Glow sticks?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
i found a pack of around 20 green and i lit up and said "oh hell yeah"

now is it bad to launch at night or something? i was planning on doing this in winter cause it gets dark around 5 in new york so it wouldn't be like im out there at 10:00 launchin em

so should i put the glow stick on the shroud line of maybe my fat boy?

or make a nosecone outta foam that you could change sticks?

Try putting one into a clear plastic payload section! Should make tracking your rocket on descent a lot easier than with a white chute on a cloudy day...

WW

I tied a glow stick to a shockcord once and when I was flying at night. It worked perfectly but you could track the rocket just because of the sparks coming out of the motor the whole flight. Stil wicked cool

Here's a pick of a parallel staged rocket i built around a "Night Bobby". They're battery operated fishing bobbers--I got mine at WalMart.

https://www.cabelas.com/information/Fishing/NightBobby.html

The decals are homemade but ran in water and looked like they'd been through a major space battle. Rather than do them again, I decided to add battle damage!

Nose detail... Check out the nose art--WWII cheese cake with an "alien" head. The nickname on the ship is "Shore Leave" in an alien font.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
now is it bad to launch at night or something?

I hate to rain on your parade, but it is against the law to do night lauching w/o an FAA waiver. I know because I had to get one for my Estes X-ray w/ a really sweet LED set up. If you still want to launch have at it; I just thought I'd warn you.

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
is it bad to launch at night or something?

yeah, like mkmilion commented, it is just a bit illegal

search the old TRF threads and you will find some good posts by micromister and other guys
they describe the hoops you have to jump through with the FAA
it isn't impossible to do, but you want to do it the right way, especially these days with the over-enthusiastic homeland security police running around loose

Back