Quantcast

Glasspacks' LVL II Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You know you have to try the largest motor that will fit, eventually. I want to hear about the sims for the 3147L935 in the 6GXL case.

My sims for my L2 cert rocket said about 10,500 ft, but ended up only 9559 ft at M1.2. I'm still waiting for the right day to top 10K at an east coast field. That motor might be too much for a cert flight, but you have to fly your field too. I did my L2 with a K695R to just over 6400 ft. which was a good altitude and flight for our field on that day. I did see a L2 cert over 11K ft at our field and I think that was pushing it, but he had a GPS tracker that worked great and he got lucky on where it landed and it was recovered.

I think you will be surprised how solid the cardboard rockets really are. You have to use your experience with L1 at your field to determine how high and hard you want to push your L2. Go with what feels right for you, you know the field.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
thank you Handeman, I will most definitely push it after my Cert flight. The WOOSH club in Wisconsin flies at Bong Recreation area, that is where I would most likely attempt the Cert. It has Water Traps, Tree Traps and at times, grass that I NEVER would have thought could hide a rocket SOOOO WELL !! But It is so close to my Mom, childhood home and all of my family that it just makes sense. But there last flight is September 26ish..... If that doesn't pan out, I really would like to make a trip to Montana to fly with Steve Shannon. I will run some Sims after work and show you the data...........

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
thank you Handeman, I will most definitely push it after my Cert flight. The WOOSH club in Wisconsin flies at Bong Recreation area, that is where I would most likely attempt the Cert. It has Water Traps, Tree Traps and at times, grass that I NEVER would have thought could hide a rocket SOOOO WELL !! But It is so close to my Mom, childhood home and all of my family that it just makes sense. But there last flight is September 26ish..... If that doesn't pan out, I really would like to make a trip to Montana to fly with Steve Shannon. I will run some Sims after work and show you the data...........
hey, @Glasspack, I would like to fly at Bong too. I grew up in Wisconsin and took my parents and siblings to Bong for LDRS when I was visiting there once. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly that day, but I was able to show my family what my hobby was all about. I still can't get over the water ponds.... I don't mind trees, brush and tall grass, but ponds.... I don't know...! Then again, we now have a large beaver pond at the BattlePark, so hopefully I won't have to find out what recovery in that is like.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Handeman, Since I only have Cesaroni Cases, that is what I simulated so far...……… Here is a CTI L990BS. looks like it would be an impressive flight no doubt, Just hit Mach One. Would never try this for my Cert...……...but...…….later ???

Attachments

Last edited:

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Handeman, Here is another SIM. This one is the Motor you asked about. The CTI J935IM, This one simulated at over 8700 feet and
Mach 1.1 when I used the weather and field elevation closer to Bong...

What do you think of the J380 Smokey Sam for my Cert. I am concerned about the rail exit speed though.... Seems slow to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I found the lower section of my model fell over in the garage (door was open) from winds....It hit some metal table legs and dinged up a fin edge. Now i have THAT to repair. New siding and some deck rework on the home, is taking up a lot of my time to work on my model......

Please bear with me.......

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well the new siding on the house is complete, but I am only halfway done, with the two deck reattachments...…….
AND my new box of Cobra FireWire initiators just arrived. Deployment testing soon..... :cool:

20200819_173605.jpg20200819_173612.jpg

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok ... Time to get back to this...……. I may be able to attempt my Cert in October.
I will try to work on Deployment testing this weekend !!!

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How much for that box of firewires?

Nytrunner,

I spent 68 dollars for a box of 80 initiators from Cobra !! https://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/
I like them I am looking forward to testing.

QtyProduct Name (Style/Model Number)Unit PriceDiscount Ea.Adjustment Ea.Price Ea.Total
1MJG Firewire Initiator - 3 ft (Box of 80) (INITIATOR-3FT) -
Connection_option_3ft: Wires (Standard)
$49.60$0.00$0.00$49.60$49.60

Sub-total:$49.60
Price Adjustments:$0.00
Order and Item Level Promotions:-$0.00
Payment Type Surcharge:$0.00
Shipping (USPS Parcel Select Hazardous Shipping (2 to 3+ week delivery time) Zone 6):$18.39
Sales Tax:$0.00
Grand Total:$67.99
Payments Received:$67.99
Due Balance:$0.00