Glue the Ungluable

G_T

Reaction score
That's about 2000psi tensile. One of the epoxies I use - a specialty epoxy - is rated around 24000psi IIRC. That stuff they made may be interesting, but one of the toughest? Nah.

What appears novel here, perhaps, is getting decent strength with a reusable adhesive. Assuming the whole article isn't made of fairy dust. And assuming by "reusable" they didn't mean "recycled".

Gerald

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That's about 2000psi tensile. One of the epoxies I use - a specialty epoxy - is rated around 24000psi IIRC. That stuff they made may be interesting, but one of the toughest? Nah.

What appears novel here, perhaps, is getting decent strength with a reusable adhesive. Assuming the whole article isn't made of fairy dust. And assuming by "reusable" they didn't mean "recycled".

Gerald

As a point of reference.. J-B Weld's over the counter everywhere 2 part epoxy is 5,020 PSI

007.JPG

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seemed relevant to this thread --

Upcycled adhesive is one of the toughest materials ever reported:
Hrmm, if the boron whatsits are that hungry for hydroxyls, could be good news on a prepped uhmwpe surface. Nickel-something suspended in a flammable, wipe-fire-glue?

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
"Tough" is not the same as "strong". Tensile strength is the measure of the tension (force per cross sectional area) that a material can withstand before breaking. Toughness is the measure of the energy (per volume if memory serves) that a material can take before breaking. The article mentioned that the stuff has some elasticity, which will make it tougher than many non-elastic materials with much higher tensile strength. Without more information, one does not know how your specialty epoxy stacks up against this stuff for toughness.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
"Tough" is not the same as "strong". Tensile strength is the measure of the tension (force per cross sectional area) that a material can withstand before breaking. Toughness is the measure of the energy (per volume if memory serves) that a material can take before breaking. The article mentioned that the stuff has some elasticity, which will make it tougher than many non-elastic materials with much higher tensile strength. Without more information, one does not know how your specialty epoxy stacks up against this stuff for toughness.

I was intrigued that it was also appropriate for moderately high temperatures - maybe for motor mounts? The elasticity might make it good for cold weather. Anyway, more of just an interesting article that I wanted to share and did not think it needed a dedicated thread.

DES

Reaction score
I just posted the start of a build thread for Klima EXA that is relevant to this "glue the ungluable".

The first step involved gluing vacuum formed plastic fin skins together. I assumed they were ABS or styrene, but all of the typical plastic glues peel right off.

Latest posts