Giant Leap Rocketry - Talon Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I'm now L1 & L2 certified. I went to TORC Fest #2 and met many nice people. Mark Lose and Chris Pearson helped A LOT!

Just before the pre-flight L2 tech. inspection
DSC_5233_1000_A.jpg

DSC_5246_1000_A.jpg

DSC_5247_1000_A.jpg

DSC_5248_1000_A.jpg

DSC_5249_1000_A.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Talon 3

Not yet flownDSCN1775.jpg

here is a older pic of my three talons

talon2 talon3 talon4
talons 2 3 and 4.jpg

Talon4 on a LOKI L1400
talon 4 hutto.jpgtalon 4 hutto 2.jpg

Welcome to the Giant Leap Talon Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Giant Leap Talons and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Giant Leap: Talon 2:
Giant Leap: Talon 3:
Giant Leap: Talon 4:
Giant Leap: Talon 6:
Wildman: Eagle Claw Mini:
Wildman: Eagle Claw 4:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Giant Leap Talon 2 Basic Information.

giant_leap.gif
Gian Leap Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Talon 2 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Kent Burnett

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 48"
Diameter: 2.1"
Span:
Weight: 30 oz

Mfg. Description: By Kent Burnett, the Original designer of the Talon series!!

The Talon 2 is the affordable, easy-to-fly version in this beautiful series. It’s a stunning rocket that commands attention. The Talons have been rightfully called the Sexiest Kits Alive. This dazzling beauty will make heads spin!

This a high-end kit at a very low price. At Giant Leap, we don't scrimp on quality. Now think back, did your last kit have these features?

Features:
About 4 feet long!
6 fins are .062 high-temp G-10
Features a plastic nosecone and boattail that is pre-slotted for fins
Nylon shock cord
Kevlar™ shock cord sleeve protector
Kevlar™ chute protector
Acme rail guides
Preslotted phenolic airframe
30” chute
Large type bold vinyl decal
Detailed instructions
All hardware is included (Quiklinks and Eyebolts, etc.) (Giant Leap 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

giant%20leap-talon%202-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Giant Leap Talon 3 Basic Information.

giant_leap.gif
Gian Leap Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Talon 3 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length: 73"
Diameter: 3"
Span:
Weight: 4.5 lbs

Mfg. Description: By Kent Burnett, the Original designer of the Talon series!!

The Talon 3 is a beautiful rocket that commands attention. The Talons have been rightfully called the Sexiest Kits Alive. Over 6 feet long, this dazzling beauty will make heads spin!

At Giant Leap, we don't scrimp on quality. In fact this stunning kit even comes with a specially produced video to help you build it! This a a high-end kit at a moderate price. Now think back, did your last 3" kit have these features?

Features:
Dual Deployment! (or single if you prefer)
6 fins are .093 high-temp G-10
Pinnacle plastic nosecone
Boattail that is pre-slotted for fins
Machined to accept the included Slimline Motor Retainer
Avionics bay
Pre-sewn shock cords
Kevlar™ chute protectors & sleeves
Acme rail guides
Easyglas sock for phenolic airframe
Decal
Detailed instructions
Slimline Retainer.
All hardware included (Quiklinks, Eyebolts, Allthreads, etc.)
(Giant Leap 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

giant%20leap-talon%203-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Giant Leap Talon 4 Basic Information.

giant_leap.gif
Gian Leap Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Talon 4 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length: 92"
Diameter: 3.9"
Span:
Weight: 6.75 lbs

Mfg. Description: By the Original designer of the Talon series!!

The incredible Talon 4 is a stylish rocket that commands attention. Called the Sexiest Kit Alive, with good reason. This kit is the best of the best. At Giant Leap, there are no half measures. In fact this gorgeous kit even comes with a specially produced video to help you build it! Nearly 8 feet long, this stunning beauty will make heads spin!

Now think back, did your last kit have these features?

Features:
Dual Deployment! (or single if you prefer)
Six fins are .093" high temperature G-10 for extra strength
Pinnacle plastic nosecone
Boattail that is pre-slotted for fins
Machined to accept the included Slimline Motor Retainer
Avionics bay
Pre-sewn shock cords
Kevlar chute protectors & sleeves
Acme rail guides
Easyglas sock for phenolic airframe
Decal
Detailed instructions
Slimline Retainer
Hardware included (Quiklinks, Eyebolts, Allthreads, etc.) (Giant Leap 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

giant%20leap-talon%204-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Giant Leap Talon 6 Basic Information.

giant_leap.gif
Gian Leap Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Talon 6 Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:

Motor Mount: 1x75mm
Length: 124"
Diameter:
Span:
Weight: 25 lbs

Mfg. Description: The Flagship of the TalonLine. Talon 6 is a high-end, limited production kit, from the original designers of the Talon.

Once in a while a kit line comes along that sets a new standard, like with the Talon series of rockets. The Talon 6 is the flagship of that series. It is absolutely uncompromising in quality and features. You won't find a higher quality, more complete kit anywhere. The Talon 6 is sophisticated in engineering and it's a dream to build. The Talon 6 is the top choice among Level-3 fliers because its drop-dead gorgeous and because it's engineered to the cutting edge of rocketry. We're serious about motor retention at Giant Leap and we're serious about instructions too.

CPU-Time

Any manufacturer can get a tube, a nosecone and some fins, and call it a "rocket". But at Giant Leap, we put serious thought into our products and our kits. In fact, we call it "CPU-time" - - a computer term that refers to the actual time spent by the main central processing unit (CPU) in processing a problem. It's that pure, undistracted, time when you think hard about something. The Talon 6 is the product of serious CPU-time. Indeed, the detailed instructions and photos are 34 pages long! Our goal was to make the best looking, best engineered kit in rocketry....period. So when you walk onto the field with the huge Talon 6 slung over your shoulder, everybody knows you have the best. The Talon 6 is loaded with features.

Advanced Features

Nosecone and tailcone are hand made with a smooth surface coat that requires very little seam line finishing on your part, made from epoxy based fiberglass, not polyester, the cheap stuff. Polyester is carcinogenic, stinks, and is structurally weaker than epoxy. When you purchase fiberglass products, be sure they are epoxy. Speaking of epoxy, we use Aeropoxy, the leading resin in the homebuilt aircraft industry.
Fins are made of 1/4" composite honeycomb with glass sandwich. The fin edges are pre-finished.
All rings and bulkheads are made of 1/2" 9-ply birch.
Avionics Bay that is 21" long and features a mounting board that slides in and out on dado slots.
Shock Cords are tubular Kevlar™ and include the Fireball to resist zippering.
Recovery system also features our redundant anchoring system so that in the unlikely event that one attachment point fails, there's a back up anchor.
Attachment hardware is a combination of beefy U-bolts, quik-links, and Kevlar straps.
75mm threaded Slimline made from 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum.
Motortube is 75mm and is 48" long. We're serious about instructions too.
Instruction booklet is 34 pages long and has lots of step-by-step photos
High quality vinyl decal about 2 feet long, adds a final touch of beauty to this stunning bird.

Configuration
Our goal was to maximize the probability of a great flight and for a successful level-3 certification. So the Talon 6 uses electronic recovery, but is configured for single deployment. The upper section and booster separate at apogee and come down separately on their own chutes (sold separately). This avoids the complication of dual deployment, and reduces the chances of tangled lines and part-collision damage. Hey, big rockets are expensive and we want to be sure you get yours back safely.

Specifications
Length: 124" Diameter 6" I.D.
Dry Weight: 25 LBS (glass version approx.).
Loaded Weight: (motor, recovery, etc) 42 LBS approx
Motortube: 75mm X 48"
Fins: 3 upper fins, 3 lower fins finished edges. 1/4" composite material
Nosecone: 5-to-1 Ogive. Epoxy-based figerglass
Tailcone: Epoxy-based fiberglass, preslotted for lower fins
Recovery System: Booster: 1/2" Tubular Kevlar™ Upper Section: 1/4" tubular Kevlar with Custom Fireball
Bulkheads and Rings: 1/2" thick 9-ply Russian Birch
Motor Retention: 75mm Threaded Slimline
Delrin Rail Buttons: (attached through to bulkheads) fit most rails (heavy duty rail recommended). (Giant Leap 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

giant%20leap-talon%206-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Is Skunkworks another manufacturer?
Skunkworks has a new name; Polecat Aerospace, whatsuphobbies.com
I'm not sure when the change came about but they are nice kits and
the body tubes are glassed and also have fiberglass nose cones/tails.

JP

Skunkworks has a new name; Polecat Aerospace, whatsuphobbies.com
I'm not sure when the change came about but they are nice kits and
the body tubes are glassed and also have fiberglass nose cones/tails.

JP

I know Polecat.

So this is a Polecat verstion of the GL rocket?

No its a genuine Talon 4. I named it SKUNKWORKS after the Lockhead Martin specialty Aircraft program.TALON 4.jpg

Hi! This is my Talon 2 clone, the result of a PML gift certificate or two and lots of PML stuff in our stockpile. I laser-cut the fins in our shop to Talon specs; used a PML nosecone for the boattail, PML tubing and piston-system ejection, and re-used the payload bay and PML nosecone from a previous rocket.
Talon1.jpg
Talon2.jpg On Chute, First flight: G80T
Talon 2 (1).jpg H226 Skid, 2nd flight
Talon3.jpg
Talon4.jpg G75M, a favorite.

I have many more, but stupid TRF won't accept my .jpegs.

I flew it ~10 times without incident. Then, a very poorly set delay on a G138T (user error) caused the tailcone to break off. Some clever repair work later, and it became mysteriously unstable-two very marginal flights, and I had some damage on the front end. The sims in OR and Rocksim both showed >1.5cal stability for both flights, but it just goes to show how screwy tailcones can be I guess. A new front end (also salvaged from a different rocket), fresh paint, and it's back in business.

Welcome to the Wildman Eagle Claw gallery, the place to show off your Eagle Claws*.

Particularly appropriate for the gallery is the the Wildman Eagle Claw and the Mini Eagle Claw; as well as upscales, downscales, and other derivative works... even goonies qualify!

Mini Eagle Claw
View attachment 141192
Image from Wildman Rocketry's website
Details on this kit can be found here

Eagle Claw
eagleclaw.png

*If the mods feel it would be best to merge this gallery with the Giant Leap Talon gallery I have no problem with it. I just wasn't sure it was a good idea since it is technically a different kit.

========

This header was constructed by a member. It is being left "as is" and the correct Gallery headers are being added to the thread.

PS Nice Job on the formatting!

This is my Mini Eagle Claw dubbed Arreaux 2 (for no other reason then I had an extra set of Aerotech Arreaux decals lying about... And I do like the Arreaux a lot). I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The paint isn't overall isn't that great, but from a distance it looks pretty good.

image-3664917105.jpg

Welcome to the Wildman Eagle Claw gallery, the place to show off your Eagle Claws*.

Particularly appropriate for the gallery is the the Wildman Eagle Claw and the Mini Eagle Claw; as well as upscales, downscales, and other derivative works... even goonies qualify!

*If the mods feel it would be best to merge this gallery with the Giant Leap Talon gallery I have no problem with it. I just wasn't sure it was a good idea since it is technically a different kit.

We are out of my area of expertise. Is the Eagle Claw a derrivative of the Talon?

Mini Eagle Claw
View attachment 141192

Eagle Claw
View attachment 141193

I thought this was a FAMILY site... naked rockets... oh the humanities...

LOL :wink:

Wildman Eagle Claw Mini Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Eagle Claw Mini Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Who says smaller isn't better? The Wildman continues to the tradition of taking a killer kit, and building it better by building it smaller! This stylish new kit is ready and waiting for you. The kit includes:

38mm thin-wall fiberglass tube
5.5:1 von Karmen cast urethane nosecone
Kevlar™
Nylon parachute (Wildman 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-eagle%20claw%20mini-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

wildman-eagle%20claw%20mini-instr.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Wildman Eagle Claw 4 Basic Information.

wildman.gif
Wildman Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Eagle Claw 4Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x54mm
Length:
Diameter: 4"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Wildman Rocketry introduces the Eagle Claw 4! The Eagle Claw 4 features:

4" 5 to 1 Ogive Fiberglass Nose Cone
4 inch Fiberglass Nose Cone Bulk Plate
G10 Fiberglass Airframe 4" by 24"
G10 Fiberglass Airframe 4" by 42"
G10 Fiberglass 4" Coupler
G10 Fiberglass Coupler Bulk Plates
G10 Fiberglass Airframe Bulk Plates
.125 G10 Fiberglass CNC Cut Fins
G10 Fiberglass 36" 54mm Motor Mount Tube
Aircraft Grade Plywood Centering Rings
Fiberglass Boattail (Wildman 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

wildman-eagle%20claw%204-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

wildman-eagle%20claw%204-instr.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here you go: my Eagle Claw 4".

Note it has been modified to handle in a stock length very long hybrid contrail casings like the K 48"/54mm. Saying that I pushed the ebay forward one third of the upper airframe and I used an additional coupler to join booster and payload airframe. Works like hell :))

K1.jpgK2.jpg

Back