what CYA glue is perfect for.

It works best were there is a tight barely noticeable gap...like cracked balsa.

Anything else I use a different glue...usually Elmer's white.

Epoxy is for the big stuff!

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I've noticed that a lot of people like using CA on their rockets. Why? I try to get CA the heck away from my rockets except for quick field repairs and tacking fins on minimum diameter rockets before the epoxy. What do you guys use it for?

Thin CA- coating fins before finishing. Fin repair. Coatng nose cone tips. Soaking steel eyelets into balsa nose cones.

Thick CA- making motor mounts quick. I use it as a base fillet sometimes.

CA Gel- Glueing fin pieces together. I'm also using it for glueing balsa fins to balsa boat....tails. Works great.:D
V2%20Fins%20glued.JPG

Back