Glueing an Apogee BT-50 tube sleeve

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What would be the proper technique to glue an Apogee BT-50 tube sleeve onto an Apogee tube?

I'd like to use Titebond II or similar, achieve the maximum practical strength of the assembly, yet not have the risk of the sleeve seizing up prematurely during the join.
I'm thinking of putting a ring of glue just at the entrance to the sleeve, then another at the halfway point.

Any better ideas?

Before
DSC00288.jpg
After
DSC00289.jpg

Three vertical beads evenly spaced around the internal circumference of the airframe. Insert the coupler to the required depth in one quick motion. I actually like to use a glue with less grab like epoxy or Gorilla polyurethane for couplers and motor mounts. More working time and no chance of shrinkage causing puckering of the airframe.

Last edited:
I would absolutely not use TBII for this, no way no how.

If epoxy is too heavy for this application (I imagine that most will be squeezed out) then use Elmers white glue.

No matter which you use, strength will not be a problem on this kind of joint. Choose a glue that maximizes your chances of getting it assembled successfully.

If epoxy is too heavy for this application (I imagine that most will be squeezed out) then use Elmers white glue.

No matter which you use, strength will not be a problem on this kind of joint. Choose a glue that maximizes your chances of getting it assembled successfully.
I agree because TBII grabs so quick.

Three vertical beads evenly spaced around the internal circumference of the airframe. Insert the coupler to the required depth in one quick motion. I actually like to use a glue with less grab like epoxy or Gorilla polyurethane for couplers and motor mounts. More working time and no chance of shrinkage causing puckering of the airframe.
I have Gorilla Super Glue. Is this the same as Gorilla polyurethane glue?

Edit: No, I see Original Gorilla Glue is the same as Gorilla polyurethane glue. As a rule, I dislike this glue because it expands and bubbles if used for fillets. But I guess for internal joints like this it won't do any such harm?

Titebond III claims to have longer assembly time than Titebond II. Is this true, and if so would it be as acceptable as white glue, i.e., Elmer's Glue-All?

Last edited:
I have Gorilla Super Glue. Is this the same as Gorilla polyurethane glue?

Edit: No, I see Original Gorilla Glue is the same as Gorilla polyurethane glue. As a rule, I dislike this glue because it expands and bubbles if used for fillets. But I guess for internal joints like this it won't do any such harm?

Correct. Use on hidden pieces only. Also I don't dampen the parts to be joined. Straight out of the bottle and the ambient humidity in my garage has always produced a strong low-foam connection.

How many times I can count getting a sleeve stuck. I would use just your standard hobby epoxy. I use 15 minute or whatever I have available? If you go with wood glue make I coat the inside of the tube and work it around. I do the same on the sleeve and then a quick push.

If you don't want to take a chance then use epoxy like others have recommended. Personally, I don't have an issue with TBII or TBIII for couplers. Just use a good coating on BOTH the inside of the tube and the outside of the coupler. Slides together nice and easy. Just don't stop and be sure to have a damp rag nearby as there will be glue pushing out.

I take a small 3/16" diameter wooden dowel and apply Gorilla wood glue to the end of it, then use that dowel to apply the glue to the internal surface about 1/2" less than where the sleeve will end.

Then also apply the wood glue to the outside surface, about 1/2" less than where the sleeve will end.

This means the sleeve won't grab the glue until it is nearly in it's final location. Twist the parts as you assemble them, like you are threading them together.

YMMV

Back