Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Ive seen some RC gliders recently what use a model rocket motor to boost them into the sky , but the motors burn for a good 12secs or something , are these the plugged motors ?
-Karl

Most likely.... Are the kind that you seen small? I know a company in Europe wanted to try and bring back Jetex in a disposable motor format... they were a very low thrust B motor... burned a long time. Or was the glider you saw fairly large, and flown on an Aerotech G12-RCT, which burns for 8 seconds?

The small ones I've seen were from a Czeck (sp?) company called Rapier. They look like an Estes motor, but are low thrust/long burn. They work good in the old Jetex free flight planes.

There's a company in England that makes a neat Bell X-1 FF kit that works great with the Rapier motors. This is on my "when I get around to it" list.

https://www.samsmodels.demon.co.uk/bell.html

How cool it that!

John

Aerotech makes (made - hopefully will make again) a 24mm and a 29mm RC reload system, I don't know offhand how long the 29mm reloads burned for, but the longest burning 24mm reload (E6) burned for about 7 seconds.

Edmonds is testing a completely hands free RC/BG flying on standard D12 or E9 24mm motors, pod-pod style. I have one built but the W---(dirty four letter work) has kept me from flying it as yet. For novice RC flyer it seems to be a winner!

Originally posted by vjp
Aerotech makes (made - hopefully will make again) a 24mm and a 29mm RC reload system, I don't know offhand how long the 29mm reloads burned for, but the longest burning 24mm reload (E6) burned for about 7 seconds.

The larger RC motor was 32mm diameter. A 29mm motor could fit in the casing... and that is how you would use the disposable F14P with the Phoenix glider. The loads for the 32mm motor is as follows:

F13-RCT - 60 n/s 5 second burn - Blue Thunder for low smoke.
F16-RCJ - 80 n/s 4-5 second burn - Black Jack.
F23-RCW-SK - 60 n/s 2-3 second burn - White Lightning - Tracking smoke.
G12-RCT - 100 n/s 8 second burn - Blue Thunder.

I have some of each loads... waiting for the day I build my Phoneix, or repair my Monocopter... the F13 and G12 make great monocopter motors. I hope Aerotech makes more of these loads... they are awesome.

Originally posted by Micromister
Edmonds is testing a completely hands free RC/BG flying on standard D12 or E9 24mm motors, pod-pod style. I have one built but the W---(dirty four letter work) has kept me from flying it as yet. For novice RC flyer it seems to be a winner!

Yep, that is one cool little kit, I wish he'd hurry up and release it! (I missed out on the pre-production run).

I have videos of the Arcie test flights from the February NARHAMS launch on my home page (just follow the "WWW" link below).

The average flight on a "D", with no thermal assist, was about 2 minutes.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Most likely.... Are the kind that you seen small? I know a company in Europe wanted to try and bring back Jetex in a disposable motor format... they were a very low thrust B motor... burned a long time. Or was the glider you saw fairly large, and flown on an Aerotech G12-RCT, which burns for 8 seconds?

They where quite alot bigger than that 1 in the pic , it boosted for about 12 seconds , it sounded like a normal estes motor , but not quite as loud.
-Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Ive seen some RC gliders recently what use a model rocket motor to boost them into the sky , but the motors burn for a good 12secs or something , are these the plugged motors ?
-Karl

Aerotech's broadest line of RC RG motors were 24 MM reloads in D7 and E6 sizes. Both motors had the same thrust profile, but the E burns longer. When properly flown the E will take a 36" span (slightly less than 1 meter) model from the ground to 1,200 feet in about 8 seconds. It'a about the most fun you can have with a glider on a rocket field.. . .

Back