Glue the Ungluable

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's about 2000psi tensile. One of the epoxies I use - a specialty epoxy - is rated around 24000psi IIRC. That stuff they made may be interesting, but one of the toughest? Nah.

What appears novel here, perhaps, is getting decent strength with a reusable adhesive. Assuming the whole article isn't made of fairy dust. And assuming by "reusable" they didn't mean "recycled".

Gerald

That's about 2000psi tensile. One of the epoxies I use - a specialty epoxy - is rated around 24000psi IIRC. That stuff they made may be interesting, but one of the toughest? Nah.

What appears novel here, perhaps, is getting decent strength with a reusable adhesive. Assuming the whole article isn't made of fairy dust. And assuming by "reusable" they didn't mean "recycled".

Gerald

As a point of reference.. J-B Weld's over the counter everywhere 2 part epoxy is 5,020 PSI

007.JPG

"Tough" is not the same as "strong". Tensile strength is the measure of the tension (force per cross sectional area) that a material can withstand before breaking. Toughness is the measure of the energy (per volume if memory serves) that a material can take before breaking. The article mentioned that the stuff has some elasticity, which will make it tougher than many non-elastic materials with much higher tensile strength. Without more information, one does not know how your specialty epoxy stacks up against this stuff for toughness.

"Tough" is not the same as "strong". Tensile strength is the measure of the tension (force per cross sectional area) that a material can withstand before breaking. Toughness is the measure of the energy (per volume if memory serves) that a material can take before breaking. The article mentioned that the stuff has some elasticity, which will make it tougher than many non-elastic materials with much higher tensile strength. Without more information, one does not know how your specialty epoxy stacks up against this stuff for toughness.

I was intrigued that it was also appropriate for moderately high temperatures - maybe for motor mounts? The elasticity might make it good for cold weather. Anyway, more of just an interesting article that I wanted to share and did not think it needed a dedicated thread.

Back