Getting to Know Egg Finder GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, this isn't just an Eggfinder thing... any GPS patch antenna that's tape-bonded to a PC board or GPS module shield is susceptible to this. (And that's the vast majority of them.) If you're using another GPS tracker take a look at the antenna... if you only see one solder joint on the bottom of the board or module underneath it, you might want to ask the manufacturer about it.

I would think Epoxy would be enough. If it took a hit that strong, heat shrink wouldn’t save anything as the board would likely break. If the Lithium battery gets ruptured, could get incinerated too so nothing left. Don’t ask me how I know that!:eek: Kurt Savegnago

I would think Epoxy would be enough. If it took a hit that strong, heat shrink wouldn’t save anything as the board would likely break. If the Lithium battery gets ruptured, could get incinerated too so nothing left. Don’t ask me how I know that!:eek: Kurt Savegnago
I meant the other way. Cris supplies heat shrink tubing in the Mini kits. Is it sufficient?

The heat shrink in the Mini is not meant to be protection for the GPS module, it's to protect the solder joints on the side of the board.

Thanks for the info. I didn't understand that.
Yeah, best to lay a line of approved epoxy on one side of the GPS for security but keep in mind, with a lawn dart it’s likely going to be “kiss it goodbye”. That said, better to lose a $50 to $75 tracker than a $280.00 one!
Been there and done that with both price ranges. Hurts the pocketbook! :( Kurt Savegnago

Here is an update on the GPS module rework. Using a hot air rework station I carefully heated up the PCB. Then I flipped the board and heated the module until the solder reflowed. The module slid off easily without damaging any of the pads. I noticed the 4- terminal device next to the GPS module had bent leads. Sure enough two of its terminals were broken too.

Cris, any chance I can buy replacements?

Attachments

• A1178B7F-2515-4059-84A1-3CB5FC907A9B.jpeg
    A1178B7F-2515-4059-84A1-3CB5FC907A9B.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 32
Here is an update on the GPS module rework. Using a hot air rework station I carefully heated up the PCB. Then I flipped the board and heated the module until the solder reflowed. The module slid off easily without damaging any of the pads. I noticed the 4- terminal device next to the GPS module had bent leads. Sure enough two of its terminals were broken too.

Cris, any chance I can buy replacements?
Hot air is a great tool. :)

If I remember right, that is the rectifier. If it is, I usually omit it and complete the circuit with jumpers. You will not have polarity protection but you should be able to operate it on just a 1s lipo. I'm sure Cris will chime in when he see's this.

Back