Giving my Estes Amazon the military treatment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UfO

Reaction score
I picked up the Estes Tandem X Launch Set today as it seemed to be the cheapest way to get the necessary ground equipment.

The set comes with this super easy to assemble 33" rocket called the Amazon. It's easy to build but not so nice to look at. So I thought I'd do it up like a military rocket.

I'm thinking olive drab for the main body and fins...not sure about the nose cone though. Any thoughts?

Anyone know where I can find some military decals as well?

Thanks!
-Josh

Last edited:
what I would sugest is leave it black and add a white role pattern and pick up some black and white military test decals from any hobby shop that deals with static models.

A fellow Rhode Islander! :)

Thanks for the idea. I'm headed out to some hobby shops on my next day off.

best one for the decals in ri would be aa on jeferson bld. though he refuses to carry rockets. (caugh) to close to the airport) so he says. lol

best one for the decals in ri would be aa on jeferson bld. though he refuses to carry rockets. (caugh) to close to the airport) so he says. lol

I'll def check out his store. What's your favorite shop for rockets in RI or Southern Mass?

I only know a couple of shops and they only cater to my old R/C addiction!

If you search the threads here, there is one on how to make paper "decals." It was the one where JAL3 was rebuilding his Art Applewhite saucer.

Also, never throw anything away. I have some military style decals in a drawer of the rocket lab that are leftover from my kids aircraft models. Some models come with two or three sets of decals in case you want to make the US or UK or other variants. Save the one you don't use for future projects.

I try and do something like this with the Amazon...

I just need to add some fins and then it's all up to the paint job. :D

aim-120a-1.jpg

I try and do something like this with the Amazon...

I just need to add some fins and then it's all up to the paint job. :D
If the fins you plan to add are the ones half way up the body as seen on those missiles, be warned that this will severely affect the rocket's stability. You will need to add nose weight. After that, load it up with the largest type of motor the rocket can take and either swing test it or use your choice of software to calculate its CP. Do not try launching it until you have checked that it is stable!

If the fins you plan to add are the ones half way up the body as seen on those missiles, be warned that this will severely affect the rocket's stability. You will need to add nose weight. After that, load it up with the largest type of motor the rocket can take and either swing test it or use your choice of software to calculate its CP. Do not try launching it until you have checked that it is stable!

Will do. Any tips for nose weight with a plastic nose cone?

A common method is to drill a little hole and use buckshot or BB's for weight with a little epoxy to seal it all in. Be careful that the epoxy doesn't warm up the plastic NC too much. Some folk use a water bath to hold the NC in while the epoxy cures just to keep temps down.

definately go with the water bath, I ruined an ESTES Fat Boy nose cone when adding mass. the nose cone slowly warped -was able to save it with filler, but it took some time.

The amazon flys great just the way it is dont add the fins. and she looks like a sorta like a lil john anyway.

as for rocket shope in ri. michels in greenvill at the target / home depot plaza has them again. dont wast your time with apponaug hobbies. they have them but their prices are horrid for some. and their motor prices are nasty. and they wont order e motors for you at all. one of the guys their thinks their illeagle. stick to online mostly

Thanks for the tips!

I'm still going to try the wings and try and get it balanced. :p I love a project!

Back