Glider or Just thing to hang on rear view mirror?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyhow, it's time for an upscale of this design. I'll add it to my list of scratch builds. Looks simple enough, but I don't have enough spare balsa right now to make those wings, so I guess there's a trip to the hobby store in my future, *or* I'll be ordering some stuff very soon, and then justify buying another kit so the shipping doesn't feel like it's killing me.

Hold on, I just realized I have a Custom Rockets "Galactic Taxi" that I bought for $6, that might have most of the parts I need to kitbash this thing to an 18mm motor at least. I like the overall design, but I'm really thinking that it's the metallic blue paint job that really makes it striking. However, it may be possible to build this over the course of next week, assuming I get a couple of free evenings (wait, monday is a holiday!) AHA.

Yeah, I'm a Gerry Anderson geek. Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet UFO, Space 1999, rank as my favorite TV shows. Love that stuff.

..., but I'm really thinking that it's the metallic blue paint job that really makes it striking.

See if there is anyone in your area that has the Cosmichrome spray system:

https://www.cosmichrome.com/cosmichrome-systems/
Manufacturer's site says it can be applied to any porous material, and specifically calls out wood. No idea what it would cost, but I suspect it is going to be prohibitive for a model rocket, you would have to REALLY want that finish.

Here's what I'm thinking to simulate that finish: After primer, a base coat of white. Then find the shiniest most metallic blue I can find that comes out of a spray can. I'm willing to bet that Tamiya makes something that'll work (Looks like Tamiya 86016 or Duplicolor MS400) . Multiple coats of that. Followed by multiple coats of gloss clear.

Duplicolor also makes a paint they call "Metalcast" which is intended to simulate an anodized finish. It is applied over a silver basecoat if I recall... Blue is one of the hues available.
Yeah, I saw that, but I'm not sure how to paint "chrome" onto a rocket. Base coat of white, then Sliver, then maybe clear, then the blue finish, and then clear again?

For the record, S H A D O, the moon base, and all those cool vehicles were supposed to be in place in 1980, fighting an alien attack. 1980. In reality, all we had to fight with in 1980 were Chevy Citations.
I would have settled for Straker's cool brown car with the Turbine sounding engine. But a Mobile would have been nice as well.

OK, well, back on topic. I stopped into a Hobby Lobby on the way home, and found a Testors spray paint that is a metallic blue, so, gonna give that a shot. But first, I need to build the damn rocket. So many projects on the build pile. I've got a very busy winter ahead.

Ok, did a little research into this object via:
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1203/est1203.pdfAnd it looks like the Strakes are only on the upper part of the wing, not underneath as well, although I might change that for symmetry purposes. I don't know if they were to be chines like the SR-71 has, or if they were representing air-intakes for some kind of jet engine. Better/More photos would help, but I'm sure I can make this (or something close) with a kit-bash and some extra balsa. I will start laying it out on Monday.

And oddly enough, Estes has ONLY made this design as a plastic snap together rocket and never as a Tube/Fins rocket, which is really too bad, as it's rather pretty.

Ok, did a little research into this object via:
https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1203/est1203.pdfAnd it looks like the Strakes are only on the upper part of the wing, not underneath as well, although I might change that for symmetry purposes. I don't know if they were to be chines like the SR-71 has, or if they were representing air-intakes for some kind of jet engine. Better/More photos would help, but I'm sure I can make this (or something close) with a kit-bash and some extra balsa. I will start laying it out on Monday.
Freaky Flyer reminds me of another snap together rocket: Firestreak SST.

I wish I still had my gold one to show you some pics.
Basically the motor mount slides out with rear eject.
A tether is connected to the front end of the motor mount and forward end of the rocket interior.
If there is enough room between the motor tube and the wall of the rocket you can fold a streamer between the centering rings. If not, then break apart recovery. That will keep it from descending ballistically.
Here is Tim Van Milligan’s rear eject video. Seems pretty straight forward. Just don’t glue in the motor mount. Attach kevlar shock cord to nose cone. Glue in nose cone. Parachute or streamer wraps around the motor mount (between the centering rings). Ejection charge pushes the whole motor mount out along with the recovery device.

Latest posts

Back