Gheetah

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo

Reaction score
alright so i've taken about a year and a half break from rockets and i was looking to get back into it. i have built a few skill level 3 and 4 estes rocket moters, so i was looking to get a cheetah rocket kit and wanted some info on it. is $50 a good price for it. and basically i want to know some more info on mid power rocketry, like what kind of launch pad and controller i'll need to launch this rocket. i would also like to know some other impotant mid power rocketry things so i dont do something really retarted like i did my last launch a year and a half ago.

thanks in advance:)

I've heard the Cheetah is a good rocket but it goes pretty high. 50 bucks might be a little steep, try searching online for it. I would start out with something like an Aerotech Initiator. It doesn't go that high but is impressive on G motors. It may actually be a little cheaper than the Cheetah. Also I recommend getting a 29/40-120 motor case for your MPR activities but it is not something you have to have.

Blue

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I've heard the Cheetah is a good rocket but it goes pretty high. 50 bucks might be a little steep, try searching online for it. I would start out with something like an Aerotech Initiator. It doesn't go that high but is impressive on G motors. It may actually be a little cheaper than the Cheetah. Also I recommend getting a 29/40-120 motor case for your MPR activities but it is not something you have to have.

Blue

I agree , the Aerotech Initiator is one of the best kits you can get when beginning MPR rocketry!
-Karl

If you want a cheaper kit that requires some actual building (nothing against AeroTech kits but they are comparable to Estes E2X series as far as the construction goes) you may want to go the LOC/Precision route like gerbs mentioned. They also have a wider variety of kits to choose from. LOC/Precision
Some of the best prices for these kits can be found at Great Lakes Hobbies

I have flown my Initiator so many times, I have lost count!
It just keeps on performing and keeps on coming back!
I call it my Prodical Rocket!!!!!!
Here is a reduced pic from a year ago at the
December Buder Park model launch.
On a G80, with a moderate wind, that little yellow
AT parachute carried the Initiator far beyond the
tall building in the backlround!
Featured are 4 of our regular active frozen members:
From left to right: Dr Don, Jeff, Bruce, and John
I cannot seem to recall who took the picture.............

Wow ! Thats quite a fair distance !! Those G80's realy kick the rocket up there!
-Karl

Originally posted by Dr. Don
I have flown my Initiator so many times, I have lost count!
It just keeps on performing and keeps on coming back!
I call it my Prodical Rocket!!!!!!
Here is a reduced pic from a year ago at the
December Buder Park model launch.
On a G80, with a moderate wind, that little yellow
AT parachute carried the Initiator far beyond the
tall building in the backlround!
Featured are 4 of our regular active frozen members:
From left to right: Dr Don, Jeff, Bruce, and John
I cannot seem to recall who took the picture.............

Nice looking Initiator. ;)

Yup, my current Initiator is just like the Energizer Bunny! :D

i ordered my cheetah (it will arrive tomorrow) before i found this website...

i probably would have ordered an initiator instead

Originally posted by RocketboyG80
they are comparable to Estes E2X series as far as the construction goes.

They are a little more challenging then the Estes E2X series... especially with the snap ring assembly.

Unlike the E2X series.... Aerotech kits last and take a beating. I had Aerotech kits that flown so many times that I lost count... and that was over a series of years. E2X kits might last a couple trips to the field.

I love LOC kits myself. The LCO at one launch I went to said that I must love them just by the shere number of LOC kits I bring to the pad. They said the same thing about my Aerotech collection too ;-). I used to have almost ever one of their rockets.

Originally posted by Elapid
i ordered my cheetah (it will arrive tomorrow) before i found this website...

i probably would have ordered an initiator instead

There's nothing wrong with buying & flying a Cheetah. :)

The Cheetah is almost as 'special' to me as the Initiator.

If you follow the instructions for the Cheetah and build it light, you can even fly it on D12s.

For around $50, you can get an LOC Graduator.
It's got a 29 mm motor mount and a pre-slotted airframe.
I've been flying mine on F engines, but gave 'er a big ride over the weekend on a G40. I've found it an excellent first mid-power choice: a great flyer and tough as nails.
My 2 cents worth.

My Cheetah is a trustworthy friend. I fly it on a small field on F's (F22 BlackJack is a thing of beauty).

On the big range, I've let it rip on a G80. This combination calls for a reefed chute, big spill hole, or a streamer. It is so small that you easily lose sight of it.

I have an Initiator and a Cheeta. I have a LOC Lil' Nuke as well. I love them all.
Aerotech is more expensive. It's an easier build, and quite honestly, is more technologically advanced. Motors fit better, you don't have to use wadding and you you have the locking fins that make landing issues easier to fix if you don't totally CATO the thing.
LOC's are cheaper and a more challanging build. It's more basic. You need to use some sort of wadding or a kevlar blanket. Fins attach right to the body. I have to friction fit engines.

So really the question is what do you want. If you're thinking between the Initiator and the Cheeta, both are excellent. I've had at least 20 flights off my Initiator from a F 20 to a G- 80. My last flight was a reload where the ejection charge failed. It came through with minor scratches. I've only flown the Cheetah about 5 times. But I've got it over 3K feet a few times. Again, it depends on what you want.

If you want a simple kit to build, but are willing to spend a little more, go with AT
but if you don't want to spend that much go with LOC

Back