Glass jars?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but lately I've been finding myself saving different size glass jars to store the small rocket parts and building materials. They are great for a lot of things and since they are glass it allows you to see exactly what you have. I have one jar full of center rings for MPR and another for stirring sticks for epoxy and another for CA glue, which I keep in the frig to extend the life and keep it from going bad. Not sure how many of you have Costco's in your area, but they sell a 3 pack of peaches and the jars are large enough to put almost anything in? My other hobby when I have time is nitro RC SCT's and I was going to save coffee cans for soaking parts and I'm sure you can, but the lids are plastic don't last, but a glass jar works great! Just like the Midwest Aero gloss Sanding Sealer, which you can't get anymore. Those small jars are great for snap swivels and other small items. Save your jars :)

My father and grandfather stored lots of stuff in glass jars. I've been trying to replace all of them with plastic.

I don't know about the rest of you, but lately I've been finding myself saving different size glass jars to store the small rocket parts and building materials. They are great for a lot of things and since they are glass it allows you to see exactly what you have. I have one jar full of center rings for MPR and another for stirring sticks for epoxy and another for CA glue, which I keep in the frig to extend the life and keep it from going bad. Not sure how many of you have Costco's in your area, but they sell a 3 pack of peaches and the jars are large enough to put almost anything in? My other hobby when I have time is nitro RC SCT's and I was going to save coffee cans for soaking parts and I'm sure you can, but the lids are plastic don't last, but a glass jar works great! Just like the Midwest Aero gloss Sanding Sealer, which you can't get anymore. Those small jars are great for snap swivels and other small items. Save your jars :)
I use clear plastic vitamin bottles. They come in different sizes and with different colors of lids for different hardware.

I use any thing I can find. Glass jars, pill bottles, tupperware, baggies plastic cups. You get the idea. Something to hold something else and I need it now. JD Wentworth. I need it now.

Plastic isn't the best for our environment so I try to keep that in mind. Think of how much plastic this world has and we can't get rid of it all. Things were better 35 years ago when we used paper and glass products. People are very inconsiderate of our environment and this plastic ends up in our streams, rivers, lakes and oceans and harms the wildlife as well. I wish there was a place where there were no stupid people and it was un touched by man.

Last edited:
I repurposed one of those work bench top, nuts and screw, bin box shelf things.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...VQhbUAR3NXQNvEAQYASABEgJ-ZPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Use some white E tape and a sharpie to mark the bins.
This. I'm not that well organized, and I don't label the bins. It is nice that you can buy just the size of parts organizing cabinets that you want. However, I have a couple really cheap cabinets. From time to time you can buy cheap cabinets loaded with small cheap screws, and related hardware. Eventually they get reloaded with rocket parts.

Plastic isn't the best for our environment so I try to keep that in mind. Think of how much plastic this world has and we can't get rid of it all. Things were better 35 years ago when we used paper and glass products. People are very inconsiderate of our environment and this plastic ends up in our streams, rivers, lakes and oceans and harms the wildlife as well. I wish there was a place where there were no stupid people and it was untouched by man.
All good points. I remember the old days when the milk man would come to your door and deliver milk in glass jugs and pick up the empties to be reused. Similarly, You could buy a case of pop (24 bottles) in glass bottles and a wooden case for $1.40 plus deposit, and you would return the empties to the grocier for the deposit, and the bottles would be cleaned sterilized and refilled. Today, most of that product comes in single use plastic.

My city has had curbside recycling for many years. Initially, I had a convenient sized plastic bin with a lid, for recyclables. You put news papers flat on the bottom, cans in one paper bag, plastic in another, and glass in the third, all enclosed in the bin. The city would empty the bins weekly and even leave your paper bags. Then they changed the system, everything recyclable went into the bin unsorted, except glass, which went into ordinary land fill garbage. In the current system the city provides three huge bins with wheels and different colored tops, one for recycling, one for yard waste, and one for garbage. There is no convenient place to store these monster bins, at least not with a one car garage. The recycle bin only need to be emptied a couple times a year. I suspect the actual recycling is poorly done and most of it and just ends up in the landfill anyway.

Glass jars are good for storing random strews and hard items that you may want to reuse. I have a few old glass peanut butter jars with graduations molded into the glass, and with metal lids. Those are great for holding thinner and brush cleaner, and occasionally for mixing paint. These days it seems the only glass containers I get are from spaghetti sauce and salsa.

In my earlier days in the hobby I repurposed a lot of glass jars. But as my storage needs scaled up I found them to be heavy, breakable and space-inefficient, and it got hard to get enough of the same type. It was also hard to find ones small enough to sort small hardware. Lately, the wide majority of jars at the grocery store are plastic anyway.. Most of my small parts and hardware are in Akro-Mills storage drawer units. They last for decades - a couple of mine are 30+ years old, and you can get really nice laser-cut 3rd party acrylic dividers. Beware the knock-offs; the plastic is awful and you can't get the same design year over year. I've never thrown away an Akro-Mills unit.

The Container Store has a ton of useful storage widgets, including some really small glass containers, and modular drawer units with casters. Not the cheapest but they have some pretty unique products. They have a live store in SD which is a fun prowl every so often.

All good points. I remember the old days when the milk man would come to your door and deliver milk in glass jugs and pick up the empties to be reused. Similarly, You could buy a case of pop (24 bottles) in glass bottles and a wooden case for $1.40 plus deposit, and you would return the empties to the grocier for the deposit, and the bottles would be cleaned sterilized and refilled. Today, most of that product comes in single use plastic.

My city has had curbside recycling for many years. Initially, I had a convenient sized plastic bin with a lid, for recyclables. You put news papers flat on the bottom, cans in one paper bag, plastic in another, and glass in the third, all enclosed in the bin. The city would empty the bins weekly and even leave your paper bags. Then they changed the system, everything recyclable went into the bin unsorted, except glass, which went into ordinary land fill garbage. In the current system the city provides three huge bins with wheels and different colored tops, one for recycling, one for yard waste, and one for garbage. There is no convenient place to store these monster bins, at least not with a one car garage. The recycle bin only need to be emptied a couple times a year. I suspect the actual recycling is poorly done and most of it and just ends up in the landfill anyway.

Glass jars are good for storing random strews and hard items that you may want to reuse. I have a few old glass peanut butter jars with graduations molded into the glass, and with metal lids. Those are great for holding thinner and brush cleaner, and occasionally for mixing paint. These days it seems the only glass containers I get are from spaghetti sauce and salsa.
We have the same stupid trash system. Three large bins trash, grass and recycle. I remember using the paper bags I got from the grocery store to recover our school books. Things were so much better back then. No cell phones, no internet, no windows and pretty smart common sense people. Now that we have technology no one seems to care or think about our environment and their brain has got to Jello namely the kids of today's generation. Anyway guess off the grid is sounding better and better.

Peanut butter jars. Wife eats an apple spread with peanut butter for breakfast, most days. So we got a lot of jars. Transparent and unbreakable.

Crystal Light containers for me. After drinking it for decades and saving the jars, I must have hundreds. The wrappers slide right off, leaving no glue on the container.

1644945900348.jpg

They have snap-on lids, they’re mostly translucent, and stackable. I use them at the workbench for fasteners and such, and in the range bag for tools, ejection squibs, igniters, and spare odds & ends.

Film canisters are getting pretty rare these days. 25 years ago a buddy of mine who was the head photographer for a newspaper in Duluth, MN gave me a big box or 35mm film canisters, most of them kind of clear. I'm just about out of them.

I have probably 500-1000 of these.

Film canisters are getting pretty rare these days. 25 years ago a buddy of mine who was the head photographer for a newspaper in Duluth, MN gave me a big box or 35mm film canisters, most of them kind of clear. I'm just about out of them.
You can buy them by the bushel on ebay.

My father and grandfather stored lots of stuff in glass jars. I've been trying to replace all of them with plastic.
My mate Karl kept all his irreplacable plastic FIAT clips in assorted glass jars on a shelf in the garage for years. Unfortunately he decided one day he wanted rid of the possum living in his garage roof and gave it only 1 exit path through the shelf with the glass jars..........

For a dollar you get a box of 38 bags at the Dollar Tree
Bag's measure 3 1/2 x 5 7/8 inches
I use them for small screws and parts . An "D" engine will fit inside with no problem
and I think a "F" engine will fit to.

Bobby

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 0
Followup on peanut butter jars and the like for storage. I don't do this but some hobbyists will fasten jar lids to the underside of a shelf with a couple of screws. Makes use of otherwise-unused space. Once the jar is screwed back into its lid it's pretty hard to knock it over or spill it. If you really want to use those breakable glass jars for storage, this would reduce broken-glass hazard.

Back