Glasses-wearers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
GLASSES-WEARERS UP TO THREE TIMES LESS LIKELY TO CATCH CORONAVIRUS, STUDY SUGGESTS
‘Long term use of spectacles may prevent repeated touching and rubbing of the eyes,’ researchers say
22 Feb 2021

People who wear glasses could be up to three times less likely to be infected by coronavirus, a study from India has suggested.

One way the virus can enter the body is by people touching their eyes, nose or mouth after coming into contact with it.

However, researchers in India say people who wear glasses rub their eyes less and are therefore at less risk of contracting Covid-19.

In a non-peer reviewed study published on the website medRxiv, the researchers studied 304 people (223 male and 81 female) at a hospital in northern India over two weeks last summer. The patients were aged between 10 and 80 and had all reported Covid symptoms.

Of those, 19 per cent said they wore glasses most of the time.

The researchers found participants touched their face up to 23 times each hour on average and their eyes an average of three times per hour.

They found the risk of contracting Covid-19 was two to three times lower among those who wear glasses.

“Touching and rubbing of the eyes with contaminated hands may be a significant route of infection," the report said.

"Long term use of spectacles may prevent repeated touching and rubbing of the eyes."

Doctors have previously recommended that people who wear contact lenses switch to glasses to avoid potentially passing coronavirus from their hands to their eyes.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I still wear glasses AND a face shield and double mask while I am out (and I have completed my two vaccination shots.).

So far, so good.

Funkworks

Reaction score
I have become very skilled at pushing open public doors using my feet. Who knew those elementary school soccer skills would be useful one day.

hobie1dog

Reaction score
when particles are ejected from a person, the person across from them has a super effective sponge known as the clear coating on their eyes which is within an inch away from that highly talked about mask.... people in the medical field wear Shields because they know about this.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have become very skilled at pushing open public doors using my feet. Who knew those elementary school soccer skills would be useful one day.
Great, all we need now are people opening doors like they are Starsky and Hutch on a drug raid. Didn't the brilliant CDC declare a few months ago that handling objects was not a concern?

Last edited:

Sluggo

Reaction score
You better put some gloves on and wear a long sleeve shirt.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Awww... Dr. Fauci would be so proud.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You better put some gloves on and wear a long sleeve shirt.
I do sanitize my hands every time I get back into the car, as well as when I come in the door at home.

Maybe it’s overkill. But my wife and I (so far) are virus free in Tennessee. Tennessee has a lot of wonderful things going for it, but mask wear and social distancing have not been impressive and our per capita infection rates and death rates have been among the highest in the nation. The high death rates also are likely in part that we are near the center of the Cigarette Belt and Barbecue Restaurant Belt of the country, so our obesity, diabetes, and emphysema rates are also high.

91DD7D88-6F9A-41B1-BB62-C551452F71B5.gif

FEEDA37E-2839-4FFE-88A7-2C9EA867AF85.png

It’s a bit inconvenient and I probably look more than usually nerdy. But I figure it is Win! Win! Win!

I protect others, I protect myself, and in protecting myself I also protect my wife at home. For me, it’s worth the funny looks and the occasional fogged up mask and glasses.

Last edited:

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head with a sledge. Tailor your actions to the area where you live. Am in central Illinois in a rural area and one would think stubborn, independent rural people wouldn’t take scientific advice. Wrongo. I go out and everyone is wearing a mask when shopping. I think that’s impressive and I’m proud of folks.

Face shields? I see some people wearing face shields most of the time here without wearing a face mask. That is totally wrong as walk through a mist cloud someone just sneezed or coughed out and virions (virus particles outside of cells) can go right up behind the shield and into the wearers respiratory system directly if they don’t wear the additional line of defense of a good filtering mask. The face shield I believe protects better against a direct blast from someone’s cough or sneeze if one is in close proximity. The wearer still should wear a mask for possible mist that can get behind the face shield. Of course, the face shield would be superior for direct blast protection of the eyes as opposed to a mask alone.

Remember, whether or not one gets disease is dose dependent upon how many virions/virus particles one “ingests”.
Get a few and the body deals with it without you knowing about it (immune system). Have a butt load of virions get inside of one and they come down with the disease process. Anything that anyone does that limits the ability of the virus to “get inside” is helpful.

Gloves? If one is in a high incidence area like a large city, probably a good idea when out shopping. I don’t use them and just use an antibacterial/viral hand spray when I get back to my car from shopping. Also wash hands after I put away groceries in the fridge or pantry. My stuff is going to sit anyways for awhile before I use it so that in and of itself will allow any virions to ”die off” or be inactivated.

Me, I just do the mask and hand sanitizer as outlined above. I usually have my reading glasses on (full sized lenses) when sauntering through the stores to read prices. Just realized it has been 10 years since I had cataracts done and I was able to ditch the glasses I used for bad far-sightedness ($745.00 down the hole). If I break my $16.00 readers, no big deal. Go to Walmart and get another pair! (Although I have several pairs lying around in different diopter/strengths depending on the type of work I wan’t to do.)

Kurt

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, tight fitting mask (or even a regular surgical mask or three or more layer cloth mask) DEFINITELY far more important than face shield or glasses,

specifically agree a face shield is not appropriate WITHOUT a mask (or two!) Behind it.

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah,
If I was going out and noticed there were a bunch of coughing morons in the vicinity, I'd be getting a clear face shield.

If I want a break from a mask, I go to a 3.5 mile walking track at a park and go sans mask. In a rural area, hardly anyone out there and if I come upon anyone else (they're sans mask too) we just give each other a very wide berth.

Kurt

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah,
If I was going out and noticed there were a bunch of coughing morons in the vicinity, I'd be getting a clear face shield.

If I want a break from a mask, I go to a 3.5 mile walking track at a park and go sans mask. In a rural area, hardly anyone out there and if I come upon anyone else (they're sans mask too) we just give each other a very wide berth.

Kurt
Agreed. “Outdoors” has a different context in Manhattan (average street corner is more crowded than an Outback Restaurant waiting room Friday night at 6 p.m.) vs nature trails or even (in our area) residential streets. I take a Lucy for her walks without masks (me or her!) without a qualm. Wouldn’t do that downtown.

Latest posts