Getting started...again :-)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69charger

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting back into HPR after a 10+ years. I am looking to certify again in the spring. Is it still possible to do L1 and L2 on the same day?

Thanks,

Tom
TRA#3593

Possible, but not recommended. The NAR and TRA prefer that they get to process the L1 paperwork before you do your L2 cert flight.

Yes, it is allowed. If it is a good idea depends on how experienced a high power flier you were. If you were just L1 and had just a few flights, then just do that and enjoy the whole process. If you are an experienced flier and just let your certs expire, then build an L2 class bird that you can fly with an high end I and a low end J and go for it.

Thanks guys. I was L2 and let my membership expire. ATF was making it a pain to fly at the time and I just chose to pursue other interests.

Where ever you fly it would be a good idea to contact the prefect to make sure all the needed paperwork is brought the day you wish to fly.

Good luck! Study up for your test. LOL

I think we had a youngster do all 3 level in one weekend last year. It didn't hurt that he has been doing rocketry longer than some adults(like me) and he is in his second year at MIT. I think Troj can say for sure if he got all 3. none the less the kid is bright!
If you have the knowhow I would give it a shot!!!

I do have my Loc Magnum still. I bought the Pro38 5G case for L1/2 as it has both I an J reloads available and then I will celebrate with a nice K in the Pro54 5G case that I bought too :)

Thinking ahead to L3...

I REALLY like the Extreme Wildman kit.

So that's an I297 skid for L1

A J285 classic or J335 Red Rhino for L2

Maybe a new Green3 reload to celibrate?

Sounds like fun.:D

Al

I think we had a youngster do all 3 level in one weekend last year. It didn't hurt that he has been doing rocketry longer than some adults(like me) and he is in his second year at MIT. I think Troj can say for sure if he got all 3. none the less the kid is bright!
If you have the knowhow I would give it a shot!!!
See, I have heard stories off and on over the past few years of of people doing that, but I can't understand how it would even be possible. For the Level 3, don't you have you have pretty extensive contact with the L3CC ahead of time? Submit a plan for your rocket prior to beginning construction, have interim inspections during construction, submit a plan for the recovery and have it approved, and probably jump through several other hoops before the day of the launch even arrives? I can't understand how someone can do that, obtain all of the initial and interim approvals, and have a member of the L3CC work with them for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, when the person doesn't even have Level 1 certification yet. How is this possible? I can see how a person could obtain L1 and L2 in one day, but not all three over a single weekend.

MarkII

Last edited:
MarkII,
I am not 100% sure the guy went for all 3 levels. It is just what someone had told me. As far as doing your level 3, I haven't even contemplated that one yet. I am still working on level 2. I did check what tripoli web site says and you are correct that they have to provide blueprints and parts list and other design documentation, but its not required before the start of production(at least that is how I read it. I could very well be wrong.)I think if I am reading tripoli correctly it is very possible to do all 3 levels in a weekend. I would think someone would have to be extremely knowlegeable to do so. I have problems with people who rush through levels just to say they have them(this doesn't pertain to anyone in particular). I like to learn as much as I can before moving on to the next level. It took me 4 years before I attempted my level 1.

Take Care
J

It wasn't just your post; I have seen references before to other people doing this. I did a quick review of NAR's Level 3 certification procedures, and found that they required some interim approvals at certain stages along the way before launch day. Unless the requirements were much more lax in years past, I don't see how a cert. committee member would go along with such a plan. So I was curious about how it was accomplished. I didn't intend to direct the question just to you, but to anyone else who might be familiar with similar instances. Judging from what I have heard over the years, there have been several people who have obtained certification at Levels 1, 2 and 3 in an astonishingly brief amount of time, such as over a weekend or during an LDRS. I am curious to hear how any of them pulled it off.

MarkII

I have seen it done 3 times. 2 fliers had simply been making a return after letting their membership lapse. [both had been L-3 for years]

The third was a young flier whom had just turned 18. He had been flying for 5 years under his fathers supervision and had flown multiple.
M and N motors.

So all had years of experience and the rockets ready to go day of show.

All were also successful.

This year at LDRS Eric Gates [RIP] son, managed getting his L-1 and 2 The L-3 attempt would have been a success but for the NC bulkplate pulling off. He built the rocket in 12hrs and the epoxy on the NC just hadn't cured enough.
He too had multiple years of flying big projects under his belt.

So it can be, and has been done for various reasons, without being a hazard to anyone.

I am curious to hear how any of them pulled it off.

Preplanning, knowing your TAPs well ahead of time, and having everything in a line for the attempts motor-, rocket-, and avionics-wise. It's not *that* hard to pull off, especially if you get a nice day of flying weather to do it in... it's just three flights, really. I did all of mine at ROCStock back in 2005, right after I turned 18. It's definitely possible!

(My L2 was on a 5GJ285... CTIs are perfect for quick prep and turnaround time. Not that it takes that much longer to build an AT motor... L1 here with an H180 and L3 with an M1297. I'm an equal opportunity AP consumer...)

certs.jpg

I am curious if there is a difference between NAR and Tripoli. Since they are different Governing bodies. Does anyone know if that is possible?
I honestly don't know for sure if that is the case.

I am not familiar with the NAR rules, but there is nothing in the TRA rules that says you have to have L1 or L2 certifications for any length of time before attempting an L3 cert. In fact, after a search of the Tripoli website, I couldn't find anything that requires any previous certification to attempt a L3 certification flight. It does require one previous successful L2 flight with electronics being the primary means of recovery system deployment. I assume that would require an L2 certification, but I could not find any place on the site that spelled it out.

It also doesn't require a certification to build the rocket and have all the pre flight inspections done.

BTW: Does anyone know where a full copy of the TRA by-law can be found? I couldn't find a link on the web site. If they are there, they should be much more prominent.

K... on to chutes...

Are Rocketman chutes still generally regarded as the best or is there something new and better out there?

MarkII,
I am not 100% sure the guy went for all 3 levels. It is just what someone had told me. As far as doing your level 3, I haven't even contemplated that one yet. I am still working on level 2. I did check what tripoli web site says and you are correct that they have to provide blueprints and parts list and other design documentation, but its not required before the start of production(at least that is how I read it. I could very well be wrong.)I think if I am reading tripoli correctly it is very possible to do all 3 levels in a weekend. I would think someone would have to be extremely knowledgeable to do so. I have problems with people who rush through levels just to say they have them(this doesn't pertain to anyone in particular). I like to learn as much as I can before moving on to the next level. It took me 4 years before I attempted my level 1.

Take Care
J

That would be Andrew Wimmer xenon. He had been flying under his dad's certification for quite awhile. He knows and has flown more than most adults me included. :rolleyes: He has known his TAPS from the time he started flying with T.H.O.R. Nebraska. troj, our prefect, would never have let him fly if he didn't think he was ready.

Hey Bill nice to see ya around.
I was pretty sure he went for it, but I didn't want to say he did if I wasn't for sure. I agree the kid is just plane smart. You don't get into MIT if you don't know something.

By the way Bill, are we going to see you in march or april. I am hoping to do my Level 2 in april. If I can get my supliers to get the parts i need:(.
Take care

J

Back