Ginger Baker RIP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ginger Baker is credited with creating the drum solo in concerts. I only learned that from a post from Neil Peart over the weekend.

Think I recall a number of bands in the sixties letting the drummer have the spotlight.

He doesn't want to credit Iron Butterfly's Ron Bushy...w/ In A Gadda Da Vida …. LOL ?
...at 6:31 here:

..or this one, Rare Earth at at 17:11 :

The "kid " came in in 1969 , at 2:37 :

Then of course there was that Buddy Rich guy...I'm pretty sure his band had to give him ample air time.

Last edited:
Fresh Cream, with that Toad solo, came out in 1966 so he beat all of your examples Max. Probably not too much of a stretch to think he was going for a Buddy Rich/jazz vibe.

Small digression, one of my favorite scenes from That Thing You Do:

Fresh Cream, with that Toad solo, came out in 1966 so he beat all of your examples Max. Probably not too much of a stretch to think he was going for a Buddy Rich/jazz vibe.Small digression, one of my favorite scenes from That Thing You Do:

1966 ….? That early?
Well...the sixties are kind of a blur to me...don't ask. ;)

Ginger Baker is credited with creating the drum solo in concerts. I only learned that from a post from Neil Peart over the weekend.
Actually I think GB is credited with the first recorded drum solo on an album. Great drummer but kind of a d**k. I am sure he and Jack Bruce are throwing a few punches where ever they are now.

Actually I think GB is credited with the first recorded drum solo on an album. Great drummer but kind of a d**k. I am sure he and Jack Bruce are throwing a few punches where ever they are now.
Could be. The quote I read is:

"He was really at the forefront of a complete revolution of rock. It is hard to find fault with the notion he was the pioneer of a rock drummer. There was no context for him, there was no archetype. He is the archetype.

Ginger Baker's most notable achievement that should be recognized is the first rock drum solo.

And me as a 15 year old kid at the time was 'yeah, yeah, that's the rock drummer I want to be!'"
- Neil Peart

So maybe I assumed he meant in concert. My bad. You know what they say about making assumptions... it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "mptions".

Last edited:
The biggest issue with Cream was that they seemed to hate each other. Ginger Baker really had it in for Jack Bruce. Ginger said that he played too loud. Roger Daltrey had the same complaint about John Entwhistle. Of course Roger is a reasonable guy and pretty much deaf, so I tend to believe his complaint. I guess bass players don't tend to feel the love much. It seemed like everybody was always telling me to turn it up or down (usually up). Maybe we're all just deaf (me, mostly) or have no ear for music. Maybe that's why we play bass.

Jim

The biggest issue with Cream was that they seemed to hate each other. Ginger Baker really had it in for Jack Bruce. Ginger said that he played too loud. Roger Daltrey had the same complaint about John Entwhistle. Of course Roger is a reasonable guy and pretty much deaf, so I tend to believe his complaint. I guess bass players don't tend to feel the love much. It seemed like everybody was always telling me to turn it up or down (usually up). Maybe we're all just deaf (me, mostly) or have no ear for music. Maybe that's why we play bass.

Jim
John Entwistle did not like to be called a "bassist." He insisted on being called a "bass guitarist." He said the difference was that a bassist plays a root note and keeps the beat, whereas a bass guitarist creates a counter melody, modifies the chord, etc.

Jim
I know Hutch use to play the bass pretty loud, but I guess they adjusted when Ronnie joined the band.

Interesting factoid about Ginger, he was a competitive bicyclist in his younger days. That athleticism apparently carried over into his musical ability.

Might have been the first ROCK solo, but the big band and jazz guys were doing it decades before. Gene Krupa, Max Roach, Ed Shaughnessy (playing double bass), and, of course, Buddy Rich, just name a few.

Oakland Coliseum, October 4, 1968 Cream concert....after 2 hours of ear-splitting ecstasy and after the 3rd encore, Ginger executed his signature end of concert drumstick maneuver. Smashing both sticks, somewhere, somehow on his kit, they flip end over end high into the crowd. My buddy and I are sitting well back on the floor of the arena but the sticks keep coming and, lo and behold, they flip end over end down right toward us. Seemingly half the arena leap into the air to secure one of these priceless memories of this epic event. Miraculously (I was pretty athletic in my younger days), I get a hold of one - but so do a bunch of other folks. For a second, I thought I had it to myself but sadly it is ripped rather painfully away.

I always worried that Ginger would end up dying an early death like so many other other rock icons - he usually looked like hell and death warmed over but he ended up living as long as any one has the right to expect and gave us all some beautiful memories. Sadly, his frenemy Jack Bruce went first. We still have Eric though.

Cream was amazing and really too complex to last long. Thanks for that time though.

Oakland Coliseum, October 4, 1968 Cream concert....after 2 hours of ear-splitting ecstasy and after the 3rd encore, Ginger executed his signature end of concert drumstick maneuver. Smashing both sticks, somewhere, somehow on his kit, they flip end over end high into the crowd. My buddy and I are sitting well back on the floor of the arena but the sticks keep coming and, lo and behold, they flip end over end down right toward us. Seemingly half the arena leap into the air to secure one of these priceless memories of this epic event. Miraculously (I was pretty athletic in my younger days), I get a hold of one - but so do a bunch of other folks. For a second, I thought I had it to myself but sadly it is ripped rather painfully away.

I always worried that Ginger would end up dying an early death like so many other other rock icons - he usually looked like hell and death warmed over but he ended up living as long as any one has the right to expect and gave us all some beautiful memories. Sadly, his frenemy Jack Bruce went first. We still have Eric though.

Cream was amazing and really too complex to last long. Thanks for that time though.
Incredible you were there! My favorite band of all time. I'd give up a big chunk of change to have been there. Thank goodness for Eric Clapton, arguably the best guitar player there ever was.
Thanks for sharing such a great story.

Might have been the first ROCK solo, but the big band and jazz guys were doing it decades before. Gene Krupa, Max Roach, Ed Shaughnessy (playing double bass), and, of course, Buddy Rich, just name a few.

At one point, Ginger claimed that Cream wasn't a rock band, but a *jazz* band.

Incredible you were there! My favorite band of all time. I'd give up a big chunk of change to have been there. Thank goodness for Eric Clapton, arguably the best guitar player there ever was.
Thanks for sharing such a great story.

Yes he is a great guitarist, but I can think of a few more, but I would also say Jimmy Page would also rank in there as well. So many great musicians, so hard to just pick one as the best because I feel they were / are all great in their own right.

Back