Getting into Scale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yoda's Dumb Question of the Day™: I want to learn more about methods of scale detailing, and go beyond "sport scale".

My Google-fu is failing me at turning up "Scale Rocket Modeling for Dummies", so, does anyone have any hints on good books, blogs, etc for "how to", and maybe some suggestions for a good "first scale" model, that has some detail (and instructions on how to do said detailing)...?

Obviously, I'm not interested in doing a Saturn V right now, but something along the lines of any number of sounding rockets, missiles, etc, that have rivets and panel lines and brackets and greeblies.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

For starters, go to the "Scale" threads here on TRF and read through other modelers build threads to glean as much info from them as you can. I'm also an R/C modeler and I spend a lot of time on a scale forum just looking at other people's work and learning from their techniques (and mistakes).

iirc, there is a book by Peter Alway called "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" it may be out of print but has some excellent information.

Look at TLP (The Launch Pad) kits for scale kits & ideas. Some have turned some of these kits into pretty sweet looking models. A good start at the very least. (And TLP kits have their own set of "issues" depending on who you talk to!)

Yoda's Dumb Question of the Day™: I want to learn more about methods of scale detailing, and go beyond "sport scale".

<snip>

Any thoughts?

Take a few hours and wade through this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...s-Little-Joe-II-Tips-Tricks-and-Modifications

Even if you never build a Little Joe II, the techniques discussed there can be applied to just about any model rocket you ever build, scale or not. I'll also offer the opinion that "scale model rockets" are just a subset of the scale model universe, so just any technique that works for a static scale model has value. As an example: I steal lots of techniques from the model railroad and ship modeling worlds, yet I've never built a model train or boat.

James

You can find a lot of information on plastic model forums. A lot of the exterior detailing is handled in a similar way.

Back