Glue for clear plastic 'payload' sections?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently building an Estes "Supernova" it has a clear 'payload' section. A paper ring is supposed to be glued into the clear tube to form the bottom of the nose cone.

The instructions indicate to use plastic 'weld' cement. As far as I know that stuff does not melt the clear plastic and would be a poor bond. Also the paper tube is kind of a loose fit into the clear section making things a little more iffy.

Any ideas or recommendations?

What about CA or epoxy?

I went ahead and used 5 minute epoxy. I roughed up the inside of the clear tube a little where the shoulder goes to help with adhesion. I feel better about it due to the kind of loose fit. The epoxy will fill the gaps.

Seems to have worked well. Only time will tell.

Cut strips of label paper, as wide as the shoulder of the nose cone or aft adapter, and apply to the inside of the tube. White glue will adhere to the paper.

Or use 5 minute epoxy :D

Self adhesive labels attached to both parts and then white glued together.

With epoxy rough up both parts, then epoxy them together.

No matter what method you use, the adhesive should be applied to the inside of the tube then it should be kept upright until the glue sets.

Pacer Formula 560 or equivalent (stuff sold into the RC model trade as "canopy glue").

Beacon Foam Tac might work - I'll have to try that the next time I do a Nova Payloader or some such. I used that stuff to put the wraps on my 2157 Saturn V and it worked very nicely so now that I have some I could try it here.

Label paper (or tape strips) stuck to the inside is the old school way (from back in the sixties) and certainly should still work.

Plastic airplane modelers use a glue made for clear canopies.
It can also be used to make windows.
It looks like milk.
LHS will have it.

Devcon makes a epoxy specifically for plastics. Obviously it doesn't work on everything (polyethylene, teflon etc) but I used it on many and I was impressed. Home Depot has stopped carrying Devcon products (did they get bought up by another company?) but they did have the JB Weld epoxy called "Plastic Bonder".

Back