Glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some glue to put together my low powered rockets in the future. Last time I used normal super glue and it left white marks on the tubing. :(
Does anyone reccomend any glues on www.deepskyrocketshop.co.uk?

Thanks.

For some reason, the website is not working on my computer. So, I would recomend that you paint after putting your model together and glueing everything. If that is not an option, then use CA and use it sparingly. Try to contain it by not using much at all. Someone who can get on the site probably could tell you more. Maybe you should try Elmers?? It is only low power.

Originally posted by phaar
For some reason, the website is not working on my computer. So, I would recomend that you paint after putting your model together and glueing everything. If that is not an option, then use CA and use it sparingly. Try to contain it by not using much at all. Someone who can get on the site probably could tell you more. Maybe you should try Elmers?? It is only low power.

Thanks for the reply.
The body tube came pre-painted, so I did not have much choice.

Ok, on their site there is:
Flash CA - Thin
Flash CA - Medium
Flash CA - Thick

They are all the same price, but which should I get?

Thanks! :)

Get medium. It is just right in between so that should be the best. Just try not to get it on the the tube a lot because it will also leave a white mark. The medium should help you control it a lot though. Just apply it very sparingly. You may also want to try some excelerator too. You can choose to not use it but it makes it a lot faster. In case you do not know of what I am talking about, excelerator is sprayed on after the CA is applied. Once this is put on, it will dry within 20 seconds. Just BE CAREFUL not to get any of it and the CA at the same time on you hands! It is the worst burn you have ever felt. Then again, you could just not get it, but I think it would really help. Good luck!

BTW, welcome to the forum! Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Rich
Hi,

I need some glue to put together my low powered rockets in the future. Last time I used normal super glue and it left white marks on the tubing. :(
Does anyone reccomend any glues on www.deepskyrocketshop.co.uk?

Thanks.

All those cost too much because they do way more than you need.

Use yellow carpenter's glue (aliaphatic resin) like Titebond II or Elmer's Wood Glue. Way cheaper than the other stuff, and plenty strong enough for any low power rockets. And if you make a mess, it cleans with water. Not so the others.

I have to agree with Dynasoar,
Use Emers or titebond wood glue.
Cleans up with water and is plenty strong.
As far as the BT being painted I would assume you will scrape the paint where you are joining the fins.
If not even super glue will not make a difference as you will be bonding to the paint and will have a weak joint no matter what glue you use.

many of the colored tube rockets have plastic fins and/or 2 pc plastic cones .I would not suggest wood glue for that

one glue won't do it all ,so a bottle of med cya is good to have around for the plastic parts and wood glue is better for the balsa fins, paper tubes and rings.

you need both

Personal preference is the rule here.

There's nothing wrong with traditional white/wood glue, but with little free time on my hands these days, the "new era" of CA-based building is a real advantage to me. I still use white/wood glue to install engine mounts (pre-fabbed as a module) into body tubes and even on those rare times when I still use an Estes-style 3-fold shock mount, but that's about it. With CA used in the right places, I can complete a build in a single session. Nothing's better than thin CA to tack on fins.

well, in my opinion you can't beat a bit of bostick hot melt, it sticks all sorts of things and cools to form clear bits, ok so you have umps where u glue but a blade can clear this up easy!

quick, sticks and clear- good stuff

dan :kill:

Originally posted by limd21
Personal preference is the rule here.

There's nothing wrong with traditional white/wood glue, but with little free time on my hands these days, the "new era" of CA-based building is a real advantage to me. I still use white/wood glue to install engine mounts (pre-fabbed as a module) into body tubes and even on those rare times when I still use an Estes-style 3-fold shock mount, but that's about it. With CA used in the right places, I can complete a build in a single session. Nothing's better than thin CA to tack on fins.

That's pretty much my modus operandi too.

White glue for:
assembling motor mounts
gluing the assembled motor mount in the body tube
gluing couplers into body tubes
for fillets

CA for:
virtually everything else.

for low power i just use elmers or scotch gel super glue for fins, mmt's etc... I use the liquid super glue for coating fins to smooth em down... i use white glue to reenforce everything

Originally posted by stymye
many of the colored tube rockets have plastic fins and/or 2 pc plastic cones .I would not suggest wood glue for that

one glue won't do it all ,so a bottle of med cya is good to have around for the plastic parts and wood glue is better for the balsa fins, paper tubes and rings.

you need both

True: wood glue is not good for plastic, including plastic coated pre-colored tubes.

His complaint was white marks left by CyA. This would be more apparent on colored anything. I know; I've had to touch up an absolutely beautiful cobalt blue metal flake with thick clear coat finish because of CyA crystals. CyA gives off fumes as it cures and these condense around the parts.

For plastic parts, including plastic-to-paper or plastic-to-wood, plastic glue is the best. It dries clear, doesn't leave a residue, and if you use it even approximately correctly, the bond will be plastic melted into plastic (or paper, or wood) and therefore stronger than the material around the bond.

Also, plastic under the stresses in a flying rocket will tend to flex. CyA doesn't; it's brittle and can crack. Plastic glue, being plastic mixed with solvent to make it liquid (although thick, almost like a putty) will flex after drying.

For plastic-to-plastic (polystyrene being the most common) you can use the bottled thin liquid with the brush in the lid. It's the solvent and will melt the surfaces you oaint it on to, allowing you to bond them. They will dry together and be welded. For plastic to anything else including plastic (pre-colored) coated tubes, the squeeze tube of thick plastic cement is best.

CyA is more convenient because it's faster, and doesn't give off as much fumes. But that's about the only benefits.

Oh yeah, you can make fillets with plastic glue, even on just paper and balsa. Smooth, clear, paintable fillets just like epoxy, without the hassle.

The only spiral and dent filler I really like besides epoxy clay is Testors Contour Putty. It'sd just their plastic cement pre-mixed with a filler. It looks and acts like wood putty, but is plastic and solvent based. I don't buy it anymore, because I save my balsa sanding dust, mix it with the cement, and make my own of the density I desire.

Plastic glues are available anywhere that plastic models (far more common than rockets) are sold.

Back