Getting rid of all-thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sled glued into couplers. Bulkheads glued in to ends of couplers. No all-thread.

And a huge length of rocket body consumed.....
OK if you have the space.

Sled glued into couplers. Bulkheads glued in to ends of couplers. No all-thread.

And a huge length of rocket body consumed.....
OK if you have the space.

Yes, and I did. However, I never repeated this design in another rocket.

One all-thread and a pair of eye-nuts are is all we ever use.
Drill a hole through the ends of the all-thread and insert a cotter pin to eliminate the possibility of an eye-nut unscrewing.
+1 on this method. Most of my 4" rockets are built this way.

Here's what one of my typical EBay ends look like: (sorry, older picture)

View attachment 310722

This was BEFORE we found the Eye-nuts.
Now substitute an EyeNut for the UBolt.
Only issue is that you can't put the swivel onto the Eyebolt, so that gets sewn to the other end of the TN that's permanently sewn onto the Eye-Nut. Then I put heat-shrink over the first ~10 inches of TN to protect it from the BP blast.

I'll have to take a more up to date picture and post it here....maybe later today.

I did that with a Go-Devil 38 and and modified an AT ARCAS to fly H128's and did the central all-thread for that ebay. The ARCAS doesn't need a tracker 'cause I can't use anything larger than an H128 due to plastic fin flutter.
The Go-Devil was a very tight fit with the central all-thread and a Raven altimeter. Could only fit a small 3.7V battery and a mag switch. The tracker rides in the nosecone.

With the small rockets the all thread is so small one can't really drill and use a cotter pin. I bought some 6-32 eyenuts custom made by 3 Dogs Rocketry when they were available and threadlock one end and use a lock washer on the "free" end. A kevlar loop goes through the nut eye with a swivel to minimize the risk of it "unscrewing" So far out of dozen flights it hasn't happened. I keep swearing I'm going to stop doing small rockets like this 'cause it's a pain in a small space.

I can conceive how this installation can work Fred especially since you've proven it and as you already know, a Yagi on the receive end really helps. There is the potential of Rf interference riding close to the deployment altimeter but I've never had a problem with the 16mW Beeline GPS in this regard nor have I seen anyone mention that here. More powerful trackers and issues can arise based on the altimeters design. Kurt

+1 on this method. Most of my 4" rockets are built this way.

Yeah but be careful with really big stuff. Friend made a 12" rocket with the usual two parallel all-thread with thick plywood bulkheads. DD rocket and came down fast under drogue. I didn't witness it but when the main deployed, it ripped the ebay
apart! Later said he should'a used a thicker plywood or I said laminate both sides of the plywood bulkheads with G10 along with using four thick all-thread rods instead of two. It's easy to surmise a fix even though I've never done anything that
large and doubt I ever will. Kurt

Back