Getting the fins to move above Mach

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BsSmith

Reaction score
One of the best parts about rocketry is that you can do something fun and then do something with that fun thing. So whats would be better than building a stabilization system for a rocket, and making a science fair project off of it? :cool:

But first... i have to see if my idea is even feasible before I can get all excited about it. Here's my ideas...

-Build a stabilization system using an RC Helecopter gyro
-Put that system in a high performance rocket that can go above Mach and a mile or two (With my power limitations, that would be a 54mm body tube powered by an I540 or I600)
-Set up some experiment involving the rotational characteristics of the front fins and how high/fast the rocket goes or something better that I haven't thought of yet
-Use a Parrot for graphing the flight pattern and to bring the rocket down within walking distance.

A few issues though...
1- HOW DO I BUILD A STABILIZATION SYSTEM!?
2- With the rocket going above Mach, all the servos would probably be too weak to move the fins or too big to fit into a 54mm body tube, is there anything that I can do about this or should I use a bigger tube?
3- Am I crazy? :)

Back