Getting in Contact With People at FAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketHunter

Reaction score
I have been trying to get in touch with someone at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry launch site to organize a launch there with my schools rocketry club, however I have submitted multiple times both the 'Contact Us' and site request forms over the past couple months and have gotten no responses - does anyone know of any other ways to reach them?

It's required for a couple of reasons, but mainly I need the 50k waiver - rocket should go ~45k' (Loki 54/4000). A year ago or so during the planning stages of the build I had used the online form to ask about the legality of having a Loki motor shipped directly to them and used there, and was told that they could handle it no problem w/ their permits. However since then I haven't been able to reach anyone to actually set that process up.

Try contacting user High Desert Rocketry (Rick Mascheck) on this forum. He flies a lot at FAR and could probably help.

As long as it's not a liquid or otherwise outside the TRA safety code, you can launch at a Tripoli launch with a 50K waiver. And in a State without California HPR restrictions. Montana and New Mexico, that I know of.

As long as it's not a liquid or otherwise outside the TRA safety code, you can launch at a Tripoli launch with a 50K waiver. And in a State without California HPR restrictions. Montana and New Mexico, that I know of.
For my edification: are MN & NM places with CA-like restrictions, or two locations with 50k waivers handy? If the latter, there's KS as well, although obviously a bit far away.

September 15, 16, and 17, AeroPac will be hosting XPRS at Black Rock, Nv. Unfortunately, there's some military closure thing that's going to push us off our primary launch coordinates, resulting in a lower that we would like waiver of 65K. And it's an Rx launch, so...

Meets your waiver requirements, and it isn't in Kansas. Or Kalifornica.

Our waiver in Montana (MT, MN is Minnesota) is for 52,000' MSL. Because we launch from a location that's 5,600 in elevation the actual maximum altitude above ground level would be 46k'.
We have nothing like the California State Fire Marshal restrictions but we are very careful of fires; we don't allow sparky motors and there's a chance our July launch will be cancelled due to the hot dry conditions we are experiencing right now.

Steve Shannon

For my edification: are MN & NM places with CA-like restrictions, or two locations with 50k waivers handy? If the latter, there's KS as well, although obviously a bit far away.

Montana and New Mexico and Kansas do not have the Fire Marshall restrictions that California has.

Our 75K AGL waiver in southern NM is awaiting renewal and should be in hand by August.

At BALLS we can get 493,000'.

There should be a special award for someone who goes that high ( 493,000') and stays within the waiver cylinder (8 miles now?).
There was already prize for going >100K and landing ~25 miles away (Hi Ken!).

I believe it is 19 nautical miles radius when the maximum altitude is called in.
I am now totally separated from the running of the launch and it may have changed.

M

Thanks for the updates folks, I really do appreciate it. I don't suppose anybody keeps a list of the top AGL limits handy? Could make a neat article.

This is a great idea, even a list of AGL for all available launch sites as I get people asking me from different places around the country where they can launch above altitudes as low as 5,000'.

So unless one has been started elsewhere, I'm going to start one called
Available Altitudes (AGL) for Launch Sites.

Back