Getting the new icon onto Android home screen?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Hi Angie and folks,

Loving the new forum. Great work!

For some reason I'm having trouble with this.

I've got a reasonably late model phone running Android Pie. My browser is Chrome, nothing funky.

How do I get the new icon onto my home screen? What are the steps? I saw it once and tapped it, bit nothing showed up on my home screen. Seems like the site sometimes takes over the usual chrome tab controls; maybe I missing something there.

Any step by step help appreciated! TIA

Marc

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
That’s a good question. Yesterday the new icon showed up on my phone and today it’s back to the previous icon.

Marc_G

Reaction score
So check this out. If I open other web pages, Add to Home Screen is a Chrome option under "find in page" and above "open desktop site. See this other random page:

Screenshot_20200423-085028.jpg

But if you look at the menu I posted when I bring this screen up while at the TRF site, the option to add to home is not there.

Help!

Marc_G

Reaction score
One more observation then it is back to work for me:

We get in the Chrome menu where I would expect the "add to desktop option" to be, an option Open The Rocketry Forum. If I tap that, it gives me a full page picture of the logo, but no controls to do anything with it. Long press does nothing.

Screenshot_20200423-090245.jpg

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From the main TRF forum page, I did get the 'Add to Home Screen' icon in the drop down menu (Chrome on Android). Clicking that left me in the same situation as you - the 'add to home screen' is now replaced with 'Open Desktop Site'. Clicking the open desktop site brings up the rocket image you shared in post #6, then a moment later loads the forum as if it's a separate app. Chrome controls are not available in that mode.

It's as if 'add to home screen' is adding the TRF page to the Chrome home screen, not the Android launcher home.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the stock Pixel launcher, so it's not Nova...

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
What I did for android, mobile Chrome.
I went to Chrome app, and typed in https://www.rocketeryforum.com and the site came up.
I received a noticed at bottom of screen asking if a wanted to save, so I did save to Home page on my phone.
It came up with the new icon and has stayed the new icon.
Now if I click on it, it goes through the blue screen with new rocket icon, then proceeds to main index of forums page.

That's it.

On Chrome, there are three dots in the upper right that will give you the drop down menu, and Save to Home Page, will do the same thing.

I had the old icon on my phone before the upgrade, but deleted it and added this icon.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
From the main TRF forum page, I did get the 'Add to Home Screen' icon in the drop down menu (Chrome on Android). Clicking that left me in the same situation as you - the 'add to home screen' is now replaced with 'Open Desktop Site'. Clicking the open desktop site brings up the rocket image you shared in post #6, then a moment later loads the forum as if it's a separate app. Chrome controls are not available in that mode.

It's as if 'add to home screen' is adding the TRF page to the Chrome home screen, not the Android launcher home.
It does appear to be in Chrome, as when I click on the Chrome icon I will get the pages I have open including the recent TRF page.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. That behavior doesn't match what I'm seeing on this end. No icon is created on the launcher, and if I click 'Open The Rocketry Forum' from the Chrome drop down menu (that link is only available when already on TRF's page) a new window is spawned with TRF running full screen. It is separate from the existing Chrome app with its own tabs. This one presents within Android as its own app (I can app switch between Chrome, TRF, and any other running Android apps).

Last edited:

Marc_G

Reaction score
Something interesting let me try to articulate it. Sometimes the site comes up looking like a normal Chrome tab page with chrome controls (address bar and three dots menu upper right):
Screenshot_20200423-120419.jpg
In this mode I can bring up the Chrome menu but add to home screen is replaced with Open The Rocketry Forum.

Screenshot_20200423-120619.jpg
But sometimes I get version of TRF that has no chrome controls visible/accessible. It's all TRF top to bottom. No three dots or address bar. Hang on, I will try to get a picture.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Ok here it is. No controls/address bar. I got here by tapping the Open The Rocketry Forum in Chrome's menu.

Screenshot_20200423-121031.jpg

It's like an unframed version of the site or something. No access to controls or other tabs.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - that's what I was attempting to verbalize earlier. Opening it from the drop down menu creates a separate full screen TRF version that Android presents as if it were a separate app from the Chrome browser.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
If I open from the icon on the Home Screen, I get the full forum without Chrome controls, too. This way is just TRF.

BUT, if I go to the Chrome icon and open it, I get the chrome controls at the top.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Right, but you're experiencing a totally different outcome from Marc and I. Neither of us are able to generate the home screen icon in the first place.

What you're getting by using the home screen icon is what we access from the Chrome drop down menu and clicking 'Open The Rocketry Forum'. That option becomes available after trying to generate a home screen icon.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
If you don't have the icon already on Home Screen it will ask to put one on. If on, it just takes you there.

Does this cause a problem? Since you can do it either way?

Marc_G

Reaction score
If you don't have the icon already on Home Screen it will ask to put one on. If on, it just takes you there.

Does this cause a problem? Since you can do it either way?
But it doesn't ask any more, and when it did, it didn't create the icon on our launcher.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Angie - You cannot create the icon on the home screen for either of our devices. I don't know what the similarity is - Marc and I are using different launchers but Chrome just like you are.

Using the Chrome browser to add the site to the home screen does not do so. The only thing it does is change the 'Add to Home Screen' option in TRF to 'Open The Rocketry Forum'. At that point, the 'Open the...' link opens TRF in a separate window like you get from your home screen icon.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Delete the icon on your home screen and try again and see what happens.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have no home screen icon to delete. I don't know how else to explain that...

Marc_G

Reaction score
Right. Angie, it thinks it added it to the home screen, but it really didn't. And there seems no intuitive way to undo that perception that it added it to the home screen, even clearing site data doesn't revert that option from Open The Rocketry Forum back to "Add to Home Screen".

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That's it! Way to go, Marc! Just found mine there. Good find.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score