Glad wrap makes good airframe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
check out my little piece of glad wrap tubing it flew well and acctually flew at apogee it was really nice flight apart from when the ejection striped out the parachute and it came back in 2 parts
hehehrehehehe
heres a pic
PIC PIC PIC
whether that works or not is beyond me

well it half worked just go to the album pics and find the glad wrap roll rocket by the way that pic of the guy holding yes thats me but it was a very bad hair day

Now Matt!
Your message header is a bit misleading. I was looking for a glad wrap see thru plastic wrap tube of some kind....Silly me:D Hey I'm an Odd-Roc'er we'll try just about anything? Very nice design from a wrap core tube anyway? Good work keep it up.

Glad wrap is a product name i think its like saran wrap/cling flim

matt flew it on a D12
there are good tubes as the have the same ID as a BT 60

matt

Are things so bad in NZ that you are reduced to building rockets out of kitchen trash? Do you need a care package of body tubes?

Actually, smart-a** comments aside, your rocket actually turned out looking pretty good! Were all the extra fins a 'style' thing or were they necessary because they were small? Was there anything in the outboard tubes or were they too just there for style?

Ah, reminds me of my younger days. I loved scarfing up all types of tubing, down to toilet paper rolls. Nice looking rocket!

Hey,

I use those tubes all the time. Certain brands are different sizes, some are exactly 38mm (great motor tubes). They would probably make good casting/liner tubes for EX motors but I have yet to try that because they are a bit too big for my budget (aka would use a lot of chemicals).

-Chris H.

Matt,
Gald tubes and paper towel roll tubes work good for scratch building along with other tubes I won't mention:D It seems funny....once your into rockets your always looking for tubes and things to build rockets out of. Attached is a photo of a scratch built two stage rocket I built out of a combination of regular rocket tubes and tubes I found. The top is an old Goblin tube the rest is scrounged up tubes. Flys great...Larry

I'll never forget the time my wife recieved a package in the mail...it was packaged in a BEAUTIFUL 3.25" sturdy mailing tube about 3 feet long.

I was looking at the tube longingly and she couldn't resist it any longer..."Honey, do you want me to open the package and give you the tube?"...."Yes, please."

The rest is history...it went on to become my level 1 Nike Smoke!

I love free tubes!

sandman

Right now I am in the process of makeing my first mail-tube rocket. I am going simple on the first one...just a single engine.

Still haven't decided on the number of fins yet...I was thinking 3 or 4...is it bad to do more than 4?

Luckily I have access to a copy room where there are tons of these tubes left over from rolls of printer paper. I want to try to get a skinnier tube for my next rocket so I can launch on a lower powered engine. After that I want to make a wide one so I can do a 3 or 4 engine cluster.

Back