getting permission to fly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdaddynerd

Reaction score
hello fellow rocket heads,
i have been away from the hobby for almost a decade but i am now at the point in life where my kids are old enough to fly and i am getting them interested in the science and fun of rocketry. I am however running into issues that i never had 15+ years ago. i have been trying to find a place to launch and all the local areas i have tried i have been shut out of. I have 2 locations yet to ask permission of.
I thought i would jump on here and see if anyone had any form letters that may include a brief explanation of the hobby and its high level of safety. Or any other resources i may be able to use to successfully obtain permission to launch. thanks.

Here's a list of Rocketry Clubs near Waynesboro, PA. The nearest listed is about 30 miles away. That may be a bit of a trek, especially with kids, but NARHAMS appears to be a very active, well-run club and I encourage you to give it a try.

Flying with a group is a lot of fun. Not only is there the social element of being around others who enjoy rockets, but you get to see a lot of rockets launched!

-- Roger

This may not be the "right" answer, but when it comes to low power stuff at parks, schools etc, I follow the idea "Easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission". I know it isn't the "right" thing to do, but it works a lot better than asking a bureaucrat for permission. After all, I think if someone from the city/cops came and told you you can't, I can't imagine them ticketing you if you pack up and leave. Especially in front of your kids

This may not be the "right" answer, but when it comes to low power stuff at parks, schools etc, I follow the idea "Easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission". I know it isn't the "right" thing to do, but it works a lot better than asking a bureaucrat for permission. After all, I think if someone from the city/cops came and told you you can't, I can't imagine them ticketing you if you pack up and leave. Especially in front of your kids

Yeah I agree if you launch at park use streamers for recovery. It will keep the rocket from landing where you don want it to and keep the neighbors happy ....

If you join the NAR, you automatically get $2,000,000 worth of liability insurance, provided you follow the NAR safety code. Telling someone you are insured, and that you are following a nationally accepted safety code, are two good selling points.

But I agree--joining a club is the best thing to do. I am a member of the aforementioned NARHAMS. We fly monthly at a big field in Mount Airy, MD. Check it on a map and see how the drive is for you. We have other Pennsylvanians, as well as Marylanders and west Virginians at most of our launches. PM me if you want to ask specific Q's.

From Waynesboro, you're only 45 minutes or so away from Narhams - not a bad drive in the rocketry world.... Right off 70 in New Market.

Some of us also started a section in West Virginia, with 3 fields we rotate at different times/seasons, and probably not much further for you - straight shot down 81.
Check out the websites listed in my signature line.

I'm lucky that there's alway's been a place to launch on school property. I keep 'em low and leave the place cleaner than when I got there. I'm also very lucky the schools have a piece of property a mile and a half away that is a quarter mile wide by a mile long. It was a farm given to the school district for soccer fields. There hasn't been the money needed to develop the site so there's a huge open field to play in :)

From Waynesboro, you're only 45 minutes or so away from Narhams - not a bad drive in the rocketry world.... Right off 70 in New Market.

Some of us also started a section in West Virginia, with 3 fields we rotate at different times/seasons, and probably not much further for you - straight shot down 81.
Check out the websites listed in my signature line.

yes, i saw Narhams on facebook and i am planing on taking my kids to the launch on the 21st! They are excited and even my dad said he wants to come. 3 generations of rocketeers! but i was hoping to knock off some of the rust with a closer launch prior to that day. i have asked and been denied access to two locations so far and was looking for some help to avoid the whole forgiveness/permission debate :) Do you know if Narhams has launch equipment? we constructed our own launch pad and (if i may brag sarcastically) dual power source launch controller that i am not sure will even work... so i know in my old club we had like 2 or 3 stations set up that everyone used.
and i apologize for switching topics mid thread.

Asking permission is daunting, especially if the place or person is completely unrelated or unknown, except maybe it looked like a good location. It is also awkward, there's no way around it. Think about it. It sounds a little weird if someone unknown comes up and asks to just do something on your property. Some people will probably say it's not hard at all, and good for them. If you have a salesman personality, it probably isn't as hard. NAR membership and insurance is a good starting point.

I'm a fan of municipal parks and sports fields. You need to look up your local laws, codes, and ordinances. Then look up the parks department rules. Most places have these available. If rockets are not banned, then you can go launch away. Let people know what you are doing and don't launch any monster-sized rockets, and everything should be fine. Clubs are great, I like clubs, but I always would recommend someone find a way to launch their own stuff, whenever they want, and to show off your hobby to anyone, any time they can watch; not have to tell them, "there's a club launch an hour away in 2 weeks." We should try our hardest to keep local fields and not just default to "Find a club," whenever someone asks.

Do you know if Narhams has launch equipment?

We do. We provide 1/8 and 3/16 rods, launching is done by the launch manager/assistant. Just bring your rockets, engines, wadding and igniters, and plan to have a good time! I'll probably bring my kids one of those two days also. Extra fun because it's a big two-day event.

I live in VA - looks like we are about equidistant from Mt. Airy. You have a slightly longer (distance) but slightly shorter (time) trip.

As far as finding a good place to launch locally, I wish you best of luck. Where I live, the county prohibits launches from county property (at least schools and parks), which means I would need to find private property outside of the FAA's 15 mile no nothin' zone around National airport.

Argument to be made either way - at Mt. Airy, lots of folks available to help you get rid of the rust. Just call us the rust remover of rocketry! Wait....

Last edited:
haha sounds good to me. We are coming on Saturday and i will bring extra wd-40 for my rust. And at least one flight worthy rocket :) I will be hard to miss, i will most likely be the biggest guy there. And the only guy to show up with 3 kids and 1 e2x slap together rocket lol

Asking permission is daunting, especially if the place or person is completely unrelated or unknown, except maybe it looked like a good location. It is also awkward, there's no way around it. Think about it. It sounds a little weird if someone unknown comes up and asks to just do something on your property. Some people will probably say it's not hard at all, and good for them. If you have a salesman personality, it probably isn't as hard. .

I don't agree it's not that hard. I'm a very shy person for first contact, it take me a lot to go out the car and go ask the farmers, but I do it, last week I go ask another land owner and he told me yes, I have not yet find one who say no, if you have kid or plan to bring kids at launch, i's more easy as peoples like to help kids. You don't need to be a salesman, you just need to lift you pants and get out and ask.

I just got back to this thread, There are all types and skill levels there, show up and have fun - there will be plenty to do and should be a lot of people there. And don't be bashful about you're E2X - there's a lot of them there too !

I'm lucky that there's alway's been a place to launch on school property. I keep 'em low and leave the place cleaner than when I got there. I'm also very lucky the schools have a piece of property a mile and a half away that is a quarter mile wide by a mile long. It was a farm given to the school district for soccer fields. There hasn't been the money needed to develop the site so there's a huge open field to play in :)

that gave me a great idea! Thanks!!! This thread has been very helpful i am glad i found this place. I am going to continue my search and i am also going to renew my long expired NAR membership. Looking forward to the upcoming launch! thanks all for the helpful support!

Back