Glue stalactite

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnager

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Every now and then, I get a weird glue result. This one was interesting. Small pinhole by a piece of stainless wire for weight retention. I had a "nearly-as-cool" stalagmite where it dripped, but it was kicked out the garage door.

IMG_0503.JPG

Figured as much. Why not use epoxy?

The wire is actually epoxied in with the lanyard for the nose. The polyurethane was only added to raise the weight. Apparently, when I cut/sanded the wire flush, I made a pinhole. The glue is secured very well to the kevlar and the weights. The wire and kevlar are epoxied in.

The main reason is, I don't usually get too medieval on 29mm rockets for nose weight securing. This one is just not going to go fast enough to worry about. Honestly, I have more this size that have clay or fun-tac as nose weight, and see this as a little overkill, already.

Gorilla Polyurethane is great for nose weight retention, I use it all the time. That being said, I have had it "pop" a couple of nosecones at the seam when it expanded. One was an Estes Conquest and the other was a scratch build using a similar nosecone. In each case, I concluded that I'd use too much glue.

Gorilla Polyurethane is great for nose weight retention, I use it all the time. That being said, I have had it "pop" a couple of nosecones at the seam when it expanded. One was an Estes Conquest and the other was a scratch build using a similar nosecone. In each case, I concluded that I'd use too much glue.

Yeah, pretty sure this happened because the top surface of the glue in the nose was wetted and tended to seal it off before the bottom was cured. It just expanded in a direction I wasn't entirely happy with. I wanted it to fill the nose, rather than run down the side.

I didn't know there was a pinhole until the next day.

This was not my first surprise polyurethane glue cure.

Back